No snow in the trees?

Okay I see where ya are coming from now, it appears that either BTS stopped the engine from loading the winter BMP skins for any of the tree options, or this got broke in the last update.

It just seems to be loading the summer skins for either the pines, woods or scattered trees.

Thats going to be a real visual bummer for western europe winter battles.

All the more reason to keep BO around I guess.

I just went through this stuff again and now with this BFC version if I set for either light or sno-deep snow, I do get snowy pine trees and leaf-less hardwood trees, as long as the temperature is set at either forzen or extreme cold.

In cmbb you can get the leaf-less hardwood trees even if the temp is just cool, but no snowy softwood trees unless the conditions are set the same as cmak.

What a hoot this is, now I can get the snow-less, leafless hardwood trees in cmak all a sudden with the TEMP at cool or cold, snow or snowless ground, as in cmbb.

And as stated leaf-less, snowy hardwood and snowy pine trees are there for me if the ground condition is one of the three snow conditions and the TEMP is set for at least frozen.

So my cmak (BFC) version is working the very same as my cmbb (CDV) version in this regard.

I get snowy trees for any one of the 12 months a year as long as the right region is picked and ground is set for one of the snow conditions, plus the temperature is set at either frozen or extreme cold.

The time of the year hasn't got anything to do with it.

The trigger is the ground condition, temperature and the region has to be Italy, even All Combined won't work in this case.

Cool or cold will get you leafless hardwood trees, either with or without the ground snow.

Though unlike snowy trees, just plain leafless hardwood trees on snowless ground does seemed to be tied into the time of year. It has to be at least December.

Frozen of extreme cold and one of the ground snow conditions plus the correct region will bring on the snowy trees, regardless of the time of the year.

I noticed though, for me anyway that things are a little buggy, especially if your setting for different regions in one session and come back to Italy, it seems to take a lot of toying around to snap the editor out of some sort of blue funk, it seems to get itself into.

I haven't tested this in CMAK, but I know that in CMBB you can load up a March scenario in Kharkov and the trees are covered with lush, verdant, summer foliage.

I was wondering about this and forgot about it. Then last month I started looking at the trees where I live.

For most of the month of March they were completely bare. At the very end of the month a few of them had light-green pinheads that are starting to turn into proto-leaves this month.

And someone that I work with used to live a bit north of Kiev, in a climate zone that was not too different from the area I was interested.

So I asked her, and she told me that sometimes there was a little snow on the ground (we got snow where I lived last month a few times), and that the weather was similar to here, a little bit colder, and windier (nothing to block that wind blowing off the Eurasian steppe).

Now to keep this in perspective, you've got to realize that we're talking about what the middle of Russia and the Ukraine look like in March sixty years after the fact. Some of those winters during the war years were the coldest of the century (I think the bad one was 44/45). And we've had half a century of greenhouse gases and a bit of global warming -- Western Europe didn't used to get green winters, but it happens with such frequency these days that many people probably thought Tom's light snow mod for CMBO is what the Ardennes offensive looked like at the height of the fighting (it's not, but it is what it probably looked like for the first day or two: after that it must have looked like Alaska in January).

So I guess what this long rant is about is that the climate (as opposed to the weather) needs some tweaking. There should actually be something like six or eight seasons: one or two for summer (one is probably enough), possibly as many as three for fall (one that looks a bit like summer, one that has some changing leaves, one that looks like New England in autumn, one with few leaves and a lot of bare trees, and one with few leaves, bare trees and a little snow), three for winter (no leaves and no snow, light snow, heavy snow), and three for spring (no leaves, the possibility of a little light snow, light spring foliage -- what we don't have now --, heavy spring foliage -- looks like summer only a little lighter in color and not as full).

And all of this gets a bit different in extreme climate zones like Finland and Libya.

I've heard tell that many of the BTS crew actually come into contact with trees during their daily lives. I can understand why they made the simplification that they did (three seasons instead of four), but wish that they had made more concessions to the few of us who actually have access to Central Park and can see what those things called trees really look like.

If I ever find myself with nothing to do, I'll try renumbering a set of non-snow covered trees for use as March foliage. Of course it will make summer foliage look like something living on the edge of a chemical spill (like those weird swamps in New Jersey just outside New York City).

• 4 months later...