How to deal with nasty entrenched MGs?

Tigrii

A common and very nasty tactic is to put a couple HMGs in a trench in a good LOS vantage point near the back of the map. As has been covered in other posts, these HMGs are virtually impervious to elimination or even detection. I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on how to deal with them. They pose a difficult problem because even the trench they're in is invisible from over 200m, and since they're at the back of the map they are defended by a MLR at least 200m in front of them. All you get is a sound contact, and the usual technique of area firing into the patch of cover nearest the sound contact doesn't work because they're in a trench in open ground, and could be anywhere. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that it takes several direct hits from a mortar or tank gun to even shake an entrenched HMG. While all you get is an invulnerable sound contact, they are mowing down and pinning your infantry. How to deal with this problem?

You aren't going to take them out until you can get someone close enough for a full ID. Sometimes this can be a single tank ahead of the rest of your force. Sometimes it doesn't happen until you infantry get to or through his front line or MLR.

FOs are not a good solution, because trenches are very good cover against indirect arty fire. The way to take out an entrenched MG is with direct fire HE, from a tank, gun, or on map mortar (and not the dinky 50mms, either). But for that you need someone close enough to see the trench.

Sometimes you just absorb the full ammo load of the things. At long range and in cover, you can afford that. ("Cover" - read 25% exposure stuff, or less - buildings or rubble, trees, pine or woods, rough, etc). They hurt when you have to move in front of them over open ground, long enough for them to get off most or all of their shots. They will only get half a dozen guys over their whole ammo load, if the range remains long the entire time. (That can rise to a dozen - each - if you eventually do close with them).

The most basic solution is to plan your attack to avoid such a situation. On most maps there will be approach lanes that don't allow long range mg fire from the back of the defenders side.

If it looks like a single mg is slowing your advance, then you can advance a large number of squads at the same time (advance + hide). The mg can't target everything. The squads that get rattled should go to hide and let other squads take the heat.

Originally posted by redwolf:

And never forget to use units with binolulars if youa re trying to spot something like that.

I have noticed the 'has binoculars', but how do you use them? I guess that just means they can spot easier or at longer range than units without?

[ February 19, 2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Ansbach ]

Originally posted by Ansbach:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

And never forget to use units with binolulars if youa re trying to spot something like that.

I have noticed the 'has binoculars', but how do you use them? I guess that just means they can spot easier or at longer range than units without? </font>

Awhile ago I did a Vineyard test too see how easily a unit was spotted through a certain depth of vineyard. Though I took pains to pick a spotting unit without binoculars (I think I chose a bazooka team) I don't believe I could come up with a difference between spotting through a vineyard with or without binocs. So it could be binoculars may not affect all aspects of spotting, maybe just distance spotting or poor light conditions. It might not have an effect on spotting through LOS obstacles.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

So it could be binoculars may not affect all aspects of spotting, maybe just distance spotting or poor light conditions. It might not have an effect on spotting through LOS obstacles.

That is my guess as well after doing a little research in the manual. It says binoculars "greatly enhance a unit's long range spotting and identifying abilities."