Vehicle list again... is "she" in?

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Ugly brute. What's all that stuff on the roof? Looks like a cargo pallet.

Michael

An antenna? A totally wild guess of the vehicle: the gun is a fake, and it's just a command vehicle disguised as a SP gun. Or then not:

"Shown here is the suggested composition of the independent 605. Panzerjager-Abteilung at the outset of Rommel's attack on the Gazala Line in late May. Its anti-tank capability has been strengthened by the arrival of the 7.62cm FK® auf gp. Selbstfahrlafette (Sd Kfz 6/3). Fitted with captured Russian guns, six of these vehicles arrived in late January 1942, and three more in February. All nine were assigned to 90th Light Division on March 8, 1942. Their German crews nick-named these self-propelled guns "Diana". They managed to make themselves felt during the heavy fighting against the new British Grants, and at the assault on Bir Hacheim. By June 22, 1942 when Panzerarmee Afrika captured Tobruk, only two were listed as still operational. However, about five were kept running until the second Alamein battles, and two were captured and put on display by the British."

[ November 03, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

I found the exact same photo, along with another one of the same type vehicle in the WW2 Fact Files Self-Propelled Anti-Tank and Anti-Aircraft Guns. In this source it is also called "Diana", but the specs given are different. Here they claim that the gun is the 7.62cm anti-tank gun Model 1936. But it also gives the gun's elevation as +45°, which is suspiciously high for an AT gun but about right for a field piece. Compare this to the Marder III which definitely uses the AT gun and has an elevation of only 18°.

Michael

[ November 03, 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by HeinzBaby:

ROFLMAO Seanachai..

as much as I like these 'exotic's',

I'd prefer to see correctly modeled soft skined Brit-Gerry-Italian transport and not the 'generic' duce and a half as we have in BO smile.gif

I would not worry about that, since you already have more country-specific trucks in CMBB.

Happened to be reading 'German Fighting Vehicles 1939-1945 (published 1975)and came across the following reference to the 'Diana':

"As the war situation deteriorated, all sorts of vehicles not intended for offensive use were given armoured bodywork and pressed into service with first line units. An early example was the experimental fitting of a captured Russian 76.2mm anti-tank gun to an SdKfz 6 5-ton half-track tractor. Only nine such vehicles (popularly known as Diana) were converted and some were sent to Libya in 1942. This opened up the idea of further conversion and many unarmoured half-tracks were given armoured cabs and superstructures."

So it seems the Diana had a seminal influence...

Originally posted by Sergei:

Apparently there were two versions - 76.2mm FK 296® (early)

76.2mm Pak 36® L/51 (late)

by George Parada

Kamerad Pickyhaube would like to strike again, and point out that if you (or indeed George P.) want to use the German denomination, you should do it correctly. The Germans had no truck with girly measurements like 'mm', only steel-chinned, manly 'cm' would do.

7,62 cm FK 296® (early)

7,62 cm Pak 36® L/51

My guess is, apart from that, that the distinction 'early' is not correct. I am quite sure that the FK 296® is the original gun with no modifications, used as captured, while the Pak 36® L/51 is the rechambered version. Both versions were in service with the Wehrmacht at the same time, one as a replacement divisional gun, the other as ATG.

Hi again!

I'm quite happy and surprised that so many people found this topic worth answering. I'm sorry about that broken link... I tried to repair it, but it just won't work. Maybe it's because of this crapy public PC in my university.

Portees seem to be invaluable to the British and commonwealth troops in the desert. The deadly diana is much closer to a portee than anything near a tank.

As American tank hunters are in the game and Italian AA trucks to... I hope for the 2- and 6-pounder portees and - maybe for some rare German stuff. We'll see, pre-ordering is about to beginn by the end of November... I hope.

While on the subject of interesting vehicles, last night I came across a photo of a very cute Italian job called the Camionetta SPA, 43 'Sahariana'. It comes armed with either the Breda 20mm AA, the 20mm Solothurn AT, or the 47mm AT. You can see it here. The Italian tanks may have sucked, but they made great recce vehicles.

Michael

[ November 05, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Hej, Michael - it's a very nice vehicle!

Found another page featuring it...

Sahariana - "The Desert Jeep"

As discussed in another forum the CMAK CD will be really full, so we cannot hope to much, that many of these softskinned cars, jeeps and lorries will be included. Anyone, I will love to see at least some - and Italian AA trucks are promised...

:D