best WWII museum

Having grown up in Ottawa, I'd rank it above Calgary's Museum of the Regiments (which is still a damned fine visit) mainly because of the variety - love that ME163, and the D-Day diorama's a keeper.

As to Naval warfare museums - Calgary (yes, prairie-bound Calgary) has the largest one in Canada and it's a gem, housing a wide array of gear and vet knowledge as well as three aircraft...my volunteer watchkeeper shift is the morning of the 22nd, if anyone feels like dropping in.

Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

The new Canadian War Museum looks like it's going to be impressive (but it's not opening until Spring 2005).

And if we're getting into specific vs general, I'd have to recommend the RCR Regimental Museum in London, ON...it is very good (but as mentioned, only deals with the one regiment).

Which one?

I understand the Naval Museum will be moving to the Museum of the Regiments so that all facilities will be under one roof - is that just a rumour?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

And if we're getting into specific vs general, I'd have to recommend the RCR Regimental Museum in London, ON...it is very good (but as mentioned, only deals with the one regiment).

Which one?

I understand the Naval Museum will be moving to the Museum of the Regiments so that all facilities will be under one roof - is that just a rumour? </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

IWM Landwarfare Hall at Duxford is nice. Go on a sunny bankholiday weekend, and all the veteran planes will be out to fly.

I went a week ago, got lucky and there was both a Spitfire and Hurricane in the air. The LWH is pretty good, especially for guns. The downside is not much in the way of panzers.

Martin

Hit the money wall when both the Feds pulled their matching funding "promise". Struggling at the moment.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Which one?

I understand the Naval Museum will be moving to the Museum of the Regiments so that all facilities will be under one roof - is that just a rumour? </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Which one?