Sven Hessel anyone?

For no particular reason while playing CM the other night, I remembered an old friend of mine who used to read what I think were fictional novels by an author called 'Sven Hessel', although I could be slightly wrong with the name and whether the content was purely fictional or partly based on fact.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because these books were based on the fightings from a German perspective during WW2 and my friend kept boasting about how good they were to read. He even manged to persuade me to read one or two from his vast collection, although it's pretty vague to me now, but I do remember thinking that the content was interesting and different from anything I'd read before.

Does anybody know anything about this author and if so can you please disclose any information possible, as I think these books could be of some real value with regard to scenario design, or not as the case may be?

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

[snips]

I remembered an old friend of mine who used to read what I think were fictional novels by an author called 'Sven Hessel', [snips]

Does anybody know anything about this author and if so can you please disclose any information possible, as I think these books could be of some real value with regard to scenario design, or not as the case may be?

I think it is the considered opinion of most authorities on military history that the works of Sven Hassel are as reliable and worthwhile as "Peter Rabbit, Tank Killer", just less entertaining.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Sergei:

What about Jaroslav Hasek? Would his Svejk be a good source for realistic WWI scenarios?

Besides the Pickwick Papers, the funniest book I have ever read. :D:D

Oh, and Voinovich's The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin is a hoot too!

Originally posted by Antonius 007:

You may find this usefull links smile.gif :

http://www.fact-index.com/s/sv/sven_hassel.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A379406

Greetz,

Hans

Most interesting. I have several of his books. I was never quite sure what to make of them. I read them in High School and have kept them. I haven't even looked at them in over 25 years. If nothing else they are certainly good for a blast from the past... :D

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Sven Hassel is perfectly realistic, if you believe such things as US Marines landing at Anzio waving samurai swords.

What would be the rarity penalty for that? :confused: </font>

Originally posted by John D Salt:

I think it is the considered opinion of most authorities on military history that the works of Sven Hassel are as reliable and worthwhile as "Peter Rabbit, Tank Killer", just less entertaining.

All the best,

John.

Ah, gods, how I live for a thread that brings up that complete and utter military humbug, poseur, and lying sack of ****e, 'Sven Hassel'. Or for another thread debating whether 'Guy Sajer' ever did ought but write a book as an Alsation Frenchman.

It's then that you get the Grogs indulging in real satire.

Frankly, from what I've seen, the various 'Adventures of Sven Hassel' are about as realistic as Nazi Party Heroic Singsongs, and less likely to be real than Eric Von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods?".

Mr. Salt: A very nice reference to how fecking stupid 'Sven Hassel's' works are, with a nice nod to Peter Rabbit...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Sven Hassel is perfectly realistic, if you believe such things as US Marines landing at Anzio waving samurai swords.

The particular title for that book I think was 'Monte Cassino'.

Even Aussies got a mention as fighting in Italy which draws me to the conclusion that perhaps Sven confused a pacific island with Anzio, and that the 27th Penal Panzer Regiment was actually part of the Imperial Nippon army?

Regardless, I overlook the 100% historical innacuracy and read the books every now and then for entertainment. Something about Porta's tall stories gives me the giggles.

Mace

Heh. I read - and collected - all of Hassels books while I was aged between about 13 and 15. I thought they were wonderful, right up the with Leo Kessler.

Then I bought Max Hastings "Overlord", and haven't looked back. At either of them (Hassel or Kessler). Thank god.

Though ... Porta does have some funny stories, adn interesting recipies smile.gif

Jon

P.S. LOTD is, I think, still pretty much the pick of the bunch.

Yep,

*cough* I confess to having read all of Sven's books back in my impressionable youth of sweet 16, ..that'll be in the mid 70's if I can still remember.

I loved them, thought he did a beautiful job. Capturing vividly the 'in your face' brutality, heart in your mouth action of the front..the terror

Ahhh... 'Wheels of Terror', what a title.

The Tiger attacks on the Eastern Front, Panther ambush at Cassino, Siberian assaults, the whoring.

Tiny, Porta, Alt Un, Leigioner, Barcelona, von Baring, Hinka..

Now everyone says its not true..all bull****e...

I wasn't there so I don't know...

I'm shattered, I wan't to believe.

Fantastic reading but not recomended for adults, ..oh to be young and silly again.

mmm... better checkout all of my Charles Whiting's Books now.

While I'm at it, I'll trash my 'Braveheart', 'Enemy at the Gates' and a few other suspect DVD's I loved to watch.

It was All good entertainment, then and now :D