Short Range Infantry Combat and the Axis Dilema

Hi there-

So I did a few searches and it appears there's been no discussion on how Axis infantry can effectively deal with short range (less than 100m) infantry combat against Allied infantry.

If so, I would greatly appreciate any links.

Obviously, the Allied short range firepower is a item that must be heeded.

I've found at times Axis units getting surprised (EFOW is not fun if your on the receiveing end), by Allied inf, and before anyone can say "Was den?" (that's German for "Eh?"), they're at 50% casualties or worse, and yes, they're off to momma real quick like. Can't really blame them, can you?

Was there any historical SOP's used by Axis units caught with their "pants down" so to speak?

Are there *any* tips/tricks that can be used to extend a unit's lifespan should they find themselves up against high firepower Allied infantry at short range?

Or, should said situation present itself, should one resign to the fact they're that unit is pretty much a goner?

Can't say much to help you, but it might be interesting to note that from 1944 the Soviets commenced almost half of their attacks at night. The slogan, "We own the night," was most likely first uttered in Russian way back in 1944.

Red Army short-range firepower is truely brutal. If you end up against a Soviet armor force, then it's a good bet they're also packing lots of tommy gunners. My only suggestion is to think 360 defense.

Don't get them there in the first place!!

Be careful about deployment and movement - if you put a rifle-armed unit into a wood where vis is only 30m then they are never going to fight EXCEPT at short range, so use your own SMG-heavy units there instead.

Use rifle units where they CAN use their longer range.

Use your MG's at longer ranges too - MG42 and 34 MMG's slow down infantry assaults a treat even at moderate and long ranges.

Fight a long range tank battle instead of a short range infantry one - use your infantry to protect your tanks rather than vice versa.

In short don't play to hte other guy's advantages - play to your own - make him fight you where YOU are strong!

Two words. Recon C. 64 ammo points

A bn of of these and a SMG company work together well.

Most late war Axis squads have low ammo levels, due to lots of SMG or 2 LMGs. So, Recon C platoons can be used at range to plink away at them, forcing them (Axis) either to waste precious ammo, or keep their heads down. Once positions are fixed, assualt SMG squads advance in with short range cover arcs. Under smoke cover for that training ground feeling

I think it's best to spot the enemy first with Panzerspähwagen or some other recon-unit.

Sometimes the enemy will reveal his ambush positions when you open fire at suspect spots...(trenchlines, woods...)

I've found at times Axis units getting surprised (EFOW is not fun if your on the receiveing end), by Allied inf, and before anyone can say "Was den?" (that's German for "Eh?"), they're at 50% casualties or worse, and yes, they're off to momma real quick like. Can't really blame them, can you?
Hmmm...if you run your soldiers into enemy lines without providing them with enough firepower to suppress allied soldiers who open fire on your leading elements, then it's true, your soldiers will be blown to bits....but if you leave enough soldiers to "watch" over the advancing ones, they'll still get hit, but not that worse....(especially mortars / heavy machine gun teams are useful for this...)

MFG, Trommelfeuer

[ March 28, 2003, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Trommelfeuer ]

Thanks for the replies.

I'm all good on the offense (w/r/t dealing with allied inf). I have no problem softening things accordingly before sweeping over the objective.

The problem I get is on defense in low light, woods, or built up areas where there is no or little capacity for maintaining range. In these situations, "sneaks up" happen and unless I have 3-1 ratios w/ the units getting attacked, I get walked over.

It would seem that in these situations, effective forward OP's (or screening units) are necessary to spot Allied inf before they get too close for comfort. Maintaining range is key.

Those Russian submachineguns are murder (literally) at close range, but each German squad often has the use of a MG38 or MG42 squad machine gun. That weapon has REALLY saved my bacon more than once when the Russkies start pressing in too close. If for any reason I need/want to split a squad I make a point of noticing which team got the squad mg.

Use veteran platoons, leaders with moral bonus and FLAMETHROWERS. Think Strongpoint rather than Line of battle. That way a few well placed FTs can turn the tide and in built up areas light the enemy occupied buildings, great in other low vis situations also. Protect the Strongpoint with AP mines and barbwire. Use barbwire to force the enemy choose an attackroute YOU want him to. In built up areas pioneers are great. Have a slight russkie problem in the neighborhood ? Area target a pioneer squad to lob some demo charges and the building next door comes tumbling down. Place fallback foxholes behind the buildings you´re in to ensure fast getaway, cover AND a new ambush position. Use covered arcs with Hide to pop up just at the right moment.

Just a few ideas, use at your own risk smile.gif

[ March 28, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: SaTyR ]