Operation Tiger

I was just looking at a History Channel show on Great Military Blunders about nine German torpedo boats stumbling on an Operation Overlord training mission called "Operation Tiger". The German boats killed over 800 Allied troops that day. Ten of those men had info on the Normandy landings.

I had not heard about this incident, I swear you learn something new everyday!!

BigMik1

Another great disaster on Operation Tiger occured on the beaches of Slapton sands on the day prior to the e-boat attack.

The American units who were acting as the defending force were given instructions to fire at the attacking troops. They were issued with live ammunition for their machine guns. The defending forces then proceeded to gun down the troops coming off the landing craft. A british officer observing the exercise looked on in dis-belief. When he said to the machine gunners that they were shooting their own men, the defenders relied that this is what they were told to do.

Then later the RN shelled the beach with the soldiers still on it.

I think all told 150 US troops were killed by the friendly fire.

Mark