Barkmann in the Bulge

Ernst Barkmann of the 2nd SS Panzer Division had a incident in the Battle of the Bulge where he drove into a column of Shermans and rammed one to get away.

Can anyone give me details of this fight? When? Where? Which American unit this was?

All help appreciated and noted in any scenarios that result.

Panther Commander

Panther Commander:

AFAIK Barkmann's Panzer 401, 4th Panzer Co. got seperated from the rest of his unit on the night of December 24, 1944 during the Assault up N15 toward Manhay. I think this is the incedent you are referring to. Understrength and exhausted elements of 7th Armored recently withdrawn from the St Vith area (48th armored infantry Bn. and 40th Tank Bn.) were defending the area, as well as elements of the 3rd armored (you know these guys ;) ) and 82nd AB. These units were in the process of pulling back to new positions when the 2nd SS struck.

an excellent account of this action is found in: MacDonald "A Time for Trumpets" pp 550-553

Wild Bill did a great little CMBO scenario covering this action called "Manhay - On the prowl"

No that is not the engagement I am looking for. It is not the Manhay fight against 3rd AD, but this one against 2nd AD...

SS-Oberscharfuhrer Barkmann continued his successful career and took part in the Ardennes Offensive in December of 1944, where on December 25th he was seriously wounded. During the Ardennes Offensive, Barkmann's Panther drove into the group of American tanks from the 2nd Armored Division. Quickly combat begun and outnumbered Barkmann managed to knock out few Sherman tanks. One Sherman rammed Barkmann's Panther but didn't cause much damage although both tanks were stuck together and Panther's engine stalled. After a few minutes, Barkmann's mechanic managed to restart the engine and Panther retreated with blocked turret. Even with the damage, Barkmann knocked out Sherman that was pursuing him and retreated to safety although his Panther was beyond the point of repair.

Hopefully someone has a bit more information on this encounter than I have at the moment.

Thanks ahead of time.

Panther Commander

From what I can tell, these may be accounts of the same incident. My guess is that your source here which places the incident on the 25th, not the 24th, and vs. 2nd Armored, not 3rd Armored, has gotten some of the details wrong. On the 25th, for example, the US 2nd Armored was engaging the 2nd Panzer Div near Celles, in the far west extension of the bulge, NOT Barkman's 2nd SS Panzer, which was further east near Manhay.

[ August 03, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

From what I can tell, these may be accounts of the same incident. My guess is that your source here which places the incident on the 25th, not the 24th, and vs. 2nd Armored, not 3rd Armored, has gotten some of the details wrong. On the 25th, for example, the US 2nd Armored was engaging the 2nd Panzer Div near Celles, in the far west extension of the bulge, NOT Barkman's 2nd SS Panzer, which was further east near Manhay.

The article doesn't say he was fighting in Manhay agains the 2nd Armored only that he was wounded on the 25th. The incident where he drove into the Shermans could have taken place at any time.

I'm not sure if the 2nd Armored Division and the 2nd SS Panzer Division even met each other in the Bulge at all. I guess that is where I need to start. :rolleyes:

Panther Commander

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

Theres good info in Armor Battles of the Waffen SS

Yes, and that is where I found it. Just a couple of days ago. Your reply got by me when I was out of town. Thanks for the help anyway.

The unit was in Manhay but it was not the 3rd Armored Division it was the 7th Armored.

Panther Commander

• 2 weeks later...