Attack Frontages

Do you preffer to concentrate your forces at one place on the map or spread them out? I usually concentrate my troops. Then I can put down more fire at one part of the enemy line and break through faster. And enemy troops on the other side of the map can't fire at my troops.

On the other hand, if you attack the whole map you can flank and surround the enemy. You can also find weak point in the enemy defenses and if you have any reserves/reinforcements you can use them to attack the weak points. If you manage to do that you can get behind the enemy line and hit him from the rear. What do you prefer to do?

Depends on the situation. In the normal circumstances, I will concentrate forces on one point while keeping guards on the flanks to scout and pursue the enemy if they try to move away. But I also have a second wave of men following the breakthrough spearhead, their job is to get in through the hole that the vanguard has made. That way I also don't make too tempting targets for enemy artillery.

But it all depends on my forces, the anticipated enemy forces and the SWOT analyses that I have made.

depends on the mission your forces and which side you are on. spreading forces is easier with the allies as you have more forces to spread. this is more difficult for the germans, as you generaly have less troops. i think its best to look at the map, and figure a main force but keep a couple of secondary forces covering your flanks. but if you play as the germans be careful you may not have enough tanks to do this

Originally posted by yacinator:

If you manage to do that you can get behind the enemy line and hit him from the rear.

Attacking from the rear in CM IMO is not as effective as in real life. The only benefit is if you find soft targets, or if you can attack from 2 directions at once.

Every time I have gotten to the enemy's rear, it just turns the battle around.

If you have a chance to do so, you'll use a thin screen of patrols to locate and identify opponent deployment. Unsurprisingly, these will focus on access to flags smile.gif

Few opponents will challenge you in the recon battle. If they do, you're in very serious trouble.

Once you figure out his deployment (there is a price to pay, some of your recon patrols will be lost), you'll focus firepower on a point of your choice. Frontage is firepower is frontage.

You can comparatively easily tie down the rest in combat with a thin screen, keeping everybody occupied enough to be unable to move. Especially if he is reckless enough to deploy all troops up front. A machinegun alone can tie down a platoon.

He will lose that point. And eight times out of ten, he will react similar to the AI. He will want it back. And come a running. Into preplanned crossfire, hopefully. Might as well pre-plot arty on approaches.

Concentration is everything. Problem is that concentration is useful only in the exact moment it is needed. Before and after, it is merely artillery target practice (and bait for those &%"¤# 2 inch mortars). But concentrations can be well hidden if you win the recon battle. He'll know nothing because he can see nothing. If you can't use sound discipline, you can use speed.

If you defend it is comparatively easy. Except your assets will not match your tasks of course.

Bad boxers adjust their guard to where they have already been hit. Good boxers adjust the guard to the next anticipated hit instead. One third up front, to thirds reserve, and monitor his focal effort.

Works most of the time. But of course against a balanced force led by an equal foe, there is no such thing as victory. Only variations of defeat, for both. And most scenarios are balanced.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

If you manage to do that you can get behind the enemy line and hit him from the rear.

Attacking from the rear in CM IMO is not as effective as in real life. The only benefit is if you find soft targets, or if you can attack from 2 directions at once.

Every time I have gotten to the enemy's rear, it just turns the battle around. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

One thing that I've tried to do many times but never yet succeeded at, is to completely envelop one of his flanks and then to roll up the whole line. That would be fun!

Michael

This is more of what I was referring to. I would like to see the next CM try to model in more detail negative moral effects. For example, if a platoon of friendly units is broken and runs away, wouldnt that effect the moral of friendly soldiers around them.

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

Every time I have gotten to the enemy's rear, it just turns the battle around. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

One thing that I've tried to do many times but never yet succeeded at, is to completely envelop one of his flanks and then to roll up the whole line. That would be fun!

Michael

I've actually managed to do this against a human opponent. We used a random map in a QB and it came with huge hills and no cover. It was fun, for me.