CMx2 and Squad Formations.

tar

With the 1:1 representation, I wonder if there will be any control for influencing the general formation to be used by the troops in a squad?

Certainly to a large extent one would want to have the details of the location of individual soliders handled by the TacAI (or some similar automatic method). For example, to conform to nearby walls, fences or buildings. But the general sort of formation should be something that is under player control.

When advancing, it should make a difference if one want to do it say in a line versus a column formation. It would be nice if there were differences between a tactical column, such as one might use on a wooded trail: Point man, gap, rest of squad versus a road march column.

I would expect that there should perhaps be some other sorts of formation choices, and some control over the compactness or dispersion of the formation. A spread-out formation can be useful for covering a lot of ground as well as to reduce vulnerability to artillery fire and the deadly cannister fire.

I note that the Baldur's Gate games have general and flexible formation controls, although since it is a single party controlled by the player, probably with a bit too much detailed control. But something along those lines would be nice to have.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Arrowhead, inverted arrowhead, ack-ack, line - all good ones. The ability to place the squad LMG anywhere in the formation would be good too, but do we really want to micromanage that far down?

If I'm running a company or battalion then definitely not. I do also play smaller games, or pieces of smaller games, however, where I might need that level of control.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Arrowhead, inverted arrowhead, ack-ack, line - all good ones. The ability to place the squad LMG anywhere in the formation would be good too, but do we really want to micromanage that far down?

If I'm running a company or battalion then definitely not. I do also play smaller games, or pieces of smaller games, however, where I might need that level of control.

-dale </font>

In reality, a careful advance appears to involve very thinly spread-out squads. I am curious how this will affect the quality of LOS determination and how issues like overlapping squads (and the resulting confusion) will be dealt with!

Best regards,

Thomm

depends on the point man. If it was someone whom the squad wanted to waste, then sure. Death Verdict.

But there were some point men I'm sure, whom the squad LOVED to have on point (and would never want to see perish).

When I was in basic, my friend Rodnney was a natural. He was like the nose of a dog. He just seemed to be able to find where to go, and where NOT to go. He foiled an ambush on our squad. we ended up ambushing the ambushers. smile.gif

That kind of point man is priceless. I wonder if CMx2 will model . . .. nyuk nyuk :D

Gpig

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

By the way: was being appointed the position of point man a death verdict in war?

Someone had to do it; often you volunteered, knowing it was "your turn."

BATTLE DIARY by CCM Martin, DCM is a good book by a Canadian company sergeant major. In Holland, all they could do was advance along the top of the dykes, one field at a time. When the lead man got shot at, then you knew where the enemy was. You hunkered down behind the dike, usually up to your waist or armpits in water, and tried to return fire, call for mortars, artillery, or if you were really lucky and the ground wasn't too mucky, a tank or WASP.

I suspect in situations like that, you generally decided on a "fair" way to do things among yourselves. Some platoon and section leaders would have felt honour bound to take the job on themselves, at least once in awhile. Some of them, perhaps most of them, had a different perspective on personal honour and reposnibility than some people do today.

Dammit, le dale if I find out you have cultivated a true blue Mortal Enemy before I have, I don't know whether to cry, pout, sulk, hold my breath, or explode. :mad:

It wasn't enough for him to beat the stuffing out of me in one of my first AK games.

He took my sig, my beautiful 256+ character sig!

He then slapped me so hard with a right wing propaganda slogan it left a mark for a month.

Forgiveness?

No, not in this lifetime.

:mad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 86smopuim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rollstoy:

By the way: was being appointed the position of point man a death verdict in war?

if the pointman's first name is dale it is

:mad: </font>

Originally posted by 86smopuim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

That depends what the smallest unit element is. For the Finnish army the smallest basic unit element was historically a two man team. Then came the half squad, the squad, platoon and so forth.

And that applies only to the infantry. The elements would be different for HMG coy's, engineers etc.

Historically the Finnish system would also overrule unit coherence for the sake of the mission at hand if the situation called for it as a rule rather than as the exception.

That means that if in the heat of the battle the units would get separated from their own HQ units they would be assigned to any nearest HQ unit on the spot rather than wasting time regrouping the force. These ad-hoc units commanded by any platoon HQ level command unit (even arty FO's at times !) could be comprised of HMG teams, engineer teams, squads from who knows how many different platoons from who knows how many companies from as many regiments operating in the area.

Dammit, le dale if I find out you have cultivated a true blue Mortal Enemy before I have, I don't know whether to cry, pout, sulk, hold my breath, or explode. :mad:

I think holding your breath and exploding would be the way for you to go.

HTH HAND

smile.gif

Michael

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem: