CMAK gameplay questions thread

MrSpkr

Note: Please keep this thread to questions and answers about the new demo.

1) When an M3 Lee gets a "gun" hit, are both guns taken out? If not, is there any method, short of firing the gun, by which one can determine which gun has been knocked out?

2) For purposes of tracing line-of-sight, determining concealment, and rating cover, what is the difference between "pine trees" and "palm trees"?

3) What effects do vineyards have on LOS, concealment and cover? Are they seasonal in nature?

Steve

..........sombody is trying to start a sticky thread........caught you red handed. :D

All jokes aside, actually this is a good idea. Surely there is gonna be all kinds of questions (gameplay related) about the demo and the soon to be released game. Rather than have all these questions scattered it would be good to have them all in one spot.

For your 3rd question. Madmatt said in another thread that the vineyard graphics definitely has seasonal change in the graphics. I believe that is all that was said and that he was gonna check on it.

2) For purposes of tracing line-of-sight, determining concealment, and rating cover, what is the difference between "pine trees" and "palm trees"?
AFAIK, Palm and Pine trees provide equal cover, concealment and obstruction to LOS. In effect, they are the same tile but with different graphics.

3) What effects do vineyards have on LOS, concealment and cover? Are they seasonal in nature?
The graphics do change with the seasons, just like wheat and trees. Not sure about LOS, concealment and cover.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

For your 3rd question. Madmatt said in another thread that the vineyard graphics definitely has seasonal change in the graphics. I believe that is all that was said and that he was gonna check on it.

Nope wasn't me, I tend to only comment on things which I had a part to play in or was responsible for implementing and terrain tiles is someone else's department. ;)

Madmatt

AFV "Shock" results.

My understanding is that in both BO and BB a "Shock" result left the affected AFV

1) unable to receive orders from the player

2) unable to perform any other actions until the "Shock" result was finished.

I was playing the Desert AK Demo scenario as the U.S. and one of my M3 GMC HTs was exchanging fire with a Panzer. As the movie played, there was an exchange of fire and the following occurred:

a) HT fires, misses.

B) Pz fires, hits, penetrates, kills crewmember, cause Immediate "SHOCK" result to the HT.

c) 2 seconds late the HT fires again, hits and penetrates the Pz.

d) a number of seconds later, the HT is still SHOCKED and fires again, again hitting and penetrating.

e) the movie ends, and when I check the status of the HT it is still SHOCKED and unable to receive orders.

My question is - has SHOCK always worked this way and I am just noticing (entirely possible) or is this new behavior?

-dale

MrSpkr...

1) Yes.

2) None I think.

3) Think brush-like, but different. Kinda. Different graphics for the seasons, but that's all I believe.

4) Good question. I've never noticed, but it'll be worth watching for now that you mention it.

5) I don't think so.

dalem...

I'm not sure, but I think Shocked worked this way in BB also. Much the same as how a Panicked squad can pull off a heroic feat, I think Shocked AFV's can still function normally on occasion.

Or I could be wrong. Something else to keep an eye out for.

Harv

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

4) Is it my imagination, or do fires in buildings start small then expand, just like grain fires?

Steve

Yes, they do. I had a Panzerschreck team and a HMG in a tall house that got hit by HE rounds and caught fire. The good thing is that once the fire's small, the men don't panic, running out in the open to be cut down but still follow orders. After a while the fire gets bigger and then they DEFINATELY will leave the building.

6) Do squads tend to fire less often, and conserve more ammunition?

7) Has the lethality of small arms fire been tweaked?

8) Has the movement rate of the Advance command increased?

9) Is the extreme fog of war now even "foggier" (more foggy)?

[ November 20, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

1) When an M3 Lee gets a "gun" hit, are both guns taken out? If not, is there any method, short of firing the gun, by which one can determine which gun has been knocked out?
In my experience both guns are taken out. I had an M3 take a gun damage hit and it wouldn't fire on anything else for the duration of the scenario, despite the fact that a HT that would have been vulnerable to both the 75mm and the 37mm twice came within firing range.

10) Is off-board artillery more inaccurate? I have had a number situations with a spotter, in good order, in command, with good LOS, consistently putting his rounds down somewhere between a little and a lot off target. Seems to particularly affect mortars.

Initally I thought it might be dust at the target end blocking LOS, but it turns out that wasn't the case, since opening rounds were falling off target (and off map in at least one case :mad: )

It was particularly annoying for the mortar since each turn off-target meant approx one-third of his ammo load wasted :mad:

Regards

JonS

11. Has something been changed in the way on-board mortars work? I have three of them under command of an HQ which in turn has an LOS on enemy units, but the mortars won't target them, not even with area fire.

On another note, I placed my two GMC HTs in hull-down positions on the back of the map and early on they got into duels with the ACs. One started taking fire and started to back up, and I thought "Uh-oh, he's going to run for it," but it turned out he was just adjusting his position a little bit and he kept on firing. Exceedingly cool!

:cool:

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

On another note, I placed my two GMC HTs in hull-down positions on the back of the map and early on they got into duels with the ACs. One started taking fire and started to back up, and I thought "Uh-oh, he's going to run for it," but it turned out he was just adjusting his position a little bit and he kept on firing. Exceedingly cool!

:cool:

Michael

My SPOILER

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStuH

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

END SPOILER

did that in one scenario as well. Yes, very cool.

[ November 21, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

SPOILER

12) Has anyone else noticed that the Grants seem to be incredibly accurate vs. the German gun halftracks that arrive around turn 3? The Grant 75 cannot seem to hit the German tanks without firing 3-5 shots, but can nail HTs 'shooting and scooting' (from the far side of a ridge) on the first shot time and time again.

Steve