Why no Commandos ??

They've also got British LRDG (later SAS) special forces in N. Africa (though I can't recall precisely what they're called in-game), and the U.S. 10th Mountain in Italy are special-purpose units.

No commandos though, or OSS, or Gestapo, or MP units. CM seems to concentrate more on maneuver forces. They do have Partisans in CMBB, but by mid-war these were pretty substantial maneuver units in their own right!

Originally posted by Rupert_2:

I've just been wondering why there are no Army or Marine Commando units but there are US Rangers ???? :(

Commandos are easily simulated. There are a number of minor units not represented in the game (there are LRDG units in CMAK?) but which one can easily recreate using bits and pieces from existing units.

I made a green beret mod for CMBO, using the British helmet as model. Used in combination with two other mods - I believe it was a mix of Andrews mods and... rats, I forget, but you know the man who made a truly massive effort in creating, among other things, armpatches for UK units. Looked like this:

Streetfight.bmp

These particular guys were Commando Kieffer, we made some late war ones with Denison smocks and so on.

Had the berets open for download at the time, zero downloads in four months smile.gif So I took 'em down.

But like I said any unit can be recreated with a bit of work really. I even managed to recreate Italian marines smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion

Well, apart from wanting to do some NW Europe scenarios for CMAK with the Marine Commandos involved...

They took part in a number actions in company strength at least in Africa and the Med ( Litani river, Sicily, Salerno,Crete, Termoli, Anzio, The Dalmatian Islands & Lake Commacchio.) More so than the Rangers.. :(

The Para's don't cut it for a replacement for Marines...Missing the Green beret. Really the Ranger's shouldn't have been included in CMAK....Seems again the Commandos are forgotten.

I'm sorry never saw Dandelion's mod for CMBO, though I haven't play very much of CMBO for sometime now....

I take it you can't do the same for CMAK...??

No commandos though, or OSS, or Gestapo, or MP units.

What , no Gestapo?! :( I'd just luuuuuuuuuuuuv to have em to take care of PoWs escaping when friendlies get close...

P.S.

They've also got British LRDG (later SAS) special forces in N. Africa (though I can't recall precisely what they're called in-game)

They do have em in CMAK? R u sure u don't mean the "Recon Assault" platoons? Cause I couldn't find any LRDG platoons...

P.P.S.

Wouldn't it be cool if Commando units had special abilities like they can't be "noise spotted" unless they open up , and they have silenced Sten SMGs (that r hard 2 hear) or sticky bombs (I think all alied untis should have em). And instead of the idiot sharopshooters u have snipers that actualy get 1 kill for 1 shot. Wouldn't it be also nice to have motor boats for water assaults on birdges or for quick getaways. Speaking of bridges what about special demolition squads with extra powerful explosives and knowledge of where exactly to place em so that they can take out a heavy bridge with 1 shot?

Just my 2 cents on what abilities Commando units should have if they r added to CMAK in patch 1.02

Originally posted by Rupert_2:

Making the beret was no real problem, took only half a day or so (would have taken an hour at most if I had had any serious software like PSP or Photoshop. Finding the right colour took some time tho, Jon S helped me with that. The lion part of work was the unimods by Andrew and correct patches by Darknight. I believe these are available for CMAK format no? Not sure there.

The British helmet in CMAK is not possible to convert because of the tropical helmet peak, but the paratrooper helmet is easily turned into a beret. One can use ordinary UK uniforms to replace the Denisons.

I need to make green berets, and collect the rest, for a scenario involving Marines. Doing the same with Italian marines. So I had decided to do a remake. Haven't gotten around to it yet because playtesting isn't finished, and if testing reveals a lot of error I'll have to take care of that first. But the berets will be around.

I'll announce them like I did last time, and this time maybe I'll get 1 download then smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion

"sure u don't mean the "Recon Assault" platoons?"

Okay, maybe I'm confused. What exactly is a Brit North African 'recon assault' platoon? The name 'recon assault' sounds pretty darned much like a description of LRDG and the later-war spawn of LRDG. Unless there's a totally separate unit by that name that I don't know about.

Originally posted by Dandelion:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rupert_2:

I need to make green berets, and collect the rest, for a scenario involving Marines. Doing the same with Italian marines. So I had decided to do a remake. Haven't gotten around to it yet because playtesting isn't finished, and if testing reveals a lot of error I'll have to take care of that first. But the berets will be around.

I'll announce them like I did last time, and this time maybe I'll get 1 download then smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"sure u don't mean the "Recon Assault" platoons?"

Okay, maybe I'm confused. What exactly is a Brit North African 'recon assault' platoon? The name 'recon assault' sounds pretty darned much like a description of LRDG and the later-war spawn of LRDG. Unless there's a totally separate unit by that name that I don't know about.

I say. You're right. LOL. They bloody well are LRDG units. Fits OOB and WE models (have no quality such but as far as I can see from my Osprey-class-quality source here).

Those recon assault had struck me as odd, but I hadn't really pondered who they actually were. Just noted that I had never heard about them. But of course. Its obvious now. Recon and assault units. How many units were there with those two tasks specifically? smile.gif How monumentally silly not to get it myself. Of course in my installation they're called "Späh Sturm Zug" which really led my thoughts away.

Turns out my CMAK has LRDGs then. That sort of enrichened the game with a single stroke of a pen - er, well a number of strokes of keys I guess. Thanks there Mike.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Are you sure about that? I ask because these Recon Assault platoons given in the game are available to most commenwealth forces throughout all the years covered IIRC. I know that Canadian troops have them showing as late as 1944 so you could be wrong.

What little I know about LRDG off the top of my head, they started out with a core of real 'Lawrence of Arabia' eccentric types attacking the Italians really quite early in the war, and after some spectacular successes were expanded... and expanded... and expanded. Into what official unit designation I don't know. 'Recon Regiments'?

And yes, I know. Lawrence was WWI.

Originally posted by JonS:

They are the Assault Troop from the recce regts. See the British "Reconnaissance Regiment 1943" or the Canadian "Reconnaissance Regiment 1944" available here.

Er... I kind of feel like I just found out that Nessie does not exist. I was so happy there for 12 hours...

Still. Real great to have the assault troops of recce regiments along too I guess. Not quite the same flair, no way near the same glamour and boy-hero value. No beards, no Sh'mags, no hooks. Still...

Cheers

Dandelion

Regarding the Brit Helmets in AK,

..I've replaced the plain green and desert tin Hats with a sellection scrim netted ones I used in BO. These scrim Helmets look cool on the Brit paras, US Abn and Rangers in AK because of the better ploy's in game...I use a lot of Gerry kit taken from BB as wel. smile.gif