Sidi Rezegh Help Needed

Everything I've seen indicates a large-ish rectangle (the runway, that is, not the entire facility). I'll have a rummage when I get home tonight and get back to you.

Edit: Just to make sure I dig out the right stuff, which day in November were you thinking of? ;)

[ July 15, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

FWIW I checked my books and the airfield itself is marked with a rectangle on all the maps, but unfortunatley I have no pictures to confirm whether it actually was a rectangle.

BTW Rune, it's great that not only are we lucky enough to be getting Sidi Rezegh scenarios, but I am now happily convinced that the South Africans are in CMAK as they and the NZ'ers did most of the infantry fighting ;)

speaking of the New Zealanders'in North Africa/Italy...we need more NZ voice samples sent to Madmatt! If not, there is a distinct possibility of all NZ soldiers' speaking in a generic 'Down under' accent with the Aussie twang dominating. This travisty must be averted at all costs;) Despite the general perception that the accents all sounds the same, this is so far removed from the truth it isn't funny.

Kiwi lurkers on this board, get a mail off to Madmatt and offer your vocal services to help ensure we hear our 'flat, bastardised version of the Queen's English' in there.

Help Rune with the maps too.

David

So far I have been able to find any representations or even photos either. All the maps I have just have a generic "airfield" designation on them. Since it is an all weather field It would definitly have hard runways but no clue as to what it actually looked like. I'll keep looking though.

Technically, they should have both Maori and Pakeha (NZers of European descent) voices. However, since I doubt BTF will differentiate sounds for different battalions, I don't think it's fair to only have Maori voices. Unfortunately NZ is my adopted home, and I don't really have the NZ accent.

BTW - Having spent a bit of time in both countries, I'd rather here "fush'n'chups" than "feeeeeeeeeesh'n'cheeeeeeeeeeps". Australians remind me of Ren from Ren'n'Stimpy (Steeeeeempy) when they talk.

[ July 16, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: v42below ]

Rune

In "Desert Rats at War: North Africa" by George Forty, there is a two page photograph (Pages 92/93) captioned "wrecked Italian fighter on the airfield at Sidi Rezegh"

The impression given in the photo is of a large flat area, rectangular or otherwise is difficult to determine.

The book is too big to easily scan.

Plenty of references to, but no descriptions of, that fateful airfield.

I just spent nearly an hour googling for pics of the airfield (I want to help Rune but I'm also now intrigued :rolleyes: ) and have a couple of units near or of the aftermath of the battle, but again nothing of the airfield itself so far.

Don't let that put other Googlers off because my skills aren't particularly brilliant so I have probably missed loads. I can say the area looks like utter hell on earth :( a flat and desolate wasteland littered with hundreds of bodies and burning vehicles.

[ July 18, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Rex Bellator ]

I am stubbornly clinging to my notion that it was a landing ground with no paved runways. It was all-weather only as long as the weather was good...which it was most of the time in the desert. That is, it was good if you like heat, dust, and flies.

Now if someone can come up with definite proof that I am wrong, I will change my tune. But until then I'm standing pat.

smile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Then again one of the advantages the Luftwaffe had over the Allied air forces was that they possessed the only real all weather runways. While Allied airfields were a quagmire after even a short shower they Germans could keep on flying.

I've heard of that in Tunisia in late 1942, and it may have also been true of the airfields south of Benghazi. I am very sceptical of there being any east of Benghazi until you get to the Nile delta, and even there they were the exception and not the rule.

Michael

Originally posted by Rex Bellator:

FWIW I checked my books and the airfield itself is marked with a rectangle on all the maps, but unfortunatley I have no pictures to confirm whether it actually was a rectangle.

BTW Rune, it's great that not only are we lucky enough to be getting Sidi Rezegh scenarios, but I am now happily convinced that the South Africans are in CMAK as they and the NZ'ers did most of the infantry fighting ;)

Really? According to whom?

I think you have to be careful about periods. At various times British, Indian, Australian, South African and Kiwis contributed large proportions of the infantry units involved in North Africa. To claim one nation's contribution was greater than another is a difficult one fraught with possible errors.

Whoa easy there Bluebottle, I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to say that at Sidi Rezegh the SA and NZ Divisions did most of the infantry fighting smile.gif Getting the South Africans and some kind of Indian unit type into CMAK is a pet project/whine of mine.

BTW you wouldn't happen to be a fan of The Goons would you?

I'd concure with Mike emrys.

Looks like pics of the strip are rare as hens teeth, so are actual discriptions.

I do recall reading a comment that the strip was small compared to the one at El Adem futher west, thou for the life of me can't remember the book..

So I say the Sidi Rezegh airstrip is just that, a flat rolled strip. I can't imagine pre-war Italy spending up on concrete airstrips in the middle of nowhere, perhaps Benghazi? or some other coastal town, and that photo of the wrecked FiatG50 on it in George Forty's 'Desert Rats at War' doesn't look like its resting on concrete.

Another pic on p35 in 'Armour camoflage & markings North Africa 1940-1943' by G Bradford show several destroyed PzIII's at Sidi Rezegh, the Terrain is absolutely flat so it must be close and not near the ridges to the north and south. smile.gif

Originally posted by Rex Bellator:

Getting the South Africans and some kind of Indian unit type into CMAK is a pet project/whine of mine.[/QB]

Your crusade for South African forces in CMAK is noteworthy! smile.gif

[ July 19, 2003, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Well if you can wait until next Saturday I'll pop into the PRO to see what they have - closed on Sundays.

WO 201/719 looks promising for a start: This is Operation BOOTJACK which is described as plans to seize an aerodrome in the enemy's rear by a brigade group.

It's probably not Sidi Rezegh but it's a start and it might make for a very good semi-historical scenario.

And then there's AIR 23/1181 Op CRUSADER Air Ops 18 Nov - 12 Dec which may well do it.

Of course recruitment as a CMAK play tester would be a powerful motivator for me. My wife hates me going to the PRO. ;)

[ July 20, 2003, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Determinant ]