NEW pics of my " 1941 - Blitz over Greece " mod project

At the risk of being accused of being an atmosphere grog, one of the things that I noticed immediately when I looked at those photographs is the smog layer.

A very sad subject.

Until the early seventies the light in Greece was spectacular. I first encountered it in the sixties, and couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was the air perfectly clear, but in many parts of the country it almost acted like a magnifying glass: you could litteraly see more, and everything was sparkling and clear.

Two things killed it.

Athens developed a layer of corrosive smog from a combination of cars and industrialization (particularly around Eleusis). This pollution is so bad that it eats away the surface of ancient marbles.

And the wind currents, particularly on the Adriatic side, brought a huge amount of East European industrial pollution and dumped it in the local atmosphere.

So the result is what you see in those photographs, particularly the first one: instead of ultra-clear magnifying light, you get layers of schmutz at and just above hilltop level.

Bottom line: don't use modern photographs of the modern Greek sky to get a realistic WWII Aegean sky mod.

Great work Tom. I come from Greece and I do have an interest in these mods.

If you want any help with Greek uniforms or terrain info I would be glad to be a little help.

PS. As for the sky in Greece yes Athens yes smog but all the rest is clear skies with no pollution problems.

Spartan1 :cool:

Originally posted by spartan1:

Great work Tom. I come from Greece and I do have an interest in these mods.

If you want any help with Greek uniforms or terrain info I would be glad to be a little help.

PS. As for the sky in Greece yes Athens yes smog but all the rest is clear skies with no pollution problems.

Spartan1 :cool:

IF you are interested in a PBEM game drop me an email, any scenario/op

Hi all,

Having two images from Greek army soldiers in 1940 - 41. Any other help needed for mod designers or map makers with Greek interest welcomed.

Alkiviadis thanks for the invitation I will send you an email for a future PBEM.

[ October 11, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: spartan1 ]

• 11 months later...

Painfbat,

Fortunately the defibulator was nearby. Clear.

Zap. A brief wiff of ozone. I'm OK now.

Yeah, come on back. Just don't do it again.

Tom just dissapeared and I fear the worst. He was the insperation for my CMETO and CMNormandy. I would have loved to see his CMGreece.

DavidI

If Tom was American and gone for 18 months the suspicion would be that he had been shipped off 'over there' with a stop-loss order thrown in for good measure. But since he's German... hey wasn't there a story about an innocent German citizen mistakenly kidnapped, carried off to God-knows-where, and repeatedly tortured by the forces of truth and justice? Eventually they dumped him blindfolded on a hillside several countries over from where he should'a been. Oh Tom, say it ain't so! :(