Where did the guns go ?

foamy

No Spoiler here;

I just got through playing "Two Pounders and Tigers", I was axis and won against the AI.

I then went to the map to take a look around, I wanted to see the two pounder guns and their positions - guess what, not a single gun to be seen, plenty of other stuff I had killed or captured, but not a single gun?

I had knocked some out during the game, so knew exactly where they were, but nothing to be seen ??

Can anyone explain this ?

Spoilers***************** really big spoiler.

Played it last week. There were about 5 or 6 two-lbers. It was the inf battalion that gave me the trouble retaking the flags in the orchard I had already taken. I should have pay closer attention to the breifing. BIG HINT: Allies had nothing that could do more than scratch the paint on the Tigres. Use them up front and keep the MkIIIs back for later in tha battle.

Originally posted by foamy:

Hi WWB - I Emailed you 4 turns where you can see that various knocked out 2 pounder guns "Vanish" into thin air after a few turns, eventually all disappear in the after battle map view.

Oooooo! Alien abductions come to CM! Yike!

;)

Seriously though, that is kinda weird and not especially good news. Now if your own units begin vanishing before they even have a chance to fire...

Michael

My armored cars definitely found them too. How did those things ever last in the real war so that the crews could become veterans?

As for the Tigers not being scratched ... keep in mind that tiger tracks are just as vulnerable as any other.... but it was fun moving them up close and watching the mad scramble. Fun scenario.

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

My armored cars definitely found them too. How did those things ever last in the real war so that the crews could become veterans?

By not going where there were nasty things that could kill them. This is one of those areas that CM deals with imperfectly. It's very hard to model the recce mission in CM, just as it's more or less impossible to model most engineering activities. They simply lie outside the province of the game.

The ACs are, I suppose, included in the game for those occasions where they might actually do some shooting, but that was rarely their job in the real war. Mostly they were meant to sneak up, observe, report, and get the hell out of there before they got caught spying.

In the desert and on the Eastern Front they also did patrolling where there were large distances to cover and not much likelihood of running into serious opposition.

Michael