Anti tank Guns.Why bother?

Juan... I'd never comment on how the English spell their own language!

You've got to remember, the rest of us (Newfies, Yanks, Kiwis and Ozzies) are just borrowing the language from them (and i'm sure the English feel like we're the drunk neighbor who inevitably drives over the hedge shears a few times before giving it back!) until the Pax Britannica returns.

tongue-firmly-in-cheek

Zimorodok

(Denver, USA)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey the Brits just borrowed it from others - French, Germans, various Scandenavians, Gaels, Romans, etc.

And the bloody spelling is all Mr Johnson's fault anyway - there' no particular reason why their and there need to be different, and as for the 11 or 13 or whatever different ways of pronouncing "-ough".....grrr...

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

I tell ya, those English, they couldn't spell their way out of a paper bag...

It's the French influence. It's ruined them. They'll never live up to their potential as a result. Always be a second rate nation. Pity, they showed such promise early on. Now Stonehenge, there was a piece of work! Impressively elegant. Massive, but without excess. Precise but not showy.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

I also think IMHO though that the Sword and Shield tactic would best be used on large enough battle maps and given enough time, especially in dusty CMAK moreso than in CMBB where I have mostly so far tried to employ this kind of ruse. :cool:

I think it probably works best in the first three years of the war where tank guns aren't very effective at long range and their armor is thin enough to be vulnerable to the ATGs. The situation in NA was ideal for the Germans because, prior to the introduction of the 6pdr on the other side, their long 50mm ATG was more powerful than anything else. And as you point out, you need a pretty big map to have enough room to make all this work, and the dust of NA gives a screen for the ATGs to unlimber and get set up in. I think basically, you want to advance your tanks just far enough to get the other guy's attention, maybe exchange a few shots, and then pull back before any serious damage is done. It's the kind of tactic that needs practice to get all the timing right. It also helps if your opponent is not excessively bright.

:D

Michael </font>

well us brits dont tell the french and the other countries we borrowed are language from that there spelling it wrong. plus atleast we had the decency to put a newish kinda language together, rather than just grab one and change a few spellings.

Originally posted by roqf77:

well us brits dont tell the french and the other countries we borrowed are language from that there spelling it wrong. plus atleast we had the decency to put a newish kinda language together, rather than just grab one and change a few spellings.

"Well, us Brits don't tell the French and other countries we borrowed our language from that they're spelling it wrong. Plus at least we had the decency to put a newish kind of language together, rather than just grab one and change a few spellings."

You're welcome.

I think what my compatriot is saying is;

Talent borrows, genius steals.

No, it has an s. Defense. And don't even start with all those extra "u"s. Colour. Favourite. It's crazy, I tell you, crazy! I tell ya, those English, they couldn't spell their way out of a paper bag...

Well bugger me it would seem you are right.

I have just been looking at the website of the American fense association.

American fense association.

Oh no wait a minute thats wrong. :D

And everyone knows that everything that sounds the same is spelled the same.

However, despite our language differences, we can all come together and bask in the awesomeness of this paragraph, found on the American Fence Association website:

"Fence professionals who want to improve their skills and learn the latest techniqes should attend Field Training School at its new central location in Tulsa, Oklahoma."

However, despite our language differences, we can all come together and bask in the awesomeness of this paragraph, found on the American Fence Association website:

"Fence professionals who want to improve their skills and learn the latest techniqes should attend Field Training School at its new central location in Tulsa, Oklahoma."

So you are telling me that you actualy looked at the site then.

And i thought i was sad. tongue.gif

Yeah, I didn't just look at it, I perused it.

As you seem to like the subject matter on display there i have signed you up for the online version of their magazine.I hope you don't mind as i used you email address from this site.

No its allright you don't need to thank me.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by juan_gigante:

But Michael, Stonehenge wouldn't be nearly as cool if it were spelled Stounehenge.

What's the matter, can't you see I'm agreeing with you, you illiterate bugger!

:mad:

Michael </font>

But bats will come out!

And Michael, I was agreeing with you. I was saying that whats makes Stonehenge so cool is that stripped down spelling. We agree that extra "u"s are lame. We agree Stonehenge is cool. I was merely adding an addendum to your point. Besides, us Washingtonians have to stick together against the rest of the lamezors on this board.

Originally posted by roqf77:

hey. Extra u's? what the hell are you talking about? they cant be extra if there there in the first place!

That's how I feel, it was all Mr Webers' fault for not keeping them in in his American Dictionary in the first bloody place. Dumbasre. :rolleyes:

[ August 01, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]