Shifting trees and morphed tanks

I've been playing PBEM games, and using some mods for terrain, and sometimes when I load the next file from my opponent, I find that some trees (usually in Scattered Trees) have shifted position, so that the unit I thought was hiding behind a tree is several yards to the left or right of the tree. The unit is still in Scattered Trees, but I find it troubling...is this a bug that might exist in some of these terrain mods? Or the program itself?

Also, I've noticed a couple of times, when tanks get close to one another, or cross paths, they "morph" into each other briefly. Not the greatest looking effect...

That's normal for a tree to show up here or there each time you reload a map. The key thing to remember is that that whole area is full of trees, though the game is coded to show only a few actual trees sticking up out of the ground, and it seems to do this in random places.

That problem with the AFV's is what I believe is what is know as collision detection, which could be improved on in the CM games, to say the least.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article736.asp

Grant it I could be wrong on the AFV problem.

Yeah, I gave the tree-planting command --- on foxholes or shellholes, to avoid digging. But unfortunately, the scenario was at dusk, so there was little sunlight, and the damn things took so long to grow. I tried to use the flamethrower as a source of light, but this didn't work so well.

Originally posted by Wicky:

but be careful not to over do it as they will eventually use axes to deforest the landscape.

Treebeard will be right pissed if that were to happen. The last thing you want in the middle of a pbem is to have the Ents emerge out of the forest to step on your men.

The terrain that can be seen is only a representation of what the game actually uses. When you have your waypoint, the actual terrain that the unit will be in is displayed...you know I've seen it a million times but I'm not sure if it's under the mouse or on the status panel.

Anyway, place your units that way. And tanks on zero magnification won't go through each other.