Scenario Packs are GOOD

Guys just my opinions here.

Wouldn't this debate be solved if the Scenario Depot (as an example now) had the option to zip all the scenarios you select into a pack and then send them to you as one big zip file?

What I find annoying is having 20 scenarios lying around.

I play Tribes2 and the greatest map place for tribes2 does just that. It lets you select maps and then zips them into 1 file before sending them to you.

Otherwise, if this isn't a solution. I would add that I love scenario packs and support that. If the guy doesn't want to add his scenario to a pack, fine be that way. But don't condemn packs just for that. Packs are great as I find it totally booring to scan for scenarios for 30 minutes. That's 30 minutes I could have spent doing whatever.

[ January 13, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]

Originally posted by yapma:

note to certain scenario designers:

you aren't rock stars and you aren't artists, and you grossly overestimate the importance of your designs.

get a grip.

You reap the benefit of someone else's talent, time, and hard work for free. Pissing off the people who contribute something worthwhile to this community is never a bright idea.

Please do us all a favor and keep your insulting remarks to yourself.

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

Please send me the URL of this site. I would like to see what methods they are using to achieve this.

Sure thing, here it is:

http://www.tribes2maps.com

Here's a direct link to get you to start selecting maps from the CTF maps. You click "Add to custom map pack to add it"

http://www.tribes2maps.com/cgi-bin/map_search.cgi?type=ctf

[ January 13, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: hardcampa ]

This is a real nice site! (tribes2maps.com)

Is this great or what:

===========================

Map of the Week Pack

I've had a number of people ask me to make a map pack which includes every map we've awarded "Map of the Week" status to since the site launched. I thought this was a good idea, so here it is: Tribes2Maps.com-MapOfTheWeekPack.zip - This file is updated every week when we choose the new Map of the Week.

Monthly Map Packs

All maps submitted to Tribes2Maps.com are available in zip files, organizes by CTF/Non-CTF/Client Side/Server Side. These 4 zip files are created each month. To keep our bandwidth usage and charges low, please only download the ones you actually need! Click here for the list.

===========================

;)

(Tosses grenade into room. Ducks.)

Glad to see some activity on this subject.

I did not know about the search feature at the Scenario Depot. I will see how useful it is. (Ie, are all the fields for each scenario already input, or is it haphazard?)

The Tribes2 method is exactly what I alluded to in my earlier post. Let me scan through scenarios(or ops), put a check-mark in a box, and then when I'm done, all those get downloaded.

This would make downloading MUCH easier and would not put a designer's creation in a pre-made PACK.

Specifically for Michael Dorosh: You have stated you do not want any of your designs in a pack because you would not get feedback. Do you oppose allowing someone to select one of your designs as part of a multi-battle download?

Thanks,

Ken

c3k - the idea of zipping up stuff (sort of like a shopping cart) is a terrific one.

I gave my scenarios to Admiral Keth no strings attached; it is his site and what he does with it is his business. I have no objections to what he does with my stuff, since I gave my scenarios to him on the understanding that I trust his judgement. He's proven himself to be sympathetic to both players and designers, and certainly more than worthy to be the keeper of the keys, as it were. Personally, I would like it if there was some way that a scenario being added to someone's "shopping basket" zip file would be counted in the download stats. If not, then I would recommend removing the download stats from the site permanently as they would be rather meaningless if they didn't include stuff zipped into multiple downloads. I wouldn't be terribly happy about that, but it would be the best compromise since I can understand those with low bandwidth download capabilities are hamstrung by the current setup.

It's a terrific idea, one one that I hope works out.

While we're at it, Admiral, here's another suggestion.

How about an average overall score, per designer, based on all submitted battles/operations (two seperate scores), to be displayed by the designer's name, perhaps in the "other battles by this author" box? Would be an interesting stat in itself.

I have an Excel file with all of the scenarios listed in the zip packs as well as all those listed on the SD site to date - identified as to type.

This weekend I'm going to add some detail about points, size, etc. and send it to SD - I hope they will post it for others. It will never be complete as new scenarios are uploaded all the time. But at least players will have a list they can use and add to themselves.

I find the list useful when trying to find a game to play with others. It's easier and faster than scrolling through the game screens.

I also have an Excel file with all the hotkeys on it, I will also send to them. Or would this be better as a PDF?

Oh yes, I have my own scenario to add to the list too... should be about ready to upload this weekend.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

While we're at it, Admiral, here's another suggestion.

How about an average overall score, per designer, based on all submitted battles/operations (two seperate scores), to be displayed by the designer's name, perhaps in the "other battles by this author" box? Would be an interesting stat in itself.

Not a bad idea, and even doable once I get another field built out in the database this weekend. It might need to be it's own seperate page on The Lists (Battles/Operations/Maps/Authors) so that the calcs don't bog down or immobilize the system.

Originally posted by ichadwick:

I put the Excel files at:

Ian's CMBB page

Free to use, update and distribute.

I also put my beta-version of the Carpathian Pass scenario for playtesters.

Thanks ichadwick, this is exactly what I was suggesting when this whole mess started. Now, a suggestion for the Admiral, make his database exportable into an excel spreadsheet (or a tab or CSV file) so that this information stays current. Let the visitor pick a few search parameters (CMBO/CMBB, Battle's or Op's or all of the above) and then a link is provided that will query the database for all records matching the criteria and then export it to a temporary file for download. I've used this method of some of my clients websites for their information and can assist if needed with the implementation.

Originally posted by yapma:

note to certain scenario designers:

you aren't rock stars and you aren't artists, and you grossly overestimate the importance of your designs.

Well, outside our small community, their efforts may be unappreciated and wholly useless but I have to say that the design process is largely "art". Man, oh man, if you've been involved in playtesting, you'd realize how much art is involved in what these guys do. In fact, aside from the serious research involved, the entire process is art. I've noted that many of the designers produce scenarios that so reflect the qualities and skills brought to the table by the designer, that the author can be identified simply by playing their scenario.

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

The Scenario Depot uses PHP/MySQL/Javascript.

Just curious, as I've been discussing the subject with a few web designer friends of mine: do you feel ColdFusion offers anything that can't be handled by PHP/MySQL/JS, except for providing certain shortcuts?

Ahhh, the joy of a proud popa, looking upon the thread I have spawned. smile.gif

Do not thank me.

I stand upon the balcony, like Mussolini, basking in your adulation and the cheers of the throng. It is enough.

Seriously, it looks like a lot of good ideas are coming together to help make the designer's scenarios more accessible.

The primary sites I know of are (in no particular order), The Scenario Depot, Boots & Tracks, and Der Kessel. Are there other good sites out there? Is it possible to get input from each site into the excel spreadsheet discussed above? (With links/ownership as a field.)

Again, a warm "Thank You" to all the folks putting in their time, effort, and expertise into this.

Ken