IR equipped Panthers, Halftrack and Men...

Hi guys,

New to the forum etc etc. All the formalities over now. ;)

Now i was wondering if there is any mod out there regarding using Panthers (along with the accompanying Halftrack "Owl" and support troops "Vampir") equipped with IR devices? I know these are extremely rare and only one supposed battle happened which resulted in the destruction of a British Armoured Division.

I would think that with all the "what if" scenarios that Combat Mission allows that these awesome units would be a nice addition to the German army lists...

Thoughts?

I will also do the same post on CM:BtB as well (where it might be more appropriate come to think of it... :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Alistair

Australia

Use an crack or elite PzKpfw V G (Panther), a HT of your choice and Sturm-infantry (squad), which were equipped with more StG44s (MP44). IR devices you will more probably see in the next generation of CMXX, just like other needed accesories for night combat like illumination, shadows,...

If you didn't know about the IR prototypes, you should look up some more stuff about what the Nazis came up with. Some of the stuff is truely amazing (and scary). It is not only military fighting stuff but some of the medical research such as organ transplants and tissue cloning. The end of the Nazi era set the stage for the technological advances by the USA and USSR. And it is no coincidence that both the USA and USSR split Germany down the middle and both countries ended up with jet fighter and spaceships shortly. Some countries are just now getting to that stage. Only if nazi germany was a good guy...think of all the advancements in society and technology we could have seen.

Ususally you can find out about this stuff in books title "Secret weapons of Nazi Germany" or something similiar to that topic.

Although it's interesting to note that the Soviets at least ended up with a British designed jet engine in the MiG 15. Most of the British jet tech. was developed independently to German tech.

The US also got jet tech from the British, although some of the aerodynamic design for all sides certainly came from Germany.

Originally posted by With Clusters:

IR, as in 'infra-red'? I know there were lots of tech advances (rockets, guided missles, etc.) in WWII, but wow, they came up with that in WWII too?

Indeed, very early in the war the Germans issued a man-portable IR warner that would indicate if you were being illuminated by an IR ("black light" as we used to call it) searchlight. AIUI these widgets were issued during the Saar Campaign of 1940. Sadly, the French had not developed any IR searchlights by 1940, so the warners were useless.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Although it's interesting to note that the Soviets at least ended up with a British designed jet engine in the MiG 15. Most of the British jet tech. was developed independently to German tech.

The US also got jet tech from the British, although some of the aerodynamic design for all sides certainly came from Germany.

Didn't realize that the Mig 15 was a British design, then was the US F-86 (Sabre) also of British design? I thought that the Mig 15 was copied from the F-86. These two planes fought pretty much evenly in Korea, correct? Soviet spies were busy.

For all of Nazi Germany's fancy research, they never figured out how to make the ultimate weapon, nukes. Only the richest country spending all that money could do it and they did it with some help from some Germans who were kicked out of Germany. So much for the German war machine.

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

For all of Nazi Germany's fancy research, they never figured out how to make the ultimate weapon, nukes. Only the richest country spending all that money could do it and they did it with some help from some Germans who were kicked out of Germany.

And I seem to recall a little assistance from the British Commonwealth... ;)

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

So much for the German war machine.

"Not only do we have better everything than the Germans, we've got better Germans than the Germans!"

I wish I could remember who said that.

All the best,

John.

The engine in the Mig-15 was a copy of the RR Neene, sent to russia about 1948 by the then Labour UK Govt I think.

Post war Russian jet development is quite interesting, with some odd designs, and a copy of the Me-262 that wasn't proceeded with for political reasons!

"And I seem to recall a little assistance from the British Commonwealth..."

-True indeed, but my point is the Nazi ideology eventually limited their technical prowness.

"Not only do we have better everything than the Germans, we've got better Germans than the Germans!"

-It's from the Right Stuff regarding Werner Von Braun. Yeah the Germans had great rocket technology but worthless really without a good guidance system or a a good warhead like a nuke which they would never would have been able to make.