Winning in Demo Scenario

The other thing to understand is that the US 75mms outrange the Germans. The Germans want to close. They will get full penetrations if they are close enough. Also, if you get closer in one area you will get flanks shots either from that area or from the old one back on the ridge (where you should shoot and scoot, only when you have a good target). Nothing the Americans have can take a flank shot.

Yep, I'm trying the wadi and trying to get flank shots, but I"m still not having much luck. I guess I have to be closer. The Shermans can definitely take the frontal shots from the 50mm pea shooters!

Jason, if you're talking about the very first ridge, I don't think you can penetrate even the sides from that range.

Right now I'm hoping to close under a smoke screen. We'll see if I can get close enough before the smoke goes away.

Any other ideas?

Jet

On the left hand side, between the wadi and the edge of the map was the best approach in my experience. Send some infantry and a couple of tanks up the wadi to provide a target and scout. Then on the left move your afv's to just below the brow of the hill at the start.

Then on the next turn give them fast moves over the hill, if you go at ground level you can see there is a ridge in front of where the lee's or grants are. from there split your force and move around the ridge and you will get flank shots are the lees/grants. once you have eliminated the forces on that side you can just sit back and let the shermans come to you. Hopefully giving some flank shots to the tanks in the wadi.

Ohh, and watch out for rocky terain, if you hit it as you go over the hill you will lose a lot of tanks. When CMMODS come back up download the hi res rocky mod.

Cheers

Will

After having lurked for about a week now, this is my first post on the forum, so please bear with me.

I'm new to CMAK, too. After having read nothing but rave reviews in the magazines and on the net, I downloaded the demo and quite liked the game concept of We-Go. Then I found the full set of all 3 CM releases (BO, BB and AK, all in german versions) originally wrapped in the bargain bin at a book shop and could not resist. They sold it as "CM Anthology" by the way and it cost Swiss Francs 28 which would be like $23 about, so way cheaper than what Battlefront is selling them directly!?!? OK, no printed manuals but .PDF's only, but anyway... seemed like a can't lose deal to me.

Now I'm still trying to win the Frühlingswind scenario as the German side. I find the above notes quite helpful and I guess eventually I will be able to win it. However, I definitely wish there was a gridded terrain so one can see the undulations more clearly and also where the rocky terrains are that slow down the armor. I understand that whenever CMMODS comes back online, there are various such terrains available.

I have one question to the more experienced players here: Would you rate the Frühlingswind scen as rather easy (for the Axis side) to win? Of normal difficulty? Hard?? Just to give me an idea of where I'd be standing once I master this one...

There is a Tutorial which I have not yet looked at. Is there any other fairly easy scen you could recommend me to play in CMAK (or CMBB) in order to learn the basics/mechanics (playing only against the AI for now).

Thanks a lot!

People will howl with derision at the mere thought of me answering a question directed at experienced players but I'll do so anyway. smile.gif

Yes Fruhlings wind is a toughie even for the more experienced player. There won't be too many of them who won it first go. Once you 'figure it out' the level starts becoming fairly easy, winning at 200% force bonus for the Allies. You'll find the other demo scenario, Line of Defense, much easier, either as attacker or defender. I recommend it over the tutorial as a learning tool as you'll have almost every type of unit and terrain represented in it. It's a blast to play to boot.

Enjoy!

Glad to hear it's a "toughie". I get good shots in on the Shermans and Lee's, but EVERYTHING richochets! Arg! My 12 year old is beating me right now! Oh the shame! :(

Seems you have to get within 200 meters or so AND have a side shot to knock them out.

The smoke screen is helping me get close, but I'm not convinced that I'll be able to kill them before they kill me once I get close!

Right now I have 3 Pz III's in front of the 2 story building behind the ridge, barely peeking out from behind just so I can see him in the Orchard and another three coming down the wadi on the German's right behind a smoke screen. Most of his tanks are on my left, but he's starting to move them now. I left 2 tanks there to hopefully get flank shots while they're moving. They now have to pop back up from behind the ridge. Hopefully it's not too far for the pea shooters (50mm) to get penetration!

Jet