Some pictures from the Norwegian Army Museum

Went to Oslo last year, this is what I got. Some fairly rare kit and some nice dioramas of the 1940 campaign there.

Akershus

They also have tons of books about the campaign, down to every last militia platoon, it seems. But all in Norwegian. It is enough to make a man weep.

All the best

Andreas

[ May 27, 2006, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Originally posted by Andreas:

But all in Norwegian. It is enough to make a man weep.

Stop whining and start reading. German is close to Swedish and Swedish is close to Norvegian.

With your level of intelligence I would not think it would take much effort to read the texts.

BTW: the stamping on the "unknown SMG" reads MP18 ;)

Andreas,

Pretty cool and an impressive set of displays, but a few mis/nonidentifications.

The unknown SMG is a Bergman MP 18 and is clearly identified as an MP 18 on top of the receiver. The Fritz glide bomb is NOT related to the Fritz X used to sink the BB Roma and severely damage HMS Warspite. Rather, it is a Henschel Hs-293 radio controlled glide bomb. I used to go brief Dr. Hans Mauer, then the top technical guy at Hughes Missile Systems group. During WW 2, he used to run the guidance system factory for the Hs-293.

Regards,

John Kettler

Andreas,

You're welcome! I'm curious, though, as to why your Bovington link in the resurrected old thread on that topic kicks up your Norwegian Army Museum pics instead.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Dr. Mauer enlivened an otherwise dull technical meeting in his office one day by suddenly coming out with "Ja! You Americans surprised us at Normandy!" Stunned, perplexed expressions went swiftly back and forth among us briefly, then Dr. Mauer resumed the original discussion.

Since this turned into a kit identification thread, I believe that the "Soviet Ground-to-Air missile" in your Gatow pictures is a SA-2.

"I have no idea what this is" looks somewhat like a P-80 but I'm not sure.

The "Luftwaffe assault glider" is a DFS 230.

The 109 looks like some F model, as it has one gun shooting through the engine and two mounted on the nose, but I could be wrong and wouldn't know exactly which F anyway. I'm sure someone here can tell exactly what it is.

"Soviet bomber from the 50s", Il-28 I'd guess.

I've some pics from my visit a few years ago buried somewhere that might have the plaques visible but I'm just too lazy to dig them out now...