Allied Arty Availability

G'day

In two combined arms meeting engagement QBs, one at 1,000 pts and one at 1,250, with me as Allied regular, both around 1941, I have been unable to get enough points for any on-map artillery support - not even a 3 inch mortar spotter.

Has anyone else noticed a rarity in arty for allied? At what point level in combined arms would I get some of the queen of the battlefield?

cheers

smith

Originally posted by Brian Smith:

...any on-map artillery support - not even a 3 inch mortar spotter.

Mr. Picky desires to make a point of clarification. A 3" mortar spotter (meaning an FO I assume) would be spotting for an off-map battery. On-map means that the weapon is actually located on the playing map.

Just so we don't confuse ourselves. Thank you.

Michael

Larger QBs, i would have thought.

British Arty is expensive because it's rather good. More often than not with radios, large amounts of ammo and short delay times.

The rarity for 25pdrs is somewhat peculiar. A battalion would have a battery assigned to support it as part of divisional organisation, but the 25pdr spotter frequently has 20% rarity.

The pricing scheme in CM for Quickbattles probably works least well for off-map artillery.

For a decent scheme you should buy all this seperately:

- spotter, e.g. 30 points

- radio, e.g. 10 points

- battery, e.g. 100 points for a 105mm 4-howitzer battery

- ammunition, e.g. 1 point per 105mm round

The combined packages as we have are often very useless in any Quickbattle that you can do in TCP, e.g. up to 1500 points. In particular, when the Americans get the faster artillery in June 1944, they become *less* available because the modules just raise in price.

The absurd result is that realism is turned into the opposite. Heavy artillery should be most common for late-war Americans, but in CMAK it is least afforable for late-war Americans.

A random scout column in a meeting engagement, or an advance party hitting some stranggler, would in reality be most likely to get supposrt from a radio operator, because he is most likely to be able to rush for help. In CM, this is reversed, the immobile spotters are most available because the radio spotters are too expensive when rarity is on.

To fix this within the current scheme I think the only way is to half all the ammo and all the prices. For forces and times that would have high availablity you would go even further and devide everything by 3.