WaffleGrumbling ... damn CDV again !

Well, go to cmmods.com and look for a mod (probably it covers more bmp's than just the waffengrenadiere).

And to address the censorship problem, well... it is the law. The main goal of the German law regarding Nazi symbols is not to get rid off this stuff in strategic game, but they decided to fallow a pragmatic approach. I can live with it - and a mod :)

It is rather annoying how all other countries in Europe get lumped in with Germany however, I know its not a major issue like gameplay, but for a purportedly historically accurate game, it ruins the effect a little.

And what is a 'waffengrenadier'- an armed grenadier? Presumably as opposed to the deadly unarmed grenadiers... I appreciate the need perhaps for the law in Germany, but its not the case in the UK, for the obvious reasons that we never even contemplated 'batting for the other side'. ;) CM is the greatest game ive ever owned, but please get it sorted, maybe in a patch or CM*2.

Still important to note that while CDV has a point not showing swastikas and SS runes there has never been a case in Germany where using the term "Waffen-SS" (written not with runes) was forbidden by a court or any gouvernment institution. The German law outlaws symbols, not words, so this is hardly surprising.

That CDV harrasses you with the Waffengrenadiere is not in the law anywhere. It is either completely precautionary or it is done to keep bad press away from the publisher. The latter point is valid, you can assume that if the game is successful enough and has Waffen-SS in it the TV magazine "Monitor" or the Spiegel magazine will assault it.

But the claim that using the term in a game is forbidden by law is a straightout lie and I don't appreciate being lied to.

EDIT: in particular I don't appreciate it that this policy of CDV and their claims make my home country look bad. It is not German law that forces the Waffengrenadier on European CM players. It might be the German press but it is not the country nor its laws. The Germans are not that silly. They outlaw the symbols all right, but not words or phrases.

[ February 07, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Well, we can discuss German law but anyway I'm French, so ... tongue.gif

And I don't like those "content-it-all" publishers that find intelligent to make all of Europe fall under German law ! :eek:

I'm not sure I can find a "mod" cause it's the regular US icon file I want, I can even make one myself by a cut/paste of the SS CMBB icons I have into the CMAK file, I just need the bmp number in this case.

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

And I don't like those "content-it-all" publishers that find intelligent to make all of Europe fall under German law ! :eek:

I'm not sure I can find a "mod" cause it's the regular US icon file I want, I can even make one myself by a cut/paste of the SS CMBB icons I have into the CMAK file, I just need the bmp number in this case.

I've heard it's also French law.

IMHO, this is utter nonsense. Why not outlaw the "red-star" associated with the rabies-ridden regime of Joseph Stalin?

Or, for that matter, as the Confederate "stars and bars" is slowly hounded from view in the U.S., why not ban "old-glory" as well, as it is forever associated with Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

If we fail to take these measures, the bans I mean, then all we have done is bestow upon the winning side virtues that are far more apparent than real.

Germans aren't evil, anymore than Russians or Iraqis. But, governments are capable of ENORMOUS evil, including those of the victorious Allies in WW2, and the U.S., today.

So, by God, if you are gonna ban one regime's symbols, then damnit, ban them all. Let's establish an international "CMx" committee and get on with the purge, the sooner the better.

EZ

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

I've heard it's also French law. </font>

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Nope. French law forbids glorifying nazi behavior and feats, racism, antisemitism and so on, but don't regulate historical representation of SS runes (as long as it's not used for glorifying them etc..).

What concerns me is the fear these symbols must stir in the countries which ban them.

So what if some stupid neo-nazi wants to wave a swastika? good, lets me know who the bad guys are.

It leads me to believe that there is some fear that these symbols hold the power to raise the dead and ignite lost causes. Let the idiots have their hate symbol, but allow everyone to view history as it was, both the good and the bad sides of it.

But then again, thats probably my ethnocentrism speaking. Its such a basic violation of how I view Freedom of Speech as an American.

smile.gif

The subversion of truth and learning that occurs with unilateral bans such as those in effect against certain symbols, representations, and information is more to mankind's detriment than it is to our benefit. The repetition of history can only be prevented if it is KNOWN by the people. Slowly burying the truth under the guise of "good vs. evil" is only going to ensure the future contains more days of infamy and pogroms.

Well, thank God. I was afraid that even with the new game out we wouldn't hear this same endless round of whinging about something that's not going to change.

How refreshing to find that people never tire of making the same pointless points over and over and over again to absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

It's a bit like a dog going back and always urinating on the same spot, marking out his territory, letting everyone know he's there, leaving a message for other dogs. Of course the dog is usually making a more interesting statement, and after a while watching a dog piss on a tree is more interesting than a thread on this topic.

But it is reassuring to see that the circle remains unbroken.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Well, thank God. I was afraid that even with the new game out we wouldn't hear this same endless round of whinging about something that's not going to change.

How refreshing to find that people never tire of making the same pointless points over and over and over again to absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

It's a bit like a dog going back and always urinating on the same spot, marking out his territory, letting everyone know he's there, leaving a message for other dogs. Of course the dog is usually making a more interesting statement, and after a while watching a dog piss on a tree is more interesting than a thread on this topic.

:rolleyes: ....and your point is what? That you enjoy watching canines relieve themselves and can intimately identify with the habit/need? That sounds like an issue this forum is ill prepared to address. Hope you find what you're looking for in the end.

;)

Originally posted by Abteilung:

:rolleyes: ....and your point is what? That you enjoy watching canines relieve themselves and can intimately identify with the habit/need? That sounds like an issue this forum is ill prepared to address. Hope you find what you're looking for in the end.

;)

Who's a good boy, then, Abteilung? Who's a good boy? You're a good boy, yes you are, yes you are!

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Things won't certainly change if noone complains neither... And even if complaining doesn't make it change, tell me why I shouldn't complain about this ridiculous "political correctness" issue (because it ain't anything else).

Maybe one day BFC will get a serious European publisher instead of CDV, let's dream ! :D

Anyway the first goal of my post wasn't to complain but to find the mod to make the game historically accurate - as it is the BFC original game.

Now I'm glad, I've got the correct names and flags thanks to M Gallear. And I still scorn CDV tongue.gif :mad: