CMX2 Compared To Wartime Command

war2004

If it is ever released I'll buy it anyway.It looks and sound like it should be a good game.

And graphics dont have to be cutting edge to have a good game.Just look at the Combat Mission Series.The graphics are way outdated compared to what is out there now but it is still one of the best wargames made.

BTW, the water as shown in the second screenshot is not really WC's "work". It is what the hardware of newer graphcs cards has built in and you get for free if you are willing to draw the textures on the river floor and have the card draw a lot of texture passes.

To the best of my memory, WC was a games entirely designed about level of detail, that means that the foreground, the thing you currently concentrate on, is draw in the very fine detail, and the rest is not. CM does do that, if the Panther has 25 textures when you stand next to it, it also has 25 textures when you are so far away that you only fill 10 screen pixels with it.

While that sounds like an obvious idea, it is very hard to build a level of detail mechanism that still looks good when you move around the map and zoom in. My memory of WC command is that it doesn't allow you to freely roam around the map like CM does.

war2004, it's difficult to compare CMX2 with WC because none of the games is out yet, and there are no screenshots of CMX2 to compare. So I'm locking this. Feel free to open another thread with the same name in, say, 12 months smile.gif

Martin