CMBO worked fine - CBBB? No way. Help!!!

For the love of Christ Almighty help me!!!

I've been waiting for CMBB for a year. I've been badgering everyone I know to play CMBO. I've never in my life been hooked on a PC game - most of them bore me rigid - but CM has me completely in its thrall.

Then my brother e-mails me to say the CMBB demo is out. I slowly download it on my dial up connection and, eventually, try to boot it up. First I get the title music and the start up screen. Then I get a black screen and a message saying I need a 800 x 600 resolution. I reconfigure my settings to 800 X 600 - same thing. I uninstall, reboot and try again, this time selecting 800 x 600. Same thing.

I download DirectX 8 and try again. Same thing.

CMBO worked fine on this machine. I'm running a Pentium II, with 192 MB RAM. I'm not sure about video card (I inherited this PC) but I figured if CMBO worked surely CMBB will.

My brother keeps ringing me and raving about CMBB. Hell, people I *converted* to CMBO are ringing me and raving about CMBB. And I CAN'T PLAY IT, DAMMIT!!!

For the love of God please help me.

(yeah, okay, I've been drinking a lot of beer while trying to get this thing to run, so I'm a bit emotional. Help me dammit! Please!)

yours,

Sepp Dietrich

What kind of video card is it? To find out, right click on my computer, go to properties, and find the hardware manager and look for entries under display adapters.

CMBB has run with 8mb VRAM on certain computers, but your really want at least 16 if not 32 or more.

WWB

WWMB wrote

"What kind of video card is it? To find out, right click on my computer, go to properties, and find the hardware manager and look for entries under display adapters.

CMBB has run with 8mb VRAM on certain computers, but your really want at least 16 if not 32 or more."

Thanks dude.

I looked under hardware manager/display adapters. I got "ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)". No mention of VRAM. Thoughts?

Which version of Windows are you running ? The driver you're using comes from Microsoft, so it may be a bit dated.

If you're using Windows 98 or ME go to Control Panels > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > Adapter tab. Some of the text in this tab will often (though not for every model) tell you how much VRAM is on the card. ATI Rage Pros came in several configurations, usually 4 or 8Mb of VRAM.

If you're using Windows 98 or ME you can download and use the v. 4.13.1..2655 driver. You'll however need to download and install DirectX 8.1b (the upper of the two selections on the right is for Windows 98/ME). I don't know if you meant 8.1 when you actually said 8.0 above.

Even with these latest drivers there will probably be a number of items that don't display correctly. I haven't checked out the Rage Pros myself, so I'm unsure of what they are (most likely transparency effects, which will include explosions, gun effects and buildings among others).

The first time I downloaded the demo it refused to install. The second time, the program would start and I'd hear the music, but after that the program would simply terminate and return my PC to the desktop. No sign of it running anywhere. The third time I downloaded it (gotta love broadband) it worked with no troubles.

At no time did I change any of my PC's parameters.

Strangely, a few (3 or 5) times since installing CMBB (which has run flawlessly, if a bit slowly, on my soon-to-be replaced PC), CMBO has refused to start in just this same way if I attempt to start CMBO right after booting my PC. If I start CMBB first, even if I quit right from the menu screen, CMBO starts up w/ no trouble.

Just shows to go ya that anything can happen in the wonderful, wacky world of personal computing.

DjB