CMBB Mod - Tutorial

Hello,

Looking at all these amazing mods all around (CMMOS, cmmods.com...) I was wondering where I could find a tutorial to learn "How to make my own mod-experimentation" ? I don't pretend to start modding any panzer but, just to know how to do it and test...

The only website I know is the "Zimorodok's mission" or so... but it's on Paint Shop Pro... and I only have Photoshop. It's very well done and gives some clue about the stuff.

Thanks for any help !

Cheers smile.gif

Geepers, I've done tons of mods in Photoshop. Where would I start telling someone how to do a mod...

Open the individual bmp files (once you've figured out which ones you want to modify) in Photoshop and do ANYTHING you want to them, no matter how subtle or outragious. It's your art and there are no (few) rules.

But keep the colors RGB.

And don't deviate from the standard dimensions (2pixels wide ,4 ,8 ,16 ,32 pixels wide, 64, 128 ,256, or 512 pixels wide) or you'll crash the game on startup. Has something to do with binary numbers or something.

And don't accidentally resave in a format other than bmp format or you may get yourself into a world of trouble.

A handy hint, you can keep CMBB running and still work on the art! I open the scenario editor and place my subject tank on a small piece of real estate. I then jump to the desktop and do my work in Photoshop, then save the altered bmp file to the game's bmp folder and return to the CMBB scenario editor. I quit out of the map preview and re-preview, the vehicle with the bmp mod applied to it will appear in place of the old texture. A quick way to check your work as you go.

Good luck!

Originally posted by gautrek:

The main thing to remember is ALWAYS,ALWAYS back up copys of the standard bmps you are working on somewhere safe.

And then when you cock up as you will (because we all do it) you have the standard bmps to fall back on.

smile.gif

what happened to the tutorial site you were doing?

I had mentioned doing a PS companion to gautrek

tutorial he has coming out. This of course is sort of on the side as I just started school full time and in the process of trying to find a part time job now. so it leaves me mostly the weekend to work on it.

I just finished my 1st mod using gautrek tutorial and am in the process of putting final touches on it.. Though his was geared towards PSP as well I used Photoshop to do it.. Both program are nearly the same as far as the tools go..and for what is different you can actually use the help function and locate the PS equivalent. I hope to have something worked up by this weekend.. depending on Homework load.

There was an excellent modding tutorial posted in the forum a few months ago ... (last Nov i think).

I think it was done by Gordon ... but not sure, and was in 3 or 4 parts ... I did a quick search but couldnt find it.

I remember saving it all as a .doc file ... but as my PC is down for another day or so I cant check to see it I still have it.

Originally posted by Lou2000:

There was an excellent modding tutorial posted in the forum a few months ago ... (last Nov i think).

I think it was done by Gordon ... but not sure, and was in 3 or 4 parts ... I did a quick search but couldnt find it.

I remember saving it all as a .doc file ... but as my PC is down for another day or so I cant check to see it I still have it.

he uploaded em in the database just look for Oldoggs name

If you are looking for somewhere to start modding ... you may also want Gordons mud tutorial, mike8g's vehicle bmp spreadsheet, Kingfisher's 'modders' series and Voidhawks annotated vehicle bmps .... all available at cmmods.

Voidhawks mod shows you each vehicle with numbered bmp's in a very nice 60's psychodelic

paint scheme .....it would really benefit from turning into a CMMOS mod though !

Well those are all the things I'm using ... however I wont be releasing anything until I can get somewhere near Mr Noobie or Panzermartins stuff ... Yr in for a loooooong wait :D