Mod Manager: McMMM 2.4 Released

Happy New Year to all!

McMMM 2.4 has been released.

It is available at the Premier CM Mod Site .

It is in the CMBB section: best way is to go to the CMBB section then search for McMMM.

Version 2.4 is the _same_ as 2.30 beta: if you have 2.30 beta, you don't need to download 2.4 (unless you'd like the version number at the bottom of the screen to say 2.4!)

Something like 60 people have downloaded the beta, no complaints so far, so I think its in reasonable shape.

GaJ.

- - -

McMMM is a tool that makes it easy to work with Combat Mission Mods. Any Mods, any version of Combat Mission.

This is what McMMM lets you do:

</font>

• You download a Mod from anywhere and put it in a "Mods" directory... with a couple of clicks McMMM installs it into your Combat Mission installation, and backs up the original BMPs (or WAVs).</font>
  • McMMM keeps track of what Mods are installed at any given time.</font>
  • If you don't like a Mod, at any time, McMMM can uninstall it again (restoring the original BMP/WAVs in the process), with only a click or two.</font>

That's it.

Oh, it also lets you look at the BMPs in the Mod, compare them to the installed ones, and also look at the instructions and pretty JPEGs in the Mod, without messing around with Zip programs, but that's just an added extra.

They are completely different.

CMMOS is a "luxury car" of Mod Managers.

CMMOS can only handle "CMMOS Compliant" mods, but with those it can do whatever advanced things the mod maker had in mind, once you have the rulesets installed etc (and if the mod maker actually did advanced things in that mod).

McMMM is a more basic tool.

McMMM can handle any mods. It doesn't enable the advanced features of some CMMOS mods, it is just your basic, simple "install this mod for me please, wait no, go back I don't want it any more, wait yes, afterall I will install that" tool.

McMMM handles all the CM variants, and all the Mods you can get from the main CM Mod site (as far as I am aware).

GaJ.

Preview:

McMMM.jpg

[ December 31, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

GaJ, I'm using 2.30 beta, what new changes are in 2.4? I'm very satisfied with the way this program works, so very simple to quickly click and add mods. Simply love it.

Had another question for you though, just out of curiosity really. What do you suppose would happen if I installed a mod where part of it modified a set of bmps and then installed another mod where *some* of those bmps were again changed. If I then uninstalled out of order, does McMMM (Mc Yummmmm) know that some of those bmp's should not be removed because they now come from the 2nd mod that was installed? Hope I'm making sense with this, just woke up with only a few hours sleep... :D

Great job with the program, thanks for making it!

Originally posted by GJK:

GaJ, I'm using 2.30 beta, what new changes are in 2.4? I'm very satisfied with the way this program works, so very simple to quickly click and add mods. Simply love it.

Glad it works for you!

Had another question for you though, just out of curiosity really. What do you suppose would happen if I installed a mod where part of it modified a set of bmps and then installed another mod where *some* of those bmps were again changed. If I then uninstalled out of order, does McMMM (Mc Yummmmm) know that some of those bmp's should not be removed because they now come from the 2nd mod that was installed?
Yes, it knows.

McMMM knows what mod each installed BMP came from, and only uninstalls a BMP if it came from the Mod being uninstalled.

It's interesting that for the whole time McMMM has been out there, this is the first time this question has come up. I spent a lot of time thinking about it while I was writing McMMM! I think my conclusion was true: overlapping mods is not a bigtime occurence.

Since you've mentioned it, you should know that when McMMM does uninstall a BMP, it replaces it with the your original BMP.

The implications of this are left as an excercise for the reader ;) (and they are discussed briefly in the McMMM help file).

Cheers,

GaJ.

Hi,

Regarding this new revision and the ability to put mods in any directory, see below.

I take it you can still only specify one directory in any place for all the mods for each game. The game documentation (revision 2.3) still just lists ...\Program Files\CMxx\Mods.

V2.4

- 'Official' release

V2.30 beta

- Enabled user to place Mods anywhere they like

(IE store them in any folder, not just Mod Dir).

In a future release could it be possible to have the installed mods hidden when installing new mods to avoid the scrolling accross to find the new mods to install. If a lot of mods have been installed, when you click on "new mod" it would be nice if previously installed mods were not shown or could be toggled off / on.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by highlife:

Quick question, can I just overwrite a previous version or do I need to uninstall any mods and re-install them with the newer version?

Thanks

You probably figured out already, you can just overwrite (sorry for the slow response, I've been away).

(BUT you must have a 2.x version already. Hopefully if you've been keeping up to date, then you have).

GaJ.

Originally posted by markl:

Hi,

Regarding this new revision and the ability to put mods in any directory, see below.

I take it you can still only specify one directory in any place for all the mods for each game.

No, actually.

On a mod-by-mod basis, you can have each mod where you like.

I will try to make the doco more clear.

Originally posted by markl:

In a future release could it be possible to have the installed mods hidden when installing new mods to avoid the scrolling accross to find the new mods to install. If a lot of mods have been installed, when you click on "new mod" it would be nice if previously installed mods were not shown or could be toggled off / on.

Excellent idea. Definitely at the top of my list for next release.

GaJ.