Question for a Celery Grog....Yep Celery

Hans

...err... ....is there a relation between this new topic and the Andelle river, Hans ? ;)

By the way, I'm really not a celery grog, or of any other kind of vegetable though. But, I really doubt that a celeri plant may be higher than 50-80 cm.

Make some shopping this afternoon and buy some celeri, it's really good with just salt smile.gif

Thanks gentlemen, I knew their'd be some celery experts out there. This is for a 1st Panzer Division Scenario in their drive into France after Dunkirk. There is a one liner about a "close action in amongst the celery fields outside of La Cheppe". This occurs on on June 12th, 1940.

Celery with salt, yep a thanksgiving tradition - with peanut butter? Obviously a heretic who needs burning. Actually I've had that but its not a favorite.

I get the impression from what little is written about this that the fields either provide some cover or hinderance. But I don't see a posibility of that in the pictures! Perhaps the fields were small and surrounded by rock walls or hedges?

Its on the Noblette river and seems to be in a hilly area. Anyone familar with that area of France? Its about 10 Kilometers to the NE of Chalons in the Champagne district

Geez,

This forum is too much. A guy asks a question about celery at 2:55am (which might be an indicator as to why he would ask such a question) and within hours he has two guys send him pictures of celery fields of the world! Then he gets a celery recipe. Then someone quesses what part of the world he has in mind. He says yep and then gets a tourist's guide to that region.

I don't know whether to laugh, or cry, or be very, very afraid.

DavidI

Yes, yes, true : there IS a connection between celery and the 1st German Panzer Division ! Yes ! :D

I googled a bit and found too that the small village of "La Cheppe" is a famous place for archeologists and historians, with its oppidum. I found one little picture of an aerial view :

la%20cheppe.jpg

This place is also well-known for its WWI necropola and military cemeteries.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

David, 2:55 am your time is 1:55 pm in his world. He's supposed to be working, lol, like I am right now.

Working? Heck in the Arab world Thursday and Friday are the weekend...not like you heathen infidels taking Sat and Sun off!

Originally posted by Bogdan:

Yes, yes, true : there IS a connection between celery and the 1st German Panzer Division ! Yes ! :D

I googled a bit and found too that the small village of "La Cheppe" is a famous place for archeologists and historians, with its oppidum. I found one little picture of an aerial view :

la%20cheppe.jpg

This place is also well-known for its WWI necropola and military cemeteries.

I found that interesting, I use to be an Archaeologist and I always enjoy finding a place I've not heard of. Great "Camp d'Attila" shall find its way into the next CM map.

Latin has nothing to do with it. The word is english, it just happens to have roots from another language.

Even so, it's a weird one. Webster's lists the plurals as necopolises, necropoles, necropoleis, or necropoli.

The first one on the list is the most common and, for english, the most correct.

I'm really not sure what the justification for the second and the fourth is supposed to be. Necropoles is the plural of the French necropole, and necropoli is just plain illiterate.

The pedantic form is necropoleis, of which I do not approve. However, for the curious, the nominative feminine plural of the Greek noun polis, poleos (3rd declension) is poleis. The -a ending mentioned in another post is only appropriate for a nominative or accusative neuter plural. That ending does work, however, for neuter plurals in both Greek and Latin because they are surprisingly close in form and structure.

Please don't make me do this again. It gives me headaches and nightmares.

Sorry, Michael, that was aimed at the construction, not at you. The form has insinuated itself into the language and is probably a legitimate usage at this point, so you're completely blameless. Because of my past I have to take a dim view of treating Greek words as if they were Latin.

Please forgive the unintended insult. Whenever I have to talk about Greek and Latin grammar I start behaving...oddly.

Originally posted by Philippe:

Please forgive the unintended insult. Whenever I have to talk about Greek and Latin grammar I start behaving...oddly.

I understand perfectly. I get that way too when the uncultured begin raving about how with a few more tanks Rommel could have taken the Middle East.

;)

Michael

Originally posted by Philippe:

Sorry, Michael, that was aimed at the construction, not at you. The form has insinuated itself into the language and is probably a legitimate usage at this point, so you're completely blameless. Because of my past I have to take a dim view of treating Greek words as if they were Latin.

Phillipe

How are you on modern Greek? I have a few questions in regards to some Greek ELAS vs EDES vs Axis scenarios?

The only reason I still remember this is because when you're learning Greek, one of the examples that they used to give for the dative of possession is a quote from an old folksong that went "pou moi ta kala selina" which means where is my lovely celery (lit. where to me the beautiful celeries). The verb to be is omitted, and selina, in this instance, is neuter plural. Normally you would use the nominative singular and refer to it as "to selinon" or just "selinon", the "to" being the neuter nominative singular of the definite article that you tack onto things to make it clear what case they are in.

Celery was important stuff to the ancient Greeks, and they used celery leaves to crown victors at the Isthmian and Nemean games. There was also an important city in Sicily named after it -- the city of Selinus (gr. Selinous, -ountos) used the celery stalk as its national symbol and put it on its coins (much as Cyrene used a contraceptive plant that was also the source of its wealth and its hedonistic reputation). Here is an example of a coin from Selinus:

CoinfromSelinus.jpg

When you use the roman alphabet the word looks a bit like "selene", the word for moon, but the resemblance is superficial and doesn't really work in Greek.

My modern greek is pretty shaky. There are actually two forms of it, the real language (demotiki) and the made-up language (katharevousa). They write the newspapers in katharevousa and it has a lot of ancient words, so I can sometimes eke out the sense of it. But what you really need is a modern speaker, of which there is no shortage.