so.... when are we going to be seeing these mods then?

I was wondering if anyone will mod the US paratrooper uni's and add in an 82AA sleeve patch. Then go to town with the regular US uni's and add either a Red 1 patch (1st US infantry) or a Red Bull (36th Infantry).

Why do the Brits have a shoulder patch but not the US. Wah wah wah! :D

I was wondering if anyone will mod the US paratrooper uni's and add in an 82AA sleeve patch. Then go to town with the regular US uni's and add either a Red 1 patch (1st US infantry) or a Red Bull (36th Infantry).

Why do the Brits have a shoulder patch but not the US. Wah wah wah! :D

What's really surprising is that when I clicked on "post reply" I got an error message in Chinese from my Chinese ISP, then I see this double post!!! :rolleyes:

Speaking about Shermans, I think I'm gonna get real tired REAL quick with battles with Shermans...Operations with Shermans...Byte Battles with Shermans...PBEM with Shermans...

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE SCENARIOS WITH CHURCHILLS? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Of course BFC COULD HAVE tossed in some non-Italian theater Cromwell's but nooooooooooo!

Anyway, since I'm goona hog this post, let me do it right! :D Anyone else besides me noticing the Wehrmact Insignia on the FJ helmets? Or did my mod go haywire?

Helmet covers, how about helmet covers? In CMBB there is one great mod from Andrew TF (yep, the KING of uniform mods!) which had netting for the SS helmets. Any chance of getting a web netting cover for both the US and Brit/Commonwealth helmets?

Am I a helmet head. (notice the period and not a question mark at the end of the sentence denoting a rhetorical question.) tongue.gif

"Assault on Longstop" is a Churchill scenario :D .

I think CMAK mods have been slow coming because the 'return on investment' isn't as great. In other words, CMAK is already too pretty! But I for one do mods because doing mods is fun and I'm not going to let a little thing like perfectly acceptable default art stop me from having fun. I've got a couple mods posted already, a couple more mods in the works, and a couple eventual mods in mind (including early Brit camou Sherman if nobody beats me to it). I'd bet there are others out there thinking the same thing.

Hey, if you (and you know who you are) have a decent paint program like Photoshop sitting on your pc why not give modding a try! "virtual modeling" is certainly cheaper than attempting your first resin kit. ;)

I'm currently working on a US airborne uniform mod, among other things, so I'll make sure to add an 82d patch to the sleeve.

The helmets tend to be difficult to work with due to funky distortion issues. The wire helmet mod for CMBB looked ok, but I also have a German helmet with netting that I never released because it looked really strange. I'll post updates if I stumble across a technique to make things like these work.

well ive already taken a stab at that there phtoto-shoppe? thingy you described, but i dont paint so good :D (check out my french tank mod for CMBB).

besides... i noticed that whilst making the mod yourself is a pain in the a** and takes a long time, asking someone else to do it is not nearly as painful and actually takes a LOT shorter time... tongue.gif

MS Paint is ok for doing some minor adjustments to an existing mod, but to use it for a total rework would be like trying to build a house with a screwdriver and a holepunch. I highly recommend Paintshop Pro if you want to get into modding. It can be had for far less $$$ than a copy of Photoshop.

Modding is like modeling. Either you can do-up a sloppy one in a day just for the feeling of accomplishment, or you can go anal and spend six months researching and redrawing every last widget! I'm frankly surprised more kit modelers haven't latched onto CM simply to play with the tons of armor art.

There are just few rules for modding to follow. Anything else you can think of to get the job done (including using photos of real vehicles!) is fair game.

--

Just a couple simple modding "DON'Ts":

Don't go outside the proscribed dimensions or it'll crash your machine. The pixel-per-inch proportions (height and/or width) to stick to are 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc.

Don't blend or feather that magenta knock-out color (the color on the art that shows up see-thru in the game). Unless you've got a hard edge to that color you're liable to suffer from 'pink' edges around the knock-out.

...And always stay RGB color format, and preferably BMP file formart. There's not really much else to look out for.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

i am of course talking about camouflaged shermans and other allied tanks for the italian TOO :D

that was the only thin i looked forward to when they announced CMAK and lo and behold! NO CAMOED SHERMANS!!! :eek:

Oddball_E8,

Yeah, I'd like to see someone do a nice set of 1st Armoured Shermans. You know, like:

1stArmoured.jpg

So, what's up wit dat?

Gordon

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

Is there a site out there that tells us neophytes how to do mods? I don't have photoshop ... will MS Paint do it? It wouldn't mind messing around with it sometime. Though I don't feel like I have even enough time to play the game as it is. Ah, addictions...

My site has a few modding tutorials and i am hopeing to add some more.

Great mod Gordon. I'd buy that for a dollar! (an annoying old line from the movie "Robocop" ;) ).

That black-on-sand is the 'traditional' interpretation, and is my personal favorite. But be warned there's some armor historians who have recently been interpreting the 'black' color to have really been dark green. I don't know who's right, the color looks black to me in the B&W photos!

von Lucke and Major Gregg,

It's currently just something I was messing around with and it still needs a fair amount of finishing touches, and I'd probably do the Sherman III (early) and release them both at the same time, so no real timeframe, although they're fairly easy to do.

MikeyD,

Yes, I'm aware of the debate, but I'm firmly in the blue-black on light stone camp. smile.gif

Gordon

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

well i was talking about the italian theater... but your mod is outstanding gordon (as usual)

any chance of seeing anything like that in the more "green" colours?

Well, a camouflaged Sherman is a camouflaged Sherman. :rolleyes: AFAIK, blue black on mid stone camouflage was used in Sicily, and in some cases onto the Italian mainland.

I know that there were a couple of seemingly isolated uses of camouflage by US forces in Italy, and the Kiwis had a couple of different schemes in use, but I have no references showing other than blue black on mid stone camouflage on British AFVs early in the campaign.

Of course, any references are always appreciated. smile.gif

Gordon