Airplanes, Boom booms and Tank HQs

I am currently playing a scenario where my opponant has a massive amount of air support and have noticed that it sems that all the planes are targeting my tank HQs. It wouldn't be true to say 100% of the planes runs are aimed at them but 95% of them are. In this scenario I was given a huge amount of armor and the enemy was given an unbelievable number of planes. I'm not crying because most of my tanks are Panthers and the planes don't seem to be able to even scratch them.....it just seems odd that almost every shot has been at a tank HQ. Is the game designed this way? How would a plane know which tank is the HQ?

it just seems odd that almost every shot has been at a tank HQ. Is the game designed this way? How would a plane know which tank is the HQ?

I ran some tests and, though I hoped otherwise, the problem is NOT fixed in the latest 1.03. There were three platoons of Tigers; crack, regular, and conscript. The Soviet jabos attacked the crack platoon unremittingly, not infrequently pouncing on the HQ first.

I believe the problem is thus: target selection is based, in part, on unit COST. More experienced units are more expensive and the HQ is the priciest vehicle in the platoon.

Some of us pointed this out to BFC months ago but I don't recall a response. This may be hardcoded and therefore unfixable. Definitely a tweak candidate for the Afrika Corps game. From a realism POV, it kinda stinks.

[ May 24, 2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Originally posted by Elvis:

Sorry folks. Didn't know there was another thread. I am glad it was just not my imagination. If my enemy didn't have SO many planes and I didn't have SO many tanks I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Here's the link to the other thread. No need for appleogies - this should tell you what you need to know. Interesting, I think, that the problem relates to all units, including aeroplanes. I'd like to see it ironed out for future CMs.

Link to HQ tank thread

Interesting, I think, that the problem relates to all units, including aeroplanes. I'd like to see it ironed out for future CMs.
Yeah, it's too bad, and they did such a bang up (no pun intended)job with the air element in CMBB.

It makes- some, but not a lot-sense that AFCs would target HQs or even other AFVs with higher quality crews on the ground. But it's hard to imagine a pilot, descending at several hundred MPH on a smoke-filled battlefield, distinguishing a MK3 from a MK4, let alone a HQ tank. We need more randomness here.

[ May 25, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

I am playing elvis

we are both using v1.03c the latest public beta

He has LOTS of Panthers

I having nothing that can touch the panthers except air support

the CAS has not really hurt his panthers AT all (that I can tell anyway)

for the record he has plenty of air support as well.

and yes the CAS almost ALWAYS seems to target the HQ tank units, I would say the choice of target in this regard is not random :(

the game is almost over and I will surely lose in a BIG way

the end score could be as bad as 80 to 20 pts for him :(

but we have never seen so much air support in a scenario it has been interesting

smile.gif

-tom w

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by PeterX:

FWIW, this cheesy problem has not been fixed in the final version of 1.03. Too bad.

Perhaps in future editions BFC can base targetting priorities on the BASE value of a unit before morale or command status is added on.

thanks for the update

-tom w