CMAK Demo Nazi Flag Mod

The site is up for customers at present. Geocities can cut the page if it feels I having to many visitors about a usual months worth for this mod in around two days!

The Mod is based on the one in the demo and is slightly diffrent from the CMBB flag - slightly darker creases!

Lindan were you trying to keep my site up the top of the forum list! :D

I wouldn't call wanting to change my flags from the weird looking Balkenkreuz to the historically accurate an obsession. In my opinion it is more of a request for realism than paying any homage to the Nazi regime. If anything, it's an obsession for ACCURACY. To each his own. If anyone finds these historically correct symbols offensive then don't use them.

Historically the swastika was a symbol for prayer and hope--as any Buddhist shrine or temple will attest. Just because some egotistical psychopath chose this for his emblem is no cause to ban this symbol forever.

Remember that the Finns--as did many denizens of the Baltic States, used a similar style for centuries.

My family suffered much during the Russian occupation of Lithuania--many of my relatives were banished to Siberia. Do I find the hammer and sickle offensive?

No.

Originally posted by tooz:

I wouldn't call wanting to change my flags from the weird looking Balkenkreuz to the historically accurate an obsession. In my opinion it is more of a request for realism than paying any homage to the Nazi regime. If anything, it's an obsession for ACCURACY.

Yes, it's a well known historical fact that all German held positions in WW2 has huge, 50 foot square swastika flags fying over them :rolleyes: .

So maybe I should change all of my aerial recognition flags on my early war German tanks to those flags that have the CMBB type Balkenkruez on them? :D

I like the mods Mark--keep them coming. Andrew also took some heat for his SS runes mods. Andrew, love your mods--keep 'em coming.

Guys. It's a game. It's a fun historical game, nothing more. Don't like the mods, don't use them. tongue.gif

My only objection would be to the use of the word Nazi, especially in the subject header. If that's what it was, fine, but it's not, it's the Reichskriegflagge - Reich War Flag. Had nothing to do with the Nazi Party, it was a national flag, so perhaps we can just call it that and leave the loaded rhetoric out of it? Just a suggestion.

Mike as you are member no 361, I would not be in the least bit surprised if you put the pink stripe there on the orginal bmp!

For those that don't know the pink is invisible in the game and is used to keep the flag size in proportion. I assume the powers that be picked this colour as it does not appear very ofen on WW2 vehicles or uniforms or even in grass or skies even. See Mod School for hints on keeping your pink invisible.

I suppose its true that not many flags were flown over objectives in real life. I suppose we could use blue and red start lines and blue and red victory flags - I mean orange we wouldn't want to be too obvious would we ;)

Tooz has pointed out to me that only the German Navy used in the War Flag to any extent and we should be using the National Flag - maybe Andrew or JuJu will do one for us. (In fact JuJu's flag on Mod Corner can be used in CMAK as well with some very minor modifications to the very little flag.)

What's all about is German law which makes it illegal to promote Nazism not to use Nazi symbols in an historical context such as history books or historical computer simulations. (Battlefront want to sell to Germany for some strange reason!) Don't think we get many Neo-Nazis on the forum and I don't suppose the powers that be would let them post for very long if we did! You have to go to Switzerland or maybe Austria to meet any of them these days! ;)

[ December 02, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Mark Gallear ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jack Carr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lindan:

The obsession with nazi-symbols eludes me.

The lack of understanding concerning mods which make the game appear more historically correct eludes me. </font>

Guys, give it a rest. If you want a giant Nazi flag mod then go ahead and download it, or make one yourself. If you want a flag mod with a sheep on it with that "Come here big boy" grin on its face (Sit down Harv!), go ahead and do that as well.

IT'S YOUR GAME! Do whatever the hell you want to the graphics on your copy and PLAY IT, that's why we made it, but don't judge someone else for doing the same.

Madmatt

[ December 02, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Guys, give it a rest. If you want a giant Nazi flag mod then go ahead and download it, or make one yourself. If you want a flag mod with a sheep on it with that "Come here big boy" grin on its face (Sit down Harv!), go ahead and do that as well.

Ahh, that's a great idea for a mod of the New Zealanders' flag for CMAK!!

Time to run away now....

I didn't mean to offend. I just wondered why the swastika needs to be modded in. Does it really add to the game? I don't think so. The flags are just abstract indicators for possession, and surely don't detract from any "historical" correctness. You want them? There you go. No reason to get agitated over it.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

There was no such flag in WWII that resembled the one that comes with the game. Again, historically accurate flag. We all know the game uses the BMP's to mark held positions. To state to the forum members reading this post that either side threw up a huge flag to mark their position is ridiculous.

To reiterate, using the German battle flag circa 1939 - 1945 is more historically accurate than the politically correct flag that comes with the game.

If you cry at a modded BMP with a swastika on it what are you doing playing this game? Doesn't it bother your conscience to purchase a game related to the subject matter? I'm trying to restrain myself for the forums sake here but what exactly is your beef? How have you been emotionally hurt by this mod? Come on now tough guy, get it off your chest!

Jesus, you are a helmet. I was trying to explain why some people might feel that way. Clearly you can't respect their right to have a different point of view, and I have no more to say to you on the matter. Take it to the General Forum if you want a flame war.

There was no such flag in WWII that resembled the one that comes with the game. Again, historically accurate flag. We all know the game uses the BMP's to mark held positions. To state to the forum members reading this post that either side threw up a huge flag to mark their position is ridiculous.

To reiterate, using the German battle flag circa 1939 - 1945 is more historically accurate than the politically correct flag that comes with the game.

If you cry at a modded BMP with a swastika on it what are you doing playing this game? Doesn't it bother your conscience to purchase a game related to the subject matter? I'm trying to restrain myself for the forums sake here but what exactly is your beef? How have you been emotionally hurt by this mod? Come on now tough guy, get it off your chest!

Jesus, you are a helmet. I was trying to explain why some people might feel that way. Clearly you can't respect their right to have a different point of view, and I have no more to say to you on the matter. Take it to the General Forum if you want a flame war. </font>

Jesus, you are a helmet. I was trying to explain why some people might feel that way. Clearly you can't respect their right to have a different point of view, and I have no more to say to you on the matter. Take it to the General Forum if you want a flame war. </font>

Originally posted by Lindan:

The obsession with nazi-symbols eludes me.

I would say that this is is more of a quest for historical accuracy, as opposed to the current mania for hysterical political correctness. History HAPPENED in all its ugliness, no matter how people try to pretty it up or make it go away.

If one is going to recreate history, yes, even in a game, then historical accuracy is and should be a standard to meet. For the modders who strive to reproduce the German Armed Forces World War II insignia as accurately as possible, kudos to them.

People who are offended by "Nazi-symbols" and other not so pretty reminders of history (I am NOT saying that you are, okay ;) , no flame wars...) should not be playing this game, nor for that matter, should they watch TV, read books, etc, etc. History effects everything we do. To ignore history, or to selectively pick and choose what is and what is not acceptable in regards to history is, to me, a combination of arrogance and ignorance.

[ December 05, 2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: 1st Shirt ]