Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMx2 bones a plenty (renamed)

Panzer76

Originally posted by Halberdiers:

Too much borg ?. :D

I think too much precision control in the player's hands. CM attempts to be as realistic as possible within the limits of being a game that is still fun to play. Your efforts to ease the learning curve for new players is commendable smile.gif , but if I may say so, misguided. I think that instead of provoking them to be dependent on a highly artificial aid that does not correspond with anything in the real world, it would be better if they simply set up some basic training scenarios in the editor where they could practice moving troops over various kinds of terrain until they became accustomed to movement rates.

Or they could just do what thousands of other players have done, and that is play the game. Most players pick up this kind of thing quickly I think. And it really isn't necessary to have perfect knowledge of movement rates in order to play effectively. There are much more important factors to master in the game.

Michael

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Michael. Of course, I tell me: be patient. The people say that the AI is stupid. Trust. smile.gif

too much precision control in the player's hands
But you do not think that the guys who wanna 30 seconds per turn, do not call for the same ,but inverse problem? .Under or over one-minute turn. Is not the same question ?: precision?

Originally posted by Halberdiers:

Thanks Michael. Of course, I tell me: be patient. The people say that the AI is stupid. Trust. smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />too much precision control in the player's hands

But you do not think that the guys who wanna 30 seconds per turn, do not call for the same ,but inverse problem? .Under or over one-minute turn. Is not the same question ?: precision? </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

It seems to me—and until Charles says otherwise—that the turn length is fundamental to all the other game functions. To make that an option might be like saying program three or four different games and put them on the disk so that we can pick the one we want to play.

Good point.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I do think the guys that want 30 sec turns do indeed want more precision. (That is one logical outcome of the 30 sec turn time)

Not necessarily. A 30 secs turns might be more intense and fun to play in a TCP/IP environnment, but a longer turn more interesting for a PBEM. Now, imaging if one could vary the turn lenght during a game. Ealy turns gets by the couple of minutes, and big action phases get segmented for fuller control.

Yet as Emrys point out, there are some very serious implementation problems with this idea.

Cheers