Ammo usage in Patch 1.03

I presume that my ammo count is still going to go down quicker than a parched lady of the night?

A more than annoying event especially as the first rounds don’t count for jack.

Whilst this is the best war game, this ammo count issue and the way that the first shots don’t get a result is well, ridiculous.

It makes it so that as the Germans I never attempt to close on the enemy.

Then there is the added ‘bonus’ of ALL your units firing upon a tank crew, wasting ammo and ignoring legit targets.

Signing off,

Teddy Bär

A very frustrated player.

I presume that my ammo count is still going to go down quicker than a parched lady of the night?

Whilst this is the best war game, this ammo count issue and the way that the first shots don’t get a result is well, ridiculous.

It makes it so that as the Germans I never attempt to close on the enemy.

Then there is the added ‘bonus’ of ALL your units firing upon a tank crew, wasting ammo and ignoring legit targets.

Signing off,

Teddy Bär

A very frustrated player.

Are you relying too heavily on SMG-heavy units? German Pioneers pack rifles and have stacks of ammo, and can keep firing at long range for long periods of time. Compare that to SS PanzerGrenadiere in late 1944 with 35 ammo and 2xMP44, 2xMG42, 2xSMG, 4xRifle who empty their magazines in 2 turns flat.

I think you should try an approach I have recently been using - for every infantry platoon you buy in a QB, buy a Bren, BAR or LMG42 (dependent on nation). They offer a healthy amount of covering fire, independent of the squads' LMGs, and enough ammo to fire for several turns.

Have you also tried splitting your squads and using different-ranged covered arcs for the SMG-heavy and rifle-heavy sections?

Are you relying too heavily on SMG-heavy units? German Pioneers pack rifles and have stacks of ammo, and can keep firing at long range for long periods of time. Compare that to SS PanzerGrenadiere in late 1944 with 35 ammo and 2xMP44, 2xMG42, 2xSMG, 4xRifle who empty their magazines in 2 turns flat.

I think you should try an approach I have recently been using - for every infantry platoon you buy in a QB, buy a Bren, BAR or LMG42 (dependent on nation). They offer a healthy amount of covering fire, independent of the squads' LMGs, and enough ammo to fire for several turns.

Have you also tried splitting your squads and using different-ranged covered arcs for the SMG-heavy and rifle-heavy sections?

@ Soddball, the game I am playing by PBEM already had the units, I had not choice. The infantry have 25 ammo. However, th issue is that the ammo rate at close range is both unrealistic and rediculous.

@ Andrew Hedges, the main issue I with the ammo count is the expenditure at close range. I have no long range issues as I already do as you say, let the HMG and half tracks do the long range stuff. The issue is soldiers wasting ammo on tank crews. I had 3 units, yes 3, attack a tank crew. Why should I have to cover arc against that.

Cheers

@ Soddball, the game I am playing by PBEM already had the units, I had not choice. The infantry have 25 ammo. However, th issue is that the ammo rate at close range is both unrealistic and rediculous.

@ Andrew Hedges, the main issue I with the ammo count is the expenditure at close range. I have no long range issues as I already do as you say, let the HMG and half tracks do the long range stuff. The issue is soldiers wasting ammo on tank crews. I had 3 units, yes 3, attack a tank crew. Why should I have to cover arc against that.

Cheers

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

Cheers

Is it a scenario or a QB? Do the infantry have 'full' ammo? I assume the infantry are some sort of SMG-based ones, where you sacrifice long-term fire for short-term attack potential.

It may be that you chose to attack incorrectly with the forces allocated to you, in which case blaming the game is unfair.

Cheers

Is it a scenario or a QB? Do the infantry have 'full' ammo? I assume the infantry are some sort of SMG-based ones, where you sacrifice long-term fire for short-term attack potential.

It may be that you chose to attack incorrectly with the forces allocated to you, in which case blaming the game is unfair.

Cheers

You are forgetting that those 25 ammo points give extreme firepower. SMG squads can mow down other infantry squads in a matter of seconds.

Can you tell me where you got this? In my experience the first burst do quite a lot of damage.

Cheers

You are forgetting that those 25 ammo points give extreme firepower. SMG squads can mow down other infantry squads in a matter of seconds.

Can you tell me where you got this? In my experience the first burst do quite a lot of damage.

Save your breath (fingers?).

I, and others, have already posted ad nauseam on this subject. While I think quite a few other forum members agree that the low ammo point count + high ROF at close ranges for SMGs and other automatic weapons creates some highly improbable ammo usage rates in CMBB & CMAK, Charles did respond to the original post on the CMBB forum where I brought this issue up for the first time. Based on his comments, BFC is clearly not interested in revisiting this issue, at least for this engine.

As a consolation, at least we know that they have noted the problem, and I'm hopeful they will keep it in mind as they develop the small arms model for the CMX2 engine.

To me, actual engine refinements such as this are far more important than any eye candy like having a moving sun and correct phase of the moon (though those things would be nice too, especially if they're tied into some kind of differential & variable lighting/LOS modeling. . .)

Cheers,

YD

Save your breath (fingers?).

I, and others, have already posted ad nauseam on this subject. While I think quite a few other forum members agree that the low ammo point count + high ROF at close ranges for SMGs and other automatic weapons creates some highly improbable ammo usage rates in CMBB & CMAK, Charles did respond to the original post on the CMBB forum where I brought this issue up for the first time. Based on his comments, BFC is clearly not interested in revisiting this issue, at least for this engine.

As a consolation, at least we know that they have noted the problem, and I'm hopeful they will keep it in mind as they develop the small arms model for the CMX2 engine.

To me, actual engine refinements such as this are far more important than any eye candy like having a moving sun and correct phase of the moon (though those things would be nice too, especially if they're tied into some kind of differential & variable lighting/LOS modeling. . .)

Cheers,

YD