CMMods.com Update Pt. V (02/03/06) IT'S UP!!!

As most of you know, the website has been down since 1/21/06. My hard drive is failing with a boat load of bad sectors and read errors.

My second Maxtor drive in < 2 years to fail. DO NOT USE MAXTOR!!!

Don't worry, the mods are all still there. I was able to copy all the data to my workstation and will reload when a new server is built.

Please be patient with me while I rebuild the server. I don't think it should be more than 1-2 weeks to get it back up, but at least this time none of the data will be missing. I just need to reload the OS, but this time I'm going from RedHat to Win2k3, hopefully.

BTW, anyone want to donate a copy of Windows 2003 server? Email me if you can help.

Yes, my email is still functioning... for now.

[ February 03, 2006, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

My second Maxtor drive in < 2 years to fail. DO NOT USE MAXTOR!!!

Odd... I've heard several similar stories, especially about 10 years ago, but I've been using Maxtor's exclusively since the late 80's/early 90's. I've had some try to give up the gun over the years, but none died before a replacement was sent by Maxtor. In fact, I just bought a 200gb external last week (gotta' love Xmas gift certs!), only to read inside the box that Maxtor was bought out by Seagate (who made my first hard drive, that I'd "never fill up!!" ...IIRC, a whopping 5 MEGS!!!)

It's kinda funny because I've been wanting to rebuild the server anyway. And I've had the feeling this was going to happen soon.

I'm moving from RedHat to Win2k3 simply because it's easier to work with. I'm kind of a Linux newb. I like Linux (heard the SuSe is da bomb), but there's so much more support and options for a Win server. It's pricey, but at least I won't be worried about not knowing how to fix something.

Look for it Sunday. That's my plan anyway.

Originally posted by FLY:

Tried to email you again, is your email cozog@cozog.com? I have a boxed copy of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise that I am willing to donate to you...

Scott

Wow, that's outstanding! We definitly need to talk more. If you can't get mail to go through at cozog@cozog.com, email me at tangoj@yahoo.com and we'll figure something out. Let me know when you send it so I can look for it. Thanks!

D'oh!

And I had a new arid rock ground mod ready to go too! Ah well, as they say - patience is a virtue... I hear.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I had a happy surprise this weekend. I was tinkering with my old mac and quite by accident I seem to have significantly cut the chronic downsampling problems I've always had! All of a sudden I can view my own mods just as sharply as everyone else! Nothing short of a miracle in my opinion. :D

And another thing, I think i've got ColumbusOHGamer's cold, myself!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

And another thing, I think i've got ColumbusOHGamer's cold, myself!

It's funny, a guy I work with also stayed home yesterday with the same thing. A couple other people in the office have it and every family I know has had at least one incident of it. I'm usually pretty immune to those things, but this one kicked my a$$ for a couple days.

On a more positive note, the new Win2k3 OS should be arriving tomorrow and I've been spending my sick days reading my tech manuals to brush up for the upgrade. I'm predicting Sat afternoon at the earliest and Sunday evening at the latest to have CMMods.com back up again. Yeah!

P.S. You should ALL be kissing FLY's big hairy booty. He donated the OS to me to get CMMods back up. Give him a big THANKS!