Combat Chess - anyone play with NO fog of war?

Michael Dorsh u said that with no fow u can plan out battles better. u probably can but there is no reason to becouse u can anihalate the whole enemy force in the first turn with an arty strike. and don't forget that ,as i said, it will disable snipers and ambushing. how the **** r u gonna take out a platoon of tanks with only some infantry if u can't ambush? what will the enemy ride into your ambush? no they'll just blow the hole place to hell with some 155mm arty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by yacinator:

Michael Dorsh u said that with no fow u can plan out battles better. u probably can but there is no reason to becouse u can anihalate the whole enemy force in the first turn with an arty strike. and don't forget that ,as i said, it will disable snipers and ambushing. how the **** r u gonna take out a platoon of tanks with only some infantry if u can't ambush? what will the enemy ride into your ambush? no they'll just blow the hole place to hell with some 155mm arty

As stated above, arty in turn 1 would be a bit unsporting. If you want to play competitive, NFOW is probably not a good idea. It is for a game between gentlemen who agree on certain house rules to get better insight into the game mechanics or to have fun. Winning in CM is not everything - it is more important to me (and many others) to establish good relations with their opponents or even make friends. That's what games are for.

What is correct is that once ambushes are gone, you have to plan very good. A sniper will probably kill less TCs, he can't roam the rear areas or hide - but even if visible, he is a constant threat if used with the knowledge that yor opponent can see him. You know exactly what the opponent is bringing up and have time to counter it. You must have a balanced combined arms force which is mutually supporting itself on the battlefield. Just like in chess where a pawn can make a difference if you plan well, a Bazooka will only take out a tank if you outsmart your opponent and force him to move like you dictate.

Judging by your choice of words I guess a game with you would be over after turn 1.

Gruß

Joachim

u probably can but there is no reason to becouse u can anihalate the whole enemy force in the first turn with an arty strike. and don't forget that ,as i said, it will disable snipers and ambushing.

That being said, :rolleyes: I play most of my games 'hotseat' against my brother believe it or not. We got tired of having to leave the room during every turn so we turned FOG off. Game sucked. Plain and simple.

Well Chuck might disagree, but that wasn't half bad. Just tried a QB on a SL conversion map with computer picked forces. The computer made crappy picks, but the gameplay was indeed quite different.

One definite advantage - you can tell early on if a game is unwinnable and don't have to stretch it out ten turns or so trying to figure out if you still stand a chance cause you don't know what the enemy's got.

One definite advantage - you can tell early on if a game is unwinnable and don't have to stretch it out ten turns or so trying to figure out if you still stand a chance cause you don't know what the enemy's got.

whatever happened to "fight to the last man"?

anyway if u can't win u still can put up 1 hell of a fight.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

whatever happened to "fight to the last man"?

anyway if u can't win u still can put up 1 hell of a fight. </font>

do u only play battles that u can win?

Several thougths on this:

He who runs away lives to fight the other day.

He who does not fight achieves the greatest victory.

Negotiating the terms of surrender or retreating is part of the game. It may minimize your loss.

Ending a game (and admitting defeat), then starting a new interesting battle is often better than playing a few more boring turns.

In real life wars, fights to the last man are rare. If you stand no chance and are still able to retreat - do it. If you are outgunned and in an unfavorable position you will inflict a few casualties and die. If you retreat and fight again, you will probably inflict more causalties in the future than you could now.

"1 hell of a fight" is for movies.

Starting a lost battle still demands that you concentrate on minimizing your loss.

Gruß

Joachim

Minimize losses, retreats.....this is how I play when things get real bad. It's realistic, and interesting too. It's not easy to break contact. I never surrender until I've evaucuated the battlefield. If my opponent wants to agree to a ceasefire before then, that's fine with me.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by JonS:

He spends too much time learning how to read and write with whole words to play pointless scenarios.

You should try it sometime.

if that was directed at me go **** yourself

Originally posted by Joachim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

do u only play battles that u can win?

Several thougths on this:

He who runs away lives to fight the other day.

He who does not fight achieves the greatest victory.

Negotiating the terms of surrender or retreating is part of the game. It may minimize your loss.

Ending a game (and admitting defeat), then starting a new interesting battle is often better than playing a few more boring turns.

In real life wars, fights to the last man are rare. If you stand no chance and are still able to retreat - do it. If you are outgunned and in an unfavorable position you will inflict a few casualties and die. If you retreat and fight again, you will probably inflict more causalties in the future than you could now.

"1 hell of a fight" is for movies.

Starting a lost battle still demands that you concentrate on minimizing your loss.

Gruß

Joachim </font>

if that was directed at me go **** yourself

Lemme guess, you'd kick my ass, but can't read the road signs to get to my house?

1. it's not like actual ppl die. it's just a game

Some people play it as a simulation. There is a big difference.

2. i don't care about living to fight another day in a scenario becouse there won't be another day,
See 1) above.

3. again this is not real life
See 1) and 2) above.

4. don't tell me when to end my game i'll play a hopeles battle if i want to
Don't you think thst's a little rich coming from you, since you just told Dorosh how he should play?

5. games r supposed to be entertainment i'll tell my men to fight like they do in the movies
See 1), 2) and 3) above.

6. usually u can negotiate a ceasefire without having no fow. when **** hits the fan u'll know
And when your opponent hits the surrender button, you'll know.

Free link.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...I have a hard time taking offence if that was your intent. Enjoy the picture book, I am sure that will be easier for you than making intelligent conversation.

I would imagine that intelligent conversation with you is sitting around the hospital talking about frost and polar bear bites.

Are all Canadian soldiers nurses like yourself, Mike?

;)

edit: By the way, I ordered War Without Garlands. I'll let you know if its any good.

[ April 07, 2004, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Yaphank ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Reminiscing once again about the old Squad Leader days in another thread got me to thinking.

I always play with Extreme Fog of War as the default setting - I think most of us do, but perhaps that is gross presumption on my part.

Board wargames is/are the precise reason I always use it... because we can now! (well, since the early 80's "now" *grin*)