Taking out bunkers?

Europa

Is there a way to take out bunkers frontally? They are concrete, cover about 500-1000 meters of open ground in hull down positions are alternating pak loaded and hmg loaded, are in hull down and multiple layers. I have managed to knock out most of the unprotected guns among them. At my diposal I have 3 sextons, one 95 mm churchill, 2 6 pounders, 3 priests, some 25 pounders and.. a lot of armoured cars mostly equiped with hmgs and 3 with 57 mms. There is no realistic way to get to the back of the bunkers and my infantry is green or conscript 6 men motorized squads. In the arty department we have 20 rounds of 188 mms and some 25 pounder VT and ordinary. 3 spotters dead before firing a round. Airplanes shot down or scared off... Any tips?

-Edit-

I forgot: I am running out of time. This must be done in less than 30 turns...

Is there a way to take out bunkers frontally? They are concrete, cover about 500-1000 meters of open ground in hull down positions are alternating pak loaded and hmg loaded, are in hull down and multiple layers. I have managed to knock out most of the unprotected guns among them. At my diposal I have 3 sextons, one 95 mm churchill, 2 6 pounders, 3 priests, some 25 pounders and.. a lot of armoured cars mostly equiped with hmgs and 3 with 57 mms. There is no realistic way to get to the back of the bunkers and my infantry is green or conscript 6 men motorized squads. In the arty department we have 20 rounds of 188 mms and some 25 pounder VT and ordinary. 3 spotters dead before firing a round. Airplanes shot down or scared off... Any tips?

-Edit-

I forgot: I am running out of time. This must be done in less than 30 turns...

Go for lucky firing slit penetrations. Concentrate your high ROF field guns on a single bunker a time, use smoke to blind the others if necessary.

Unless you already know, the easiest way to kill a concrete bunker in the current CM engine is firing plenty of shots, no matter what the caliber is. A 20mm flak will probably zero in and destroy a bunker with a slit penetration within a turn.

Go for lucky firing slit penetrations. Concentrate your high ROF field guns on a single bunker a time, use smoke to blind the others if necessary.

Unless you already know, the easiest way to kill a concrete bunker in the current CM engine is firing plenty of shots, no matter what the caliber is. A 20mm flak will probably zero in and destroy a bunker with a slit penetration within a turn.

Something from this lot* is bound to penetrate, its seems to me a case of reducing what's shooting back...hence the smoke

(was anything done in the 1.03 patch to fix the 20mm quickfiring effect?)

edit to add: In 1.03 - Pillbox firing slits are a little harder to hit.

* "3 sextons, one 95 mm churchill, 2 6 pounders, 3 priests, some 25 pounders and.. a lot of armoured cars mostly equiped with hmgs and 3 with 57 mms"

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Uh, Wicky... I don't think HE does any good unless it scores the firing slit penetration I mentioned.

Something from this lot* is bound to penetrate, its seems to me a case of reducing what's shooting back...hence the smoke

(was anything done in the 1.03 patch to fix the 20mm quickfiring effect?)

edit to add: In 1.03 - Pillbox firing slits are a little harder to hit.

* "3 sextons, one 95 mm churchill, 2 6 pounders, 3 priests, some 25 pounders and.. a lot of armoured cars mostly equiped with hmgs and 3 with 57 mms"

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Uh, Wicky... I don't think HE does any good unless it scores the firing slit penetration I mentioned.

I've made some tests and come to the conclusion that the slow firing guns are useless. The hope is the 57 mm stuff. Now I also ran a test with one bunker vs 4 57 mm guns. The guns lost. Rememver that the bunkers are hull down so hit % is down to about 25% first shot. I have uesing keyholed positions this far to no use. The guns die and I cant go head to head with a bunker with tanks.

I've made some tests and come to the conclusion that the slow firing guns are useless. The hope is the 57 mm stuff. Now I also ran a test with one bunker vs 4 57 mm guns. The guns lost. Rememver that the bunkers are hull down so hit % is down to about 25% first shot. I have uesing keyholed positions this far to no use. The guns die and I cant go head to head with a bunker with tanks.

How widely dispersed were the guns?

Churchill is a pretty tough cookie head on

Originally posted by Europa:

How widely dispersed were the guns?

Churchill is a pretty tough cookie head on

Originally posted by Europa:

I tried one. Died first shot. Might have been a bit short ranged though. A few hundred meters or so. Like 300 I think. The defense is a line with pak bunkers and hmg bunkers in hull down along a railroad bank 5 meters high. Inbetween the bunkers he had aa guns. I have taken them out. I have also eliminated one hmg bunker. its the ones with the paks that are hard. tried to keyhole one hmg 2 turns bak but he got me. I don't belive in smoke on this one. The bunkers are to many. Damn...

I tried one. Died first shot. Might have been a bit short ranged though. A few hundred meters or so. Like 300 I think. The defense is a line with pak bunkers and hmg bunkers in hull down along a railroad bank 5 meters high. Inbetween the bunkers he had aa guns. I have taken them out. I have also eliminated one hmg bunker. its the ones with the paks that are hard. tried to keyhole one hmg 2 turns bak but he got me. I don't belive in smoke on this one. The bunkers are to many. Damn...