Wait or buy?

Hello

As mentioned in a previous thread I am currently completely CMless running OSX 10.4.5 and was wondering about the future of CM. I did I quick search on the forum and couldn't really find anything definate on when a Combat Mission that would run on my machine would be out. I'm aware that BF are fairly busy with their various games at the moment so I want a bit of advice really. Would you recommend I get a cheap Mac (sorry PC lovers have and always be a MacMan) and get the supposedly brilliant CMAK or hold on for a bit (or maybe a lot) longer for the whole new product? Was a very keen CMBO and BB player but was robbed of both when my computer bust and got a new one. :mad: :(

Thanks in advance for your comment

Do you want to play CM or not?

If you do you have to get equipment you can play it on, and if you don't then you don't - that's the end of the argument IMO!

hahaha

good point well made :D

I've not got loads of money so was looking into a G3 of some sort, what do you use, will this be sufficient do you think? Not a computer expert as I'm sure is obvious, was running BO/BB on a G3 PISMO powerbook and it worked ok

Locksley,

I have an 800 MHz 17" iMac with 512MB SDRAM and 80 GB HD. Runs great in OS X 10.4 Tiger (bought separately) and OS X 9.2 (for all the CM games). Ordered it from PowerMax (www.powermax.com) with 10.3 and 9.2 installed and paid about $40 extra for a full set of backup install and 9.2 software disks and the manual. U.S. $1016.00 out the door. Paid another $40 later for the extended warranty. Delivery was speedy, and the service has been great.

Seriously considered an 867 MHz dual OS Titanium PowerBook, but it was too rich for my blood, and

I didn't have the room for a tower and display or

a huge eMac. If you search the tech forum under my name for fall last year, you'll find a thread in which I asked for Mac options, some of which Wicky helpfully provided. Good luck getting CM capable again!

Regards,

John Kettler

I run all the CM games on either a Blue & White G3 350 mhz with (until last night, when I added more) 128 MB of SDRAM or a Clamshell iBook Special Edition 466 mhz with the same amount of RAM (I think). They both run and look fine.

Depending on your space and money available, I would recommend getting a desktop Mac rather than a laptop for playing the CMx1 games - the larger screen makes a big difference.

I'm in the same boat as you - but opposite. I have great fun playing CM on my old mac (system 8.5!) but can't touch any of BFC's upcoming products. So do I upgrade to a current mac, new intel chip mac, or PC? PC would pretty much guarantee that we'd be able to play everything -new CM products and old - but then we'd be stuck with a PC!

:confused: :(

MikeyD,

Hold on to your old Mac to play the CMx1 games and buy an Intel chip Mac for the new ones. The PowerPC Macs running OS X can't play the old games and are no longer state-of-the-art so they are not worth buying anymore (even though I bought one last year).

A PC won't be able to play your current CMx1 CDs (except CMBO) so you would have to buy new ones. Plus you'd be stuck with a PC.

The new Macs should be able to play new CM products, although you might have to wait a little while longer for them.

The fly in the ointment is whether the other upcoming non-CM products Drop Team and Grognards wind up being mac compatible (Grognards looks sooooo cool), and if so which version of mac won't play 'em. As it is T72 and Strategic Command are out of my reach, being PC only. Which is for the best, I guess. There's not enough hours in my day to play ALL the games!

MickeyD

You're right, it would be a lot simpler to buy a PC but man, a PC :eek: !! Can't really afford to get a good Mac that would run CM and don't have the space for an iMac/eMac. Looks like its going to have to be a good old blue and white or bit better G3 maybe early G4 tower they're not too expensive. Really can't wait for the next CM and miss the old. . .

Good decision, I would not buy any machine for the new games until the games are out and you can find out for sure what it will take to run them nicely.

The exist. games at this point can run on systems that are a few years old, anyone should be able to get a out dated system for cheap and play them to their hearts content.