Hard to tell whos shooting?

Having not played CM:BB or CM:BO for well over a year (and no longer have the demos on my computer) im not sure if im imagining things or not.

Having recently played the demo of CMAK , it seems that i have to spend a lot more time replaying the senarios and clicking on my units to actually figure out whos shoot what. It seemed like the "shooting graphics" in the previous games were a bit more star-wars like, which helped you see what was going on. Is that the case or am i just having a case of selective memory?

Also it seemed that you could very obviously hear a "CLAAAAANG!!" when a vehicle got knocked out, and now its very much toned down to the point were i often cannot audibly tell that a vehicle has been KOed.

Selective memory on my part again?

You can download a high visibility tracer mod that gives the option of allowing you to pick different bright coloured tracers for allies and axis. It's a CMBB mod but works in CMAK too.

It looks a little Star Wars but after hearing an old Commando talking about his experiences in WW2 on telly last week it might not be all that unrealistic, and it definitely improves SA a lot.

It has been towned down, you cannot see the yellow line from the enemy unit nearly as often enough as you used to.

I believe this might have been done at partly to do something about the borg spotting problem. One of the biggest problem with borg spotting is that the moment you open fire on one unit in a a group in LOS everyone and their dog in that group opens return fire very quickly. In CMAK this problem seems to have been lessened.

Apparently the yellow line mechanism was only used to trigger spotting for the TacAI. Later yellow line ==> later return fire from other units.

Originally posted by redwolf:

It has been towned down, you cannot see the yellow line from the enemy unit nearly as often enough as you used to.

What's odd is that my (friendly) units don't always seem to generate a red firing line when they shoot. I think it was always the case that hull MGs on tanks did not generate firing lines, at least that's how I remember it. But now I am seeing infantry and other units occasionally taking potshots without generating red lines in the process.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

What's odd is that my (friendly) units don't always seem to generate a red firing line when they shoot. I think it was always the case that hull MGs on tanks did not generate firing lines, at least that's how I remember it. But now I am seeing infantry and other units occasionally taking potshots without generating red lines in the process.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:What's odd is that my (friendly) units don't always seem to generate a red firing line when they shoot. I think it was always the case that hull MGs on tanks did not generate firing lines, at least that's how I remember it. But now I am seeing infantry and other units occasionally taking potshots without generating red lines in the process.

Could that be cases where a weapons team uses its smallarms, e.g. flamethrower or bazooka shooting a rifle? </font>

Also it would be nice if the targeting lines actually -stayed ON- the only time you see them , even with "all paths & target lines turned on" is if you actually have the unit slected (durring playback) or when the play has stopped totally.

Seems strange that they wouldnt let you see the lines all the time. Would save a lot of having to run the playback and staring at each platoon to figure out what they did that turn.

What's that great line from SPR...."Who's doing the shooting, who's doing the shooting." I like the way FOW is enhanced by this lack of info. It better defines the chaos of the WW2 battlefield. I will, however, dl the tracer fire BMP. My understanding of tracer fire in WW2 was that the axis and allies used different colors. Guess I saw the same show on the History channel.

While it might be nice for those players who want it, it should for sure be toggleable. Otherwise, aside from possibly giving away too much to players who want to retain maximum FOW, it also would clutter up the screen making it harder to read and just downright ugly.

I always play with "show all paths" turned on. In my current game though I've toyed with the idea of turning it off because for several turns I had so many paths criss-crossing all over the map that it was hard to tell who was coming and who was going and who was attached to which path. I think the same thing would tend to happen if all trajectories were being shown when the shooting gets hot and heavy.

Michael

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

What's that great line from SPR...."Who's doing the shooting, who's doing the shooting." I like the way FOW is enhanced by this lack of info. It better defines the chaos of the WW2 battlefield.

The chaos of all battlefields I should think. The best thing about CMBB/CMAK is trying to work out what the heck is happening: I know it's going wrong - I just don't know why.

There's that telling quote from the first world war looking back to the 2nd Boer War and the difficulties of spotting the enemy on the modern battlefield. It goes something along the lines of: Many of the men there that day never idenitified the Boer firing positions. Indeed many of them still do not know where the Boers were even now eighteen years after the battle.

Some things never change.