IWM Duxford

Shmavis

Originally posted by Shmavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mord:

Nope, terminally retarded.

Mord.

My previous comments were meant in good fun, by the way. I apologize for any offense, Mord. Pax vobiscum. </font>

Mord, I think I should tell you that the outdoor display is in a sad, sad state, or it was when I went there about 2 years ago. The vehicles are just left there to rust. I guess DoD funds are going "elsewhere".

However, the indoor display is great with mostly small arms. I recall one of the airborne(?) 75mm recoilless cannons and one of those tracked, remote-controlled bombs for clearing obstacles.

I would recommend visiting the place to anyone.

Mord, I think I should tell you that the outdoor display is in a sad, sad state, or it was when I went there about 2 years ago. The vehicles are just left there to rust. I guess DoD funds are going "elsewhere".

However, the indoor display is great with mostly small arms. I recall one of the airborne(?) 75mm recoilless cannons and one of those tracked, remote-controlled bombs for clearing obstacles.

I would recommend visiting the place to anyone.

I've heard the armor is in pretty bad shape but I noticed on the website they are looking to raise $300,000 dollars so maybe that is aimed at maintaining the outdoor displays..

I think I'll have a blast regardless...nothing like seeing the real thing! It should be fun.

Mord.

I spent several days wandering around there 25 years ago - is that of any interest??!! smile.gif

I remember the TSR-2, the Shorts SR-1 jet flying boat - my Dad had an old (1946) Meccano Magazine that had an article on it as the enxt greatest thing!! The 80cm shell, the RE-8 they were rebuilding and all sorts of other absolutely riveting stuff!!

Alrighty! I'm back from the Welcome Day event and have some photos. They're mostly of the Land Warfare Hall, but some are from the workshop. Would anyone care to see them? I suppose I could just go ahead and post them.

Yep, I worked full-time as a volunteer about a year or so ago. Was having a career break from work so worked there for a few months. Say hi to John Delany, he is the collections guy and also Alicia Gurney. They didn't have the STUG III when I was there though. Managed to get the keys and get into lots of the vehicles in the Landwarfare Hall (Hetzer, T-55, SU100 etc)_ Ask John for the keys. I installed the Gun sight Optics in the Hetzer (when you get into it you will see that I put a chain and padlock around it!)I only worked that hall and wrote some captions. Enjoy yourself they are a great bunch!

Originally posted by Neil aka Major Tum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shmavis:

Alrighty! I'm back from the Welcome Day event and have some photos. They're mostly of the Land Warfare Hall, but some are from the workshop. Would anyone care to see them? I suppose I could just go ahead and post them.

Yep, I worked full-time as a volunteer about a year or so ago. Was having a career break from work so worked there for a few months. Say hi to John Delany, he is the collections guy and also Alicia Gurney. They didn't have the STUG III when I was there though. Managed to get the keys and get into lots of the vehicles in the Landwarfare Hall (Hetzer, T-55, SU100 etc)_ Ask John for the keys. I installed the Gun sight Optics in the Hetzer (when you get into it you will see that I put a chain and padlock around it!)I only worked that hall and wrote some captions. Enjoy yourself they are a great bunch! </font>