What grass mod do you use?

subject to change

spring summer eto ed's cmbo 1550-1569

fall dd's cmbb grass and steppe mod

winter wet muddy sdog cmbb renumbered 1570-1589

gurra's normandy grass is a good choice and probably closer to nw europe summer

i dont play italy, but gurra's sdog redo is good.

magua's normandy grass and subdued are other choices.

i use the "valley of trouble" remake to see the most elevation changes in color.

time of day, year, weather, seems to change the color of open ground. i might change mods because of that. i try to match my treebases and flora to the grass choice.

i dl'd a couple more cmbo grass mods from cmhq. i ran some test with valley of trouble. most bo mods dont work well with ak because of the increased number of elevation changes in ak.

gurra's normandy mod works the best for not changing drastically up the hillsides, and has the right look for nw europe summer. even fall winter are good. matches well with juju's and gurra's treebases and various trees. it includes both sets of bmp numbers.

gunnergoz real grass has an dark maybe muddy look that works well in flatter terrain.

wolf's grass at 1.4 mb has to be the easiest on older systems. got real funky at higher elevations.

vossie's grass has received good reviews.

i still like ed's the best for a dark textured look and sdog for muddy dead winter. (at cmhq, cmmos, cmbo, terrain)

use mcmmm to redo the zips into excmmos. have a backup.

Very interesting question. Getting the right "feel" for your CM landscape is another part of very big fun factor in this series as is say just getting your Nashorn to survive an encounter with almost ANYTHING - er sorry off topic lads and am smacking wrist. My main experience is BB.I have only just bought AK, still playing it "out of the box" and, like maybe Junk2Drive, seem to enjoy the Desert stuff best). AK stock graphics are pretty good ie better than BB stock graphics as were they over BO.

Personally I'm a big fan of dd's overall landscape package which is easy to use (CMMOS formatted and on Combat Mission HQ web page)and for me provides a gritty/grainy browny/sludgy effect into which the vehicles seem to blend better. Occasionally I've added in Ed Kinney's trees/treebases as they are excellent. dd's winter stuff( also on CM HQ pages) is pretty neat too although Captain Wacky's gridded snow mods( also CMMOS friendly) are v useful to help with elevation calculations etc

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I'm curious, California has, I'm told, a Mediterranean climate, and out here the grass (mostly wild oats) is green in the winter and brown in the summer. Likewise, I recall the opening scenes from Patton where the locals are stripping the dead G.I.s in the aftermath of Kasserine Pass, which I believe was filmed in Morocco, but is nonetheless quite green. I beleive the ground Mod bmps are different between summer and winter, am I right? Are there any Mods that will give me green grass in winter?

Since you brought this up, I've seen calif from el centro to weed.

A lot of korea photos look like high desert cal, oregon, washington, b.c.,

Tom's Greece Slavic Baltic mod looks like just the ticket for mimicking that type of terrain. We just have to wait for it.

OSF mod grass and brush could be used for some things.

In the meanwhile, at tpg I have a list of seasons and bmps in the design tips section.

Tell me what grass mod you want and I'll see what I can make for you ;)

I went through the cmmods, AK and BB for bmp 1570. I could not find any green grass mod for 1570-1589. Your best bet with a dial up, take your original CMAK 1550-1569 and copy to a folder. Renumber each bmp to 1570-1589. Use a zip program to make a zip for McMMM to swap it in and out. The game will still tint the grass red in Italy 43-44 winter spring until winter 44-45.