Light Mortars

WP smoke is not something you enter dismounted if you can help it. It gives off quite a bit of heat sig so cannot be too friendly. Never been through it but I'd definitely mask up.

Even chemical smoke gives you a dry hoarse throat if you breathe in more than a whiff. If it can stain you combats green/blue/red etc then Lord only knows what it does to your lungs.

Just to re-kindle the old Bren gun fire and its 'legendary' accuracy - the British Army used tri-pod mounted ones in Belfast for sniping (of sorts) in the 1970's/80's. Mounted in a roof on a fix path to a known target location with a single roof tile removed to allow firing... Don't know any more details, but there must have been a reason they chose Bren over GPMG and I suspect it was a combination of single round fire selection and accuracy.

Have fired 51mm mortar myself and think it's a cracking bit of kit. Light(ish), portable, and able to get you out of the s%*& if pinned, allowing you to break contact and slink off in a different direction.

God Bless the CW and all who sail in her...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wartgamer:

Ive fired a M16 at full auto at 20m, 50m and 100m. I really do not care what 'John Salt' extrapolates.

Fine. In that case, do you think we might trouble you to stop bleating on about it? I am really not disposed to indulge your childish attention-seeking behaviour any more.

If you genuinely believe, on the strength of your having fired a different weapon with a different cartridge at different ranges, that you really and truly know more about the performance of the Sten than the people who ran the tests at the School of Infantry at Barnard Castle, go ahead and believe it. But please don't bore us all by going on and on about it over and over again.

You aren't going to convince anyone else simply by repeating your unsupported opinion, even interspersed with random googlings and displays of hysterical bigotry against the Commonwealth.

You are, however, going to bore people to tears.

You are clearly a most remarkably monotonous, dull, tedious and sleep-provoking person. Really quite catalepsy-inducingly, balls-achingly uninteresting; unrelievedly boring to a degree that surpasses even Des O'Connor.

Do shut up, there's a lambkin, before you induce narcolepsy on a pan-continental scale.

John.

Originally posted by cassh:

[snips]

Just to re-kindle the old Bren gun fire and its 'legendary' accuracy - the British Army used tri-pod mounted ones in Belfast for sniping (of sorts) in the 1970's/80's.

Oh, well played, Sir!

Bren tripods again, Huzzah!

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wartgamer:

Ive fired a M16 at full auto at 20m, 50m and 100m. I really do not care what 'John Salt' extrapolates.

Fine. In that case, do you think we might trouble you to stop bleating on about it? I am really not disposed to indulge your childish attention-seeking behaviour any more.

If you genuinely believe, on the strength of your having fired a different weapon with a different cartridge at different ranges, that you really and truly know more about the performance of the Sten than the people who ran the tests at the School of Infantry at Barnard Castle, go ahead and believe it. But please don't bore us all by going on and on about it over and over again.

You aren't going to convince anyone else simply by repeating your unsupported opinion, even interspersed with random googlings and displays of hysterical bigotry against the Commonwealth.

You are, however, going to bore people to tears.

You are clearly a most remarkably monotonous, dull, tedious and sleep-provoking person. Really quite catalepsy-inducingly, balls-achingly uninteresting; unrelievedly boring to a degree that surpasses even Des O'Connor.

Do shut up, there's a lambkin, before you induce narcolepsy on a pan-continental scale.

John. </font>

Originally posted by Wartgamer:

A test to find out a projectile is dangerous beyond its usable range? OMIGOSH! Lets break out the Noble prizes!

Nobel. His name was Alfred Nobel. The prize need not break out, nor be broken out, since it consists of money, which can be digitally transferred these days. You also get to shake the hand of the King of Sweden I believe, and eat fish in Stockholm.

You mentioned a M16. Who gave you this weapon?

Dandelion

smile.gif Good to see you too Jon. Hey - guess who I found the other day? Venus, no less! And you know its the strangest thing, but it appears she's in Manchester these days. Upon unearthing her hiding there, for some reason, I immediately came to think of you.

And is it not amazing still, that after more than two years of hard labour here under the Dandelion ID, and another year before that under the Moritz ID, this kid Wart here manages to post more posts than me in a couple of months? It's all embarrassing really.

Ah well, I suppose you're glued to the tellie tonight, watching the election? I am totally frolicing in the BBC graphics galore, both on TV and the webpage. We're ten years behind over here, in that respect. We get no graphics toys or people running about in virtual parliments in our elections. I'm even beginning to understand your impossible electorial system, from playing with these toys.

Cheers

Dandelion

Nothing? You mean Machester is a wild goose?

Or sit you in the House of Lords and need not care sir? smile.gif

Hm... There is of course a city in Texas called Venus. I remember old Lee mentioning it. That would explain the "buddy" expression. One would have expected to see a "mate" there... hmm...

I'll ponder it further.

Cheerio

Dandelion

:rolleyes:

Now to diverge into yet another OT, although this one is semi-OT.

The 3.7" CSH on A9, A10 and A13 Mk.II close support cruiser tanks. What sort of smoke? WP, pyrotechnic or BE/chem? I'm just trying to work out how mad those Englishmen were. CS tanks without HE?? Dammit, why couldn't they just steal HE from 3.7" mountain howitzer units eh?? Let alone shrapnel or cannister...

Originally posted by cassh:

Just to re-kindle the old Bren gun fire and its 'legendary' accuracy - the British Army used tri-pod mounted ones in Belfast for sniping (of sorts) in the 1970's/80's. Mounted in a roof on a fix path to a known target location with a single roof tile removed to allow firing... Don't know any more details, but there must have been a reason they chose Bren over GPMG and I suspect it was a combination of single round fire selection and accuracy.

Have fired 51mm mortar myself and think it's a cracking bit of kit. Light(ish), portable, and able to get you out of the s%*& if pinned, allowing you to break contact and slink off in a different direction.

Never heard that about the Bren in NI. Any idea which regiment used it thus?

I was also trained on the 2inch mortar and agree it was a cracking bit of kit, and the smoke screen you could put down with it does seem undermodeled in CM. It was standard platoon issue in my time (came out in '76) any idea when they withdrew it and what replaced it?

Cheers

Originally posted by llama:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by cassh:

[snips]

Have fired 51mm mortar myself and think it's a cracking bit of kit.

[snips]

I was also trained on the 2inch mortar and agree it was a cracking bit of kit, and the smoke screen you could put down with it does seem undermodeled in CM. It was standard platoon issue in my time (came out in '76) any idea when they withdrew it and what replaced it?

</font>

Originally posted by John D Salt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by llama:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by cassh:

[snips]

Have fired 51mm mortar myself and think it's a cracking bit of kit.

[snips]

</font>