Biltong's Campaign Rules

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

Hey,

Now that I think of it: maybe the way I play (realistic play rules) is the reason why I hate fighting in towns. VERY tough.

:mad:

AND let me add one thing: watch the movie from view 1, view 2 max, AND follow the action with one of your units, one best representing the action.

THEN, you'll start feeling for your units and be a better CO.

:D

Playing with big units and Bird-view not only is unrealistic but it makes for considering those little things on the battle field as little ants, nor troops. You could not even hear the screams of pain! (and loose lots of realistic sights and sounds like the bullets provoking burst of dust on the ground or buzzing off metal and the grunts of your men).

Originally posted by History Buff:

No we have CM:AK, yep 8 mths left to get CMBB done. :(

Biltong - Advice, delegate people to work on 6 mth blocks and go for it. :D Of coure your the boss....

Hmmm... I've been thinking about it... :confused:

I comitted to CMBB till 45 or until CM3 comes out - whichever is first, but CMAK wasn't expected???

To change the rules all the way, is not a big deal... won't take too long. What is taking l.o.n.g is the Special Battle Packs.. esp. with the bloody war dragging everyone off to their TV's.

I can do with help there - and lot's of it. If I can get 3 or 4 more guys to each take on a battle pack, well get BCR SOUTH done in 8 months (I hope).

As for BCR North & Centre? This should be thrown open, I think.

I would like to do a BCR CMAK version from the German pov in North Africa only. I think I'll open up Cicily and Italy for other 'coders'.

So - Summary:

Need Special Battle Pack makers for BCR South from 43 onwards

Need BCR research/rules modifiers for BCR Central & North.

Any takers?

Originally posted by Biltong:

Cicily and Italy

Biltong, if you were a French occupying SICILY during the "Vespri Siciliani" - the popular uprising against the bloody french invaders happened during Easter celebrations in march 1282 - you would be dead with your guts running out your opened belly.

The way Sicilian fighters were distinguishing the fleeding french soldiers disguised as locals was to ask them to pronounce "Ciceri" - chick peas - . As soon a the poor bastard was pronouncing the word as "Siseri" - the way a french would say "Ciceri" - he was busy holding his guts from falling on the ground.

So, your "Cicily" - although in a reversed way - would still have you clearly identified as "Auslander" and get you busy with keeping your guts from spreading all over the place.

I am sure you appreciate the story.

[ April 06, 2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Biltong:

Cicily and Italy

Biltong, if you were a French occupying SICILY during the "Vespri Siciliani" - the popular uprising against the bloody french invaders happened during Easter celebrations in march 1282 - you would be dead with your guts running out your opened belly.

The way Sicilian fighters were distinguishing the fleeding french soldiers disguised as locals was to ask them to pronounce "Ciceri" - chick peas - . As soon a the poor bastard was pronouncing the word as "Siseri" - the way a french would say "Ciceri" - he was busy holding his guts from falling on the ground.

So, your "Cicily" - although in a reversed way - would still have you clearly identified as "Auslander" and get you busy with keeping your guts from spreading all over the place.

I am sure you appreciate the story. </font>

Originally posted by Biltong:

Cincerect appologies to all Sisilians out there - we here in Couth Afrisa cusk when it somec to cpelling.

Love the story...

'Invaders' trying to hold their guts in... Hmmm smile.gif

I didn't say anything

LOL

BTW, *those* were truly invaders, looting, sackaging and plundering and humiliating daily the local people in their marches.

VERY peaceful marching frenchies. ;)

The revolt came at a marriage celebration where a french patrol officer made irruption into the party and started *palpating* the bride with the excuse of performing a routine perquisition.

[ April 06, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Seahawk-vfa201 ]

3 quetions

1 - how long does it take you guys to roll up a battle?

2 - what is provisional force size for? im still not sure how to calculate it?

3 - i prefer smaller units battles. can i keep the battles under 1000 points or if i go against the rules will it mess things up later on?

Recently i started Biltongs 41 Campaign, but i've been having problems to properly set the size of platoons after the battles adjusts.

After the first two battles i had to immediate assault/attack, but after emergency reorganizing them, when selecting the units for the next QB i can't remove just one single squad from a platoon.

Isn't supposed that i can myself recombine my squads (without normal reinforcements) so that i have them full in emergency reorganization? How do i then fine tune my force composition in the next QB? It happens even if i choose all "Unrestricted" and Allow Human options...

Any help with this? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks alot !! :confused:

Originally posted by Guillem:

After the first two battles i had to immediate assault/attack, but after emergency reorganizing them, when selecting the units for the next QB i can't remove just one single squad from a platoon.

If you must purchase a unit that is depleted from emergency reorgs because it is part of a larger platoon, go ahead and purchase it. Then on turn 1, move the unit off the edge of the map and do not allow him to take part in the battle.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Speaking of emergency reorgs, I just ran into a surprising result when calculating experience after an emergency reorg. I have my excel spreadsheet programmed with the formula to make it easy to calculate After Replacement experience depending on the number of casualties and the experience of the unit and replacements. (I highly recommend this for those of you who have excel.)

So I had a 10-person squad with 1 casualty. His experience after battle was 21. I grabbed a replacement from a squad with an experience of 22. When I applied the formula, the After Replacement experience was 20.66. Why would After Replacement experience be lower than both the original unit and the replacements? Am I applying the formula wrong? Is this intentional?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

from the good doctor:

So I had a 10-person squad with 1 casualty. His experience after battle was 21. I grabbed a replacement from a squad with an experience of 22. When I applied the formula, the After Replacement experience was 20.66. Why would After Replacement experience be lower than both the original unit and the replacements? Am I applying the formula wrong? Is this intentional?
Remember to divide the incoming unit's experience by 1.25. Then add to the group and divide by its number (in this case: 10).

thus you have: 22/1.25 = 17.6

21 * 9 = 189 + 17.6 = 206.6

206.6 / 10 troops = 20.66, round up to 21.

While I've got your attention....

I'm wondering if my overall experiences with BCR are in line with others'. I am on my 11th battle and it's July 17th, 1941. I find that most of my "battles" are just like shooting fish in a barrel. The Soviets are almost always unfit conscripts with very low ammo. While they often have a point advantage over me, I have been able to deal with most battles by parking a tank or MG near the enemy and watching them fall. The worst outcome I've had so far is a Major Victory and most are Total Victories. I've yet to deal with any Allied probes, attacks or assaults. In my last game (a meeting engagement), I put more effort into making sure that each of my squads got at least one kill than worrying about holding the objective.

I see from the modifiers that my luck will change as time goes on and some of my advantageous modifiers go away. However, due to the number of total victories and my generally low casualties, I have rolled lots of immediate assaults. Therefore, the date hasn't progressed very quickly.

Is this typical? How will my confrontations change as the date-specific modifiers change? Is there anything else that I should change in order to make things more challenging? (I've already been upgraded from Green to Regular as a player.)

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

Originally posted by j0ker:

from the good doctor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> So I had a 10-person squad with 1 casualty. His experience after battle was 21. I grabbed a replacement from a squad with an experience of 22. When I applied the formula, the After Replacement experience was 20.66. Why would After Replacement experience be lower than both the original unit and the replacements? Am I applying the formula wrong? Is this intentional?

Remember to divide the incoming unit's experience by 1.25. Then add to the group and divide by its number (in this case: 10).

thus you have: 22/1.25 = 17.6

21 * 9 = 189 + 17.6 = 206.6

206.6 / 10 troops = 20.66, round up to 21. </font>

Biltong- I can do a few QB maps for whatever year(s) you need. My email is in my profile, just let me know what you need.

Also-

Is any type of update planned for Biltaid (or it's ilk)? This type of tool is a necessity for folks like me whose lives are already so full of piles of paperwork that they want a little help...

Maybe something a little more open ended, where the parameters can be set for any year of the war, and any type of nationality/force? Historical maps could correlate to dates that could act as triggers for that particular locale.

I know not a thing about programing, so this is a plea to those that do. I DO think many more people would play BCR with something automated like this. Here's hoping...

Originally posted by benpark:

Is any type of update planned for Biltaid (or it's ilk)? This type of tool is a necessity for folks like me whose lives are already so full of piles of paperwork that they want a little help...

Maybe something a little more open ended, where the parameters can be set for any year of the war, and any type of nationality/force? Historical maps could correlate to dates that could act as triggers for that particular locale.

Peterk sent me the source for BiltAid. I am looking at it - in the little spare time I have now - . I'd like to update rules and possibly extend it as well.

Please, do not ask me when though as I have little idea myself :-}

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

...So the question remains, what is the justification for the 1.25 denominator in the equation for the replacement troops? Is it so traumatic to be assigned to a new unit even for veteran (or near veteran) troops?

This is deliberate: A team, whether in sport or war, takes time to 'gel'.. to get to know each others weaknesses and strengths...How to work together,what to expect from each other - who will do what in a specific situatoin, etc. etc.... Bringing in replacements gives the team's cohesion a knock and the more replacements there are the bigger the knock. An analogy will be making up a team of the best players in the world in any team sport of your choice - quite often they will be beaten by a 3rd rate team who has been playing together for a long time.

Hence the 'weird' modifiers ;)

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

...I'm wondering if my overall experiences with BCR are in line with others'. I am on my 11th battle and it's July 17th, 1941. I find that most of my "battles" are just like shooting fish in a barrel. The Soviets are almost always unfit conscripts with very low ammo. While they often have a point advantage over me, I have been able to deal with most battles by parking a tank or MG near the enemy and watching them fall. The worst outcome I've had so far is a Major Victory and most are Total Victories. I've yet to deal with any Allied probes, attacks or assaults. In my last game (a meeting engagement), I put more effort into making sure that each of my squads got at least one kill than worrying about holding the objective.

I see from the modifiers that my luck will change as time goes on and some of my advantageous modifiers go away. However, due to the number of total victories and my generally low casualties, I have rolled lots of immediate assaults. Therefore, the date hasn't progressed very quickly.

Is this typical? How will my confrontations change as the date-specific modifiers change? Is there anything else that I should change in order to make things more challenging? (I've already been upgraded from Green to Regular as a player.)

I think you're one of those rare individuals who underestimated your abilities ;)

Stick to the rules and if you win another (no 12) upgrade to vet.

The Germans had a very easy go during the 1st 2 months or so. The Russians were disorganised, out of ammo, transport, motivation, info, leadership - you name it. The Germans also advanced very rapidly and had contacts on a regular basis, so your continuous battles are quite historical. Once the resistans increases, the breaks between battles will also increase.

As for experience: I imagine a large number of German CO's and troops considered themselves veterans after the 1st couple of months, but once the Soviets started turning around and fighting, they might have noticed that things were not so easy anymore - I think you'll find the same thing happening to you.

Use this time to build up favor and experience - you'll need it later on. It's a good time to experiment and get your tactics pat for the winter.

If you want you can set the computer experience to +1 for the next couple of battles - just to spice things up a bit, but I think it would be better to try slightly riskier tactics now, while you can... later you won't be able to experiment.

Originally posted by Laffertytig:

does the 42 campaign run through till the end of the war or is there another set of rules to be released?

No - at the moment 42 only runs till +- June 42. There will be another update at some time in the near future to adapt 42 for the whole of 42. I use HistoryBuff as a marker - AFAIK, he's way out front of everyone else (somewhere around April 42) and I adapt the rules when he gets close to the next marker - in this case an armor/force upgrade that is scheduled for +-July 42.

Each year will have slightly more complex/realistic rules and obviously the force will change from year to year, as the armor changes from PzIII's to the evntual King Tigers ;)

I'm also waiting to see what the patch will bring - if we'll be able to go the scenario editor route - i.e.: set names/experience/ammo for each squad/team/HQ on the Battle group.

Originally posted by Laffertytig:

3 quetions

1 - how long does it take you guys to roll up a battle?

2 - what is provisional force size for? im still not sure how to calculate it?

3 - i prefer smaller units battles. can i keep the battles under 1000 points or if i go against the rules will it mess things up later on?

1. Once you've rolled up a couple of battles it should'nt take you longer than say, 15 minutes to manually roll up the parameters only. To work out experience and favor will depend a lot on previous batle size. Selecting your Task Force, will depend how fanatical you are - if you want to make sure you get the maximum bang per buck (like me) ;)

For me it's half the fun - seeing what happened in the previous battle - who killed what & how many.. where did I make mistakes and which tactics worked well... what the units new experience is, what Attached units I get and what the new Task force is... all part of the whole experience.

Some guys see all of this as red tape - a pain, BCR isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think you need to be a bit of a fanatic ;)

2. Download the latest Player Guide 2.3? - it has a full description of Force Size and how to calculate it.

3. No - it won't - If you roll up a battle that is too large for your taste - use a percentage modifier to reduce all your task force points equally until you get to a force size that you are happy with.

[ April 09, 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Biltong ]

Originally posted by benpark:

Biltong- I can do a few QB maps for whatever year(s) you need. My email is in my profile, just let me know what you need.

Hi Benpark - Thanx for the offer. What about South 43 (post Stalingrad)? - have a look at what battles were important in that year. I'll mail you the latest Map Makers Suggestions - there's a whole section on Battle Packs. T'morrow - I'm off to bed ;)