More about that T-34 color

This was a duplicate post, I decided to make it useful.

This tank, at the war memorial in Berlin, seems yellowish, not bluish...

000000001469__800x531.jpg

here is what seems to be a related tank to MikeD's mod, but the blue-green seems more green in their picture:

t34_25.jpg

and this "gallery" shows various tanks in ALL sorts of greens

is there no "definitive" green? I read, on this board, that the default olive is not as authentic as it could be...

Zimorodok

[ October 09, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Zimorodok ]

Zimorodok, no, there is no default green smile.gif

I actually have a translated Russian book here on camo and colouring during WW2 and to be honest I havnt yet seen a mod that uses what they describe as the 'standard' colour. It seems that the standard colour is actually a very dark green which almost looks black. If you start looking at WW2 photos of Russian tanks you can seen how this might be the case as they usually appear very very dark (though of course its hard to tell in B&W). It then goes on to say that there was variation due to different quality and mixes of paint, different factories producing it, etc.

The reason I didnt do this and went for the lighter colour is that as CM is current 16 bit these dark textures looked pixelated. So as an alternitive the colour I used was taken off of the *only* descent quality colour photo I could find of Russian vehicles (T-34's).

Btw, just for the record according to this book I have here the Russians almost never used camo, which is why I included none smile.gif . It was used on and off until, IIRC, mid 42 at which point it would no longer allowed (In fact it has a translation of the origional Russian documents stating as much).

Dan

[ October 09, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Hey Dan, do you have a picture or even an RGB of that "authentic" color? (or a link, or even a comparison, like "matches english cucumbers" or somefink) ;)

I'd gladly paint my mods a darker green if that's what's authentic. All of the olive sometimes makes me think I'm still playing against the Americans in CMBO. On the other hand, it makes it very easy for modders like me to reverse-engineer your .bmps or camo them. I've had a b*tch of a time with trying to "take off" camo for the german vehicles, but the sovs have been easy, they're all solid color green.

I had noticed that, when the color gets darker on the tanks, pixilation does occur on the details when you view the tanks from a distance. Anything lighter tends to get shifted to white and you get a white pixel. :mad:

I was working on matching MikeD's T-34 mod and had that issue. I think I fixed it, mostly. If you want, see the image in this thread.

Zimorodok

Why not? One would think camo was useful?
My guess is that the Army thought it was good, but the Gov't didn't like *any* variation unless it was uniformly applied. At that point, the variation becomes the national standard.

Actually, I imagine that Soviet doctrine would not allow for much variation of *anything*.

Anyone have any further info?

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

It seems that the standard colour is actually a very dark green which almost looks black.

I think there's been a suggestion amongst AFV modellers to use the Luftwaffe Dunkelgrun as a good representative of the Soviet AFV green.

Mace

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KwazyDog:

It seems that the standard colour is actually a very dark green which almost looks black.

I think there's been a suggestion amongst AFV modellers to use the Luftwaffe Dunkelgrun as a good representative of the Soviet AFV green.

Mace </font>

Zimorodok, I do like the color you selected for your dark green Russian tank set from your other thread, (and not just because you were trying to match my colors!) ;)

Does anyone still have that link to the perfectly preserved KV-1 tank that was pulled from river earlier this year? In the pictures you can see under the mud is a very muted medium-dark grey-green. Not cucumber green or pea green or khaki.

It would almost be appropriate for you to drop the color saturation by half again on your tanks to match it, except the entire CM landscape would need the same saturation reduction as well! There's 'real world' colors, then there's 'CM world' colors :D