SOTW: Mishmish... Spoiler Alert

Shep

Please headline.

Now this looks interesting. A dogfight... Dust... nerf tanks at 50 paces...

Post your tactical musings here (good luck), and when you're done, your AARs.

PBEM and Hotseat AARs especially encouraged and welcomed.

Also welcome are postings of original accounts of the battle - either quotes or bibliographical sources.

[ December 31, 2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Shep ]

Apparently he's going to cover games starting with consonents before he gets to the vowels ;) .

What I like about this scenario is it's an unusual map for the game (not the usual two forces with intervening hill), allowing the player to rush between discrete sub-battles. There aren't many 'forested' desert scenarios on the disk :D .

A big surprise is just how much fun it is playing with those Italian tankettes armed with those 20mm anti-tank guns! Zooming around the board like sportscars.

I played this one as the Italians vs. the AI. The Brit AI did not put put much of a fight, I'm afraid. I won 82-18, losing a handful of vehicles, including the Flamethrower tank. He did get off a single burst before buying it, though.

The Brits tried moving their tanks down the ravine from the central town, and also toward the Fascist statue. The statue was the only place significantly contested, and stayed in Brit hands until grenades from surrounding infantry took care of the A9 Cruiser parked there.

This would be a real circus vs. a human opponent.

Played this scenario Allies vs. AI. True, the map was daunting when I first saw it. All I knew was that I had armor coming at me from the west and infantry from the east. I decided to just try and hold the town and preserve my forces as much as possible.

I used the default deployment. I kept half my infantry embarked in trucks so that I could rush them to hotspots. Posted a few vehicles at the closest crossroads in an attempt to keep them open until all reinforcements were in.

This was fun to play, probably because I had very little idea of where to expect the enemy's attack. They hit me from three distinct approaches, plus a couple little skirmishes. Having played no early war scenarios up to this point, I had to adapt my AFV tactics as I played.

This is my favorite scenario so far in CMAK. I'm interested enough to do it again as the Axis. Won with a score of 94 to 6. Was disappointed to find that there was embarked Italian infantry that never made it to battle, cheapening my victory. Apparently the AI doesn't know how to handle them.

This scenario would be great against a human opponent

[ January 05, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Caffino ]

I played this one as the Italians vs. AI. I won easily again, most of my troops never even saw combat. I lost 3 vechiles (1 tank, 2 ACs) and only 15 men. The AI really spread it's forces thin and left much of them at the roads where they enter as reinforcements (I think?).

I started off with basically the default setup. I split the AC platoon into two and sent 2 cars north (I think?) and two east. The north cars took out 1 enemy AC, 3 trucks and some infantry and a carrier before one was abandoned and 1 paniced with a casualty. One tank mopped up the rest of the brits (1 more AC, 1 carrier and 2 trucks + infantry) after they arrived as reinforcements.

On the east side I lost 1 tank to the cruiser tank before nailing it. The flame tankette took out some trucks and ACs, gotta love that thing. Some AT-tankettes and the 75mm motorized gun nailed the rest of the enemy armour.

The enemy surendered on turn 22 with 2 IVBs and 1 AC left and few routed troops scattered around.