Great Campaign for both CMBB and CMAK

Many of you have probably seen this before, but for newcomers (and the people who have been asleep for over a year) I thought I'd mention the campaign system developed by RobO:

RobO's Quick Campaign

It may look a bit complicated, but it's really very easy. After two battles, the paperwork takes about 5-10mins and then you are ready to go again.

If anybody has played a long campaign with this system, I'd love to hear their opinions and thoughts on it. I'm on my 15th battle now and loving it.

Regards,

Alech

[ July 07, 2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Alech ]

Real life makes it a slow process, but I have taken an auklarungs unit of roughly 3 companies (not always together) from June 22, 1941 to February of 43, so far. I do not use the 1 battle per month system, I have my own charts for a lot of things, and I make a check on each day of the war for a possible battle.

I have typically fought around 7-12 battles each month.

I also only play against the AI by Franko's True Combat rules, so its actually challenging. In addition, replacements are hard to come by in my little universe, so my unit, as well as the Soviets (I have my wife enter a number of things based on tables I created and how much intelligence I have about any given scenario so I won't know anything I shouldn't) are typically well short of full establishment. Thats my biggest pet peeve with so many scenario's. I can buy that the troops are usually fit, but they are almost always "full" for casualty level, and no unit thats been in the field for more than about 15 minutes is going to be full strength.

Anyway, the journey is great fun. I have agonized over the loss of leaders that have been with me for a long time, but such are the fortunes of war. So whether you use ROQC right out of the box, or modify it, as I do, its a great tool.

That's interesting, Vergeltungswaffe. ROQC is meant to be customizable, as is (was?) BCR.

My initial reaction was that with so many battles per month you troops would be veteran or crack a long time ago, but I guess the casualties and replacements take care of that. Did you change the experience system as well?

Robert,

I toned down the exp gain a bit, but casualties run at a fairly realistic percentage when you play by FTC, so you don't get nearly as many 98-2 rollovers with 3 casualties, because you don't have the omniscience factor going. (and I have played these games since shortly after BO came out, so the AI is no challenge at all without FTC)

I do have a few very high quality units, but the replacements tend to stay green to regular, as in real life units, as they tend to suffer more in combat. Plus my replacements are weighted towards being green, though returning experienced veterans are still possible. All geared towards my opinion of realism and making sure it is "hard" so the fun factor is maximized.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Vergeltungswaffe, in ROQC I added rules allowing you to transfer men from experienced units to inexperienced ones before replacement, to give the new units a higher experience than that of the replacements. Do you use that, and if not, why not?

I once got to about 50% casualties in the dead of winter, '41, after 4 days in a row of attacking, and I did use the experienced troops to form the cadre of several replacement squads that were rebuilt over time, but other than that dangerously close to ineffective situation, I have not done any transfers. It just doesn't feel "right" to me under normal circumstances.

I took the DAK campaign for CMAK I fought 5 battles, but I lost the last one very bad to Matildas so it is over now. The other 4 battles were very successful though and I was promoted to Oberleutnant.

It is a very well thought out campaign. I think I will do the PanzerIV campaign for CMBB.

I suggest everyone to try it. However do your best to keep your units alive if you want to survive on the long term. Especially if you have az armor platoon.

Artur.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Vergeltungswaffe, in ROQC I added rules allowing you to transfer men from experienced units to inexperienced ones before replacement, to give the new units a higher experience than that of the replacements. Do you use that, and if not, why not?

As far as I know that was quite common to fill the depleted units with gree troops and spread all veterans among them. This way it was possible to give them proper leadership and training. The new guys could learn from the veterans.

Originally posted by sztartur:

However do your best to keep your units alive if you want to survive on the long term. Especially if you have az armor platoon.

Artur.

Good advice.

I once took a StuG platoon from Barbarossa onwards. Around battle 10 they encounteded a KV1 and was killed all three of them - mainly due to my incompetence. I should have held them back or pulled out.

When I encountered one Matilda with all my PzIII platoon from behind or from the side I was still wiped out smile.gif . Unless you have ATGs you should leave the field and fight another day.

An SS StuG Platoon is cool smile.gif . Do you yhink this would be viable with 9 or 10 StuGs? Maybe you could start with 3 then expand your core to a company as you lift in rank.

What do you think?

You would find it difficult to get enough Favor to expand from 3 StuGs to 9 or 10. But you could always tweak the rules and donate yourself some extra StuGs when you rise sufficiently in Rank.

But I don't think they were often used in company strength in a battle at the scale of CM. I could be wrong. In any case, you'd get some pretty large battles, but that may be fine with you.

I started with the campaign, but quickly run into trouble. I have finished my first battle and kept record of kills/killings, but how can I continue?

I am trying to delete the support-force to go on with my core force. Which file do I have to open in the editor? the autosave and my personal savefile from the end of the game don't load any troups. what am I doing wrong?

farmerch, you're doing something awfully wrong, that's for sure. Let me make a guess.

You're probably talking about the .cme file, not the spreadsheet, since the support force does not belong in the spreadsheet.

You need to have two .cme files. One for the core force, which is updated after each battle to reflect changs in experience and core force changes. And one for each battle which is copied from the core force .cme file. The latter (battle) .cme file doesn't contain your support force either, but it's possible you misunderstood something here. So, the process is:

0. Create for core force file by buying the core force. Let's call this core.cme

1. Copy core.cme to (e.g.) battle.cme - the .cme file for the first battle. Or open core.cme in the editor and save it under a new name.

2. Edit battle.cme to prepare the current battle (parameters, map, exploiting units etc.) and to remove any incomplete core force units.

4. Start a new QB and import battle.cme instead of generating a map.

5. Play the battle. It's a good idea to save the end game file in case you need to look some info up again.

6. Use the info from the battle to update core.cme (experience, core force changes).

7. Go to 1. for the next battle.

If that didn't help then you need to send me the spreadsheet(s) and .cme file(s) you are using.