CMBB reviewed in Military History Magazine

I ask you, how could a mil history mag NOT praise CMBB? This game simply drips history! I can see (and have seen) dumb-ass shooter game types turning their noses up at the game – not enough twitching, too much thinking – but people interested in history have got absolutely nothing to complain about with this game.

...except when I try to use more than eight Sturmtigers at a time in a scenario ;):D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by MikeyD:

I ask you, how could a mil history mag NOT praise CMBB? This game simply drips history! I can see (and have seen) dumb-ass shooter game types turning their noses up at the game – not enough twitching, too much thinking – but people interested in history have got absolutely nothing to complain about with this game.

...except when I try to use more than eight Sturmtigers at a time in a scenario ;):D

Ditto.

Still playing it after all this time. In fact CMBB and CMAK are the only games on my $2000+ rig. Set it up just to play these games without any hassles.

Really is an incredible game.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahhh... Close Combat, now *there's* another good game. As a CMBB rookie, I credit my early successes against the AI on the experience gained in Close Combat: Invasion Normandy... (like, *don't* let your tanks charge ahead, cover your advance, don't overextend).

BTW... what's a Waffenschleppenvashen? :cool:

I would like to ask those who have tried other games what they think, particularly with regard to:

Codename: Panzers

D-Day

Battleground 1942 (??? - maybe Battlefront...)

and others. Personally, I like the opportunity to plan my moves and not be continually stabbing at the mouse like a demented experimental subject in a stress study. Close Combat was too fast for me. I think games should reflect the fact that human intelligence (i.e., the player's) is substituting for the lack of AI intelligence. What I mean is that if I plan a platoon's movement in detail in CM, I am substituting for the platoon commander by giving those orders in detail. If I could trust the AI to do the right thing, I would simply say "go there". Real-time type games don't let the individual units do more than act as rather stupid puppets. Any thoughts?