I'm proud to announce RobO's Quick campaign (ROQC) version 1

Version 1.00 of ROQC is now ready for your pleasure! Get it here :D

Lead your men across the Russian steppes or through the Finnish forests. Up or down the Baltic coast or towards Moscow or Berlin. The choice is yours.

Take a platoon, a company, a mixed force, a battalion or even a single tank. Watch your men fight, learn, gain medals, become casualties, get replaced and - if you're doing well - get rewarded with better equipment.

Your core force can be German, Soviet or Finnish. You can decide what your force will be, but not what the enemy will be. ROQC is designed to adjust to provide the proper level of difficulty for you, so that the games against the AI will be challenging and varied. Some will be easy, some will be very difficult.

The battles you get are generated on the basis of the strategic historical setting at the time and region of the battle. Your job is however to fulfil an operational order that simulates the local situation at regimental level. This usually involves winning in Combat Mission terms, but not always. Different operational orders emphasize different goals. For example, Exploit requires you to exit a mechanized force off the enemy side of the map and Hold requires you to hang on to the victory flags, no matter what.

To be a bit more specific:

In ROQC you take a core force through a series of quick battles against the AI, interspaced with some bookkeeping. Your core force participates in all battles, and is supported by (or supports, if you prefer) varying troops from your side.

This is basically what you will do

1. Pick a nationality, time and place

2. Select (if this is the first battle) or update your core force.

3. Set up and play a quick battle following these rules.

4. Record and process data from the battle

5. Advance the time of the battle and go to 2. Repeat until finished.

That?s all, really. You will be using both the editor and the QB generator, but it?s all explained in detail. Don?t worry; you can accomplish this even if you have never opened the editor before.

There is a spreadsheet that automates pretty much everything, including setting up the sheet for the next battle. Highly recommended. It really makes using ROQC very easy. The spreadsheet is programmed in Excel using VB, which will unfortunately make it unavailable to some potential users. But you can stil use ROQC, as the necessary tables can be printed. It's more tedious without the spreadsheet, but not more tedious than BCR without automation ;)

ROQC Version 1.00 is the result of more than 6 months of development and testing. It is a great product, and I'm proud to release it in the shape it has. Many thanks to the testers - I didn't do it all alone, though I ofc. did drive the process.

At the ROQC website you'll find, besides the campaign itself, updates and add-ons (e.g. more suggested campaigns) and - in time - a list of problems and suggestions.

smile.gif So, go ahead and enjoy smile.gif That's what it's all about, really. I find ROQC both fun and addictive.

To provide a bit of spice I have added an image from my latest campaign, where my core force consists of a single SU122 and starts in January 1943. It shows an artillery top hit, probably from an 81mm mortar. Those tanks are some tough bastards. The crew didn't even budge. Battle03_TopHit2_Cutout.jpg

And finally, for the curious, here's a link to the previous thread discussing the development up to version 1.00

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Downloading... smile.gif

Robert, thank you!

You're welcome :D

EDIT:

:eek:

Wow, you even offer whole campaigns to download!

Can't wait to try it out playing with TrueCombatRules.

Not completed campaigns. Just starting points, in the form of a spreadsheet and the core force .cme file. Still, a good help.

I will, in the future, offer custom campaigns with customized rules. The Guderian campaigns in the rules is an example - taking a core force from Guderian's PanzerGruppe from June 41 to December. The special rules will take care of the shorter timespan and tailor the battles to the historical setting for that force and time. But I haven't got a spreadsheet that supports this yet.

Frikorps Danmark (a battalion of Danish SS volunteers) is another similar project I have in mind.

Mr. Olesen ...!

I am very very impressed by your work ... excellent in a single word! A humongous effort that deserves a big 'congratulations!' to you and your team for making this gem. I dare say that with ROQC, Biltong et al has gotten some naaaaaaaasty competition ... which is very good in a market forces kind of way ... :rolleyes:

Good to see the good olde 'Dannebrog' (Danish flag to all you non Danes) held high and beautiful ... :cool:

I have used this evening to download and read the rules and setup my first battle, and I must say that the quality of the rules and the Excell sheet is spitzenklasse.

Robert, what are the plans for the future of this fine product? Are you planning a migration to CMAK?

To support the cause I will of course report any findings while reading and playing although I am not sure I will find any ... even the typos are very few and far between :cool:

As noted I have started a campaign tonight ... 'The PanzerJäger'. The special rules for this campaign state that

Your core force can only consist of armoured vehicles labeled Tank Hunter or Tank Destroyer in the purchase screen of the game.
The answer to my next question might seem trivial and obvious, but I am none the less in doubt of wheather this applies only to the armoured contingent in the core force as it (potentially) expands, or to the core force par se. In other words ... is the core force only meant to consist of armoured vehicles (TD's and TH's) or is infantry also applicable?. I know I am allowed to play as I see fit but I would like to play it 'right' and to the intend of the creators (playtested also I presume).

Robert ... enough for now ... but if you ever organize a Danish CMXX event or hear of any such endeavour then please send me a mail, as I would be very interested to participate. And should you ever feel the need for some Danish PBEM then don't think twice about mailing me ...

Once again thank you very much for sharing this gem and putting in all the hard hours to make it happen ...

Sincerely ...

[ October 26, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: HawkerT ]

Congratulations on finishing ROQC!

Doing a similar thing myself I know how much work is put into this!

Guys, whenever you play a battle and curse about the bookkeeping - What Rob has done took far more work than your bookkeeping.

BTW: Blame the bookkeeping on BFC :D

Rob, have you ever considered asking BFC to allow for importing custom maps into the scenario editor while keeping the forces? Or importing ended games into the editor?

I guess ROQC would profit from that as well as BCR. The next battle would be much easier to set up than now. If yes, maybe we should send them a mail.

Gruß

Joachim

Thanks, everyone

I'v been away for a few days, let me see if I can pick up on the answers

API's are an interesting thought. I tried using Open office, but it uses Java, not VB, and simply commented out all my VB code. I guess the solution could be Java that's accessed from VB, but it's bound to require a good deal of work. Probably easier to write a complete, independent Java application. I have no plans for doing that - I'm not very used to Java (to put it mildly).

HawkerT:

I'll look forward to those error reports. Eeh, I mean, I'll look forward to not getting any, but I'm happy that you'll post those you find. smile.gif

The intention of the PanzerJäger campaign is to limit your core force to Tank Hunters / Tank Destroyers - i.e. no infantry. But you're free to modify this of you like to limit your vehicles to those types. Whatever you find interesting.

I don't expect I'll ever organize a danish CMXX event, I have to admit redface.gif that I have never played CMBO or CMBB online. But I had contact with a Dane a couple of years ago wo did organize events for CM. I have lost contact with him and have a feeling he dropped out of CM. Let's continue this on email of you'd like more info. I'll have to dig out his name and email addy.

Where in Denmark are you located? I'll think about that pbem opportunity. I barely have time for the one ongoing pbem I have, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Scarhead:

I got those files today, but haven't had a chance to look at them. I have made a couple of feeble atempts at requesting features for CM that would help me in the campaign, but I guess a coordinated email would be a good idea. I'll have to think about the features I'd like to have. There are a few. I'll drop you an email with these (or you could send me one first). I wasn't aware that there was an email address you could use for requests like this. I'm probably also interested in making use of your maps sometime - but it all takes time and effort.

[ October 30, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

First of all I'd like to congratulate Biltong and Robert for all their hard work in giving us the campaigns we never had. I can only imagine the amount of hours it took to develop all these ideas and then put it in writing.

I know this has been a horse that's been beat to death but after trying out Biltong's campaign(talk about time intensive and at times confusing and frustrating) and getting ready to try Robert's campaign I for one will be glad when CM includes a campaign. Again this is not a knock against their work and I can only imagine the time it would take to actually include a campaign in-game. So until then I'll continue to learn, to enjoy, and to occasionally bang my head against the wall! ;)

[ October 31, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: WKA Buffpuff ]

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo Robert and all current ROQC fans.

I have been playing 3 battles now in a small version of "The Long Walk" campaign with just one Green (10 exp. points) German Infantry platton.

I have been doing good in the first two battles and so I now also have a 75mm IG and a Sd Kfz 7. My HQ has just turned Regular (20 exp. point) and the rest of the Zug will follow shortly. This even though my third battle was a real tough nut that left me with -36 favour points. I was given the order to probe with green Romanian Infantry (60% ammo) and the AI had Regular Combined arms with +75% handicap and 80% ammo. So I came out with no flags taken, but I managed to do some Rasputin pushing none the less and only suffered three casualties in my core force, so all in all a very intriguing experience (I have never lost to the AI before).

I must say that my initial feeling for the product (ROQC) of extreme quality and firmness is holding water. This is one beautifull product and it really has given the whole CMBB (and CMAK soon) experience a good notch back up the fun factor ladder. I really really hope the CMX2 will sport a full blown campaign incorporating some of the ideas we are seeing in ROQC and other campaigns from the CM Community.

I promised to share any findings and this is the little I have found so far:

1) Mortar kills does not generate experience points, even though all other types of guns and vehicles does! I am using the beautiful and very professional ROQC spreadsheet and there is no column in the core force sheet for Mortar kills and the rules does not include mortars into the Gun kill column (or the Infantry kill column for that matter). Is this intentional Robert?

2) The experience of core force additions must be taken from the "experience of replacement" roll from the last battle, right? In the spreadsheet this value is nicely listed above the replacemet columns where one can also shift personal between units (if prudent). However core force additions are done in "the next" spreadsheet for the new battle and thus the "experience of replacement" value is not there anymore. It is not hard to reopen and find the value in the "old spreadsheet" or just plain remember the value, but it would be nice if the value was carried over and presented clearly as "experience of additions" in the "new spreadsheet".

Once again thank you very much for this fine CM Gem Robert!

CM Campaigning forever ...

This campaign thing looks very nice and I would like to play it, but I'm lost, went to the site and don't know really what to do. i got all the campaigns but what's with the rules?

what do i need to get?

and where do I put the campaign files?

i'll add that i didnt play CMBB for an year.

this is a very good addition to the mod/cmbb community and since the CMBO days I know that alot of people wished for a campaign mode, such where you and your units advance in rank, gain experience.. like in close combat series and East Front.

thanks to all repliers

Frans, two good catches:

1) On Mortars.

You're right, they don't count for experience. I'm not sure if they should. I have a feeling that knocking out a gun is more important than a mortar, esp. a 50mm mortar, but it's not based on facts. I'd appreciate some comments on that from others.

I could differentiate the amount of experience you get for mortars, e.g. requiring you to get two before you get an experience point, but that's not a minor change as I'd have to add a column to the core force sheet and redo the numbering of the columns.

2) On Replacement experience.

There is a discrepancy, but I don't think it's the one you're addressing. Replacement and core force updates is happening between the old and new battles, so the die roll modifiers could conceivably come from any of those months.

I realized this just as I needed to finalize the spreadsheet and rules for publication in PC4War - I had to freeze them by the end of October.

I'm inclined to assume that the replacements arrive in the month that you lose the men, if only to keep the rules simpler. But you're right, the value is needed when you upgrade the core force. I'll add it to the Control Sheet.

Mafiozo:

You put the ROQC files in any odd directory. I recommend making a directory for the rules files and another for each campaign.

Interaction with CMBB is described quite well in the rules and in the first post of this thread. You don't need any of the ROQC files in CMBB proper (except for the .cme files included in the campaign downloads), they are used separately for keeping track of your battles.

Keep me posted if you're still confused.

Hi, tried your campaign and it seems fun. Minor issue do, when i push the blue arrow to calculate and prepare the next battle i recieve a error (vb?).

Another thing: After i followed the doc about clearing the zones in the map-editor and placing the units (no flags as suggested) things became weird at the final battle. My forces were south (so the enemy north) map 740 width / 1440 height (as the *.xls says so).

However, at the battle my zone was west and the enemy's zone east. Very wrong i think. "fixed" this by editing the map again, placing the zones north and south and played 4 flags. Started the QB, loaded the map and bought the auxilary units and then things were oke.

So maybe is automacicly calculating the zones by the computer not such a good idea afterall or i do something terribly wrong :eek:

Originally posted by 88mm:

Hi, tried your campaign and it seems fun. Minor issue do, when i push the blue arrow to calculate and prepare the next battle i recieve a error (vb?).

Minor? Seems a large one to mee. I can think of two possible explanations.

a) You're using an untested version combination of Excel and the OS

B) There's an error in your input to the spreadsheet.

Email me the spreadsheet with version info and I'll see if i can reproduce the problem.

Another thing: After i followed the doc about clearing the zones in the map-editor and placing the units (no flags as suggested) things became weird at the final battle. My forces were south (so the enemy north) map 740 width / 1440 height (as the *.xls says so).

However, at the battle my zone was west and the enemy's zone east. Very wrong i think. "fixed" this by editing the map again, placing the zones north and south and played 4 flags. Started the QB, loaded the map and bought the auxilary units and then things were oke.

So maybe is automacicly calculating the zones by the computer not such a good idea afterall or i do something terribly wrong :eek:

The QB generator cannot import the map orientation with a map. It simply assumes the default East edge for Allied and West edge for Axis.

I used to have a rule reversing map edges in retreat battles, but I removed it when I discovered this incapability. So, you might as well not try to reorient the map in the editor - Or did you manage to succeed in doing this? Your text might read that way. Please advice me if you actually made it work. I was pretty sure it can't be done.

[ November 19, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

Happy to report the Excel-error is solved. Seems to have been a "security" issue. Also i discovered to follow the points exactly as spoken of in the "control" tab, and all goes well.

About the zones; yes it is possible to start whereever you want, checked it (first scenario) and works perfectly. However; you must not forget to fill in the direction in the "parameter"-screen from the editor. In this case, germans started south and the russians north. Then you can setup the rest and generate the map. After that it's easy; mark the zones with red and green where the forces should start. you can even use more colors to divide forces in your own group. For example: suppose you place 2 platoons of tanks. One goes in the green zone, the other in the black. Black and green are both german "jump"-off positions. When you fire up the QB, the platton in the green zone cannot be placed in the black zone and vice-verca. Ideal to force players to make small "battle-groups".

One note do: it seems that the QB-setup doesn't place the flags right, so when done this way place the flags in the editor too

ps; tested it with static and dynamic settings, the flags are not correctly played either way. So flags should be set manually in the editor. Annoying too is the placement of your units, they apear 90 degrees turned on the West/east edges of the map, aldo they are correclt placed in the right zone.

[ November 19, 2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: 88mm ]

Robert,

Your campaign seems to be Danish Dynamite! :D

I'm now on battle 2 of the Justice campaign (of course have to start with Finns!).

Never tried these "campaigns" before, but now it seems that your campaign interests me more than PBEM. Also I care about my core force and don't try any crazy tricks - it would be a disaster to lose a whole platoon, or even a squad. BTW, in the first mission got only 1 casuality and my best core squad eliminated 49 enemies. :cool:

Also, it is veeery nice that I don't have to use pen&paper to advance playing.

Thanks mate!

Hallo Robert.

Okay then .... Leichte und Schwere Mörser .... hmmm well it seems to me that at least Hvy Mtr's (81mm and 120mm) should count for good kill points. After all, we are talking Bn Level up Assets here. Also they are very valuable assets in game to fire direct or indirect via HQ spotter on bunched up infantry and their specialty ... towed gun killing. So in my mind a 81 mortar is worth approximately the same as a 75mm Infanterie Geschütz 1918 (maybe more due to the better mobility and indirect capability) and 120mm Mtr's approximately between the 75mm IG and the 150mm IG or maybe even on par with the 150mm IG.

50mm Mörser on the other hand is not a biggie but they are quite effective when used in combination with HMG's ... the HMG's stop and bunch the infantry (e.g. in a wood line) and the 50mm Mtr breaks them with nasty little tree bursts ... :cool: . Also the 50mm Mtr may be the only thing able to stop a Rasputin gun when going infantry only .... sooooooo what I am getting at is that it should be put maybe on par with a HMG (maybe a bit lower)

Anyway that is just my feeble attempts at being clever .... a doomed project from the start I know, but hey ... who dares! Wins!

So let my end by quoting the former Danish Foreign Secratary Mr. Uffe Elleman Jensen: "If you can't join them, beat them!" said the day after Denmark had punished Germany 2-0 in the European Soccer Championship Final, and a few days ealier failed to fully agree to the EU Maastrict treaty thus making Denmark a second rate EU member. smile.gif

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

88mm, I'll update the rules to state that it is possible to change the direction of the battle, but I won't require it as it is a complicated process and the gain is purely cosmetic.

Kaiser and ParaBellum, thanks for the praise and I'm glad you're enjoying it. That's why I made it.

Danish Dynamite :D :eek:

Well, you asked for it :D I agree it's a little complicated and doesn't add much. It's only usefull in very realistic (historicle?) scenario's/operations.

After six fights i lost my first Panzer (started with the david/gloliath campaign), promoted to captain underway and upgraded the platoon to PZ IIIj (late). Now, battle 9, feb 1942 i am facing T34 icm with KV's :eek: . No added forces except a PSW223 which i bought for the core. How the heck i keep my Pz alive :mad:

Think i run this turn , only to see my 2 promotion point vaporize like snow in the sun :rolleyes:

where are the 88mm Flak when you need them :confused: :D

Robert, one thing I noticed almost immediately.

In your campaigns, change every team's leader names.

Now CM generates the names and that breaks the immersion to have the same guys fighting battle after battle.

At least in Justice-campaign it generated the names and caused confusion. I renamed them all as they were on battle 1 and now it works smile.gif