Game/Sim Mechanics in CMAK vs CMBB?

Canuckgd

I'm waiting (very patiently, I might add :D ) for my copy of CMAK to come in. I was just wondering though, so I can get as much reading done ahead of time, are the basic commands & game/sim mechanics the same as CMBB? In other words, if I know how to play CMBB, will there be much transition to CMAK? Are there any large differences, or are they mostly minor? I have CMBB and have been playing the AI partly to get up to speed on CMAK, but wondered if I was out to lunch on this (mind you, CMBB "ain't half bad" in it's own right! ;) ).

Many thanks!

Glenn

The only real difference is dust. Dust thrown up by vehicles on the AIs side of the map means you get to prepare an ambush.

Dust on your side of the map means you are going to catch the AI completely unawares. It does not 'see' dust. Also, when in trouble backing your vehicle into it's own dust cloud, however feeble, is a way to safety. And then there is kicking up dust with vehicles (or arty) to screen advancing troops.

Thanks junk2drive - I did and it's in successfully smile.gif . Looks really good too. I'm going to do the tutorial scenario this evening (I've been playing CM for a year and a half now, but I still like doing the tutorial because I relearn things I've forgotten).

One thing I REALLY like in this version is the neat que-card/quick-manual that the disk comes in. Man, that's handy! Some of the "cartoons" are pretty hilarious as well, so great job again CM! I got the companion book with it as well, so there'll be my reading for a bit. Gotta remember to get the add-on scenarios before I go, too.

I'm off to see if I can get myself KIA'd or Surrendered in the tutorial then :D . Catch you later, and thanks for the feedback smile.gif

Glenn

My next advice, for Windows PC, navigate to your CMAK folder. Make a copy of the bmp folder and rename it originalbmp. Then you can start modding and have a backup.

The other thing I do is rename the scenarios folder (after playing most of those) to origscenarios. Make a new folder named scenarios. Download new scenarios somewhere. Move or copy or unzip them if zipped into the scenarios folder that you created. That way you have the battles and ops that came with the CD seperate from the new ones. You can always copy from the origscenarios to scenarios for the ones you haven't played. Otherwise your menu gets to be pages and pages.

The games come with winter terrain but do not come with any winter mods for uniforms or AFVs. You can unzip directly to the bmp folder. I advise you to get and learn McMMM mod manager.

Generally speaking mods do not interchange between BO BB and AK. Sometimes they do. If you unzip into your AK bmp folder a white washed AFV and later find a snow covered tri color camo, you will have to overwrite the 1st with the 2nd or use the mod manager to swap back and forth.

Andrew Fox is the only one doing uniform mods these days.

His CMBB Winter Heer should work in AK. It has the options of whites and splinter camo. McMMM will seperate the options for you. You then select the one to install. You should check and uninstall one before the other.

Whites are nice but if it is cold and light snow the trees will be bare and the pines green. I wouldn't want to be standing in front of green pine trees or in a city fight in a white smock.

to me it depends on the battle and the surroundings. Same with whitewash.