Mod's WIP

I am just starting out camo'ing a stug.

I need some advice.

Looking at the photo it would seem that the camo only covers the skirt.So do people want me to carry on with this and if so do you want the whole thing camo'ing or would people be happy with just the skirts being done.

Is the green and red to bright, as i have taken the colours from a web site.

So what do you think less bright colours and a hasty camo over the rest or just leave the camo on the skirts and dirty up the rest.

mycamo.jpg

stug_4_1.jpg

[ August 18, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

If it weren't for the B&W photo, I might have thought this was similar to the "Austin Powers Carrier" Mod in CMBO. :eek: Because of the photo, it's real, but unique. I would say tone down the colors, because camo is suppose to divert the eye and not attract it. ;)

This photo also raises the question of adding the tarp (?) cover to the base of the gun--as seen in the photo. This would be a cool feature but I'm guessing this can't be done (unless totally reworked?).

I guess what bothers me most is that this psychedelic pattern reminds me of my college days. :D I never said "groovy" in my day but I will confess to "far out". :cool:

Hmm, well yes...the pic doesnt really show if the rest is covered with the same ore any patern so its hard to say. I think they might just not have done the rest because they couldnt reach it and more so its none visible anyways...but as for your tank this isnt the case...so...well its what one likes then.

I also prefer a bit more softened tone.

Are u sure about these colours, anyway?

Could be any colour, really if u only have this pic.

( i recently saw another mod, that time based upon a drawing of a tank, and not a very detailed one in that, with some colouring to it, but i wouldnt have picket such starting information to begin with....what i mean is...well whatever tongue.gif )

If u make it the way u have now, it will be a one-off tank indeed. Its a choice. Maybe less would get more people to maybe use it.

Not?...

...well, thats what i think.

...BUT !! since u picked this one, and since u have started it up in the way u did here? I think u wanted something else, for just the heck of it, so...

U catch my drift; tongue.gif

greets.

[ July 31, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

The 'colors' in the foto are a function of relative light values on a grey scale, not saturaration or hue values. So my take is, tone down the Green, tone up the Red.

From what I understand about b/w fotos vs. real life, it looks like the Green was painted on with a brush (sharp edges) & the Red was daubed on with a brush (sharp splatters or, er, daubs). Same 'strength', different 'edges'.

Also from what I understand about b/w fotos vs. real life, the rear panel only looks washed out because it's more 'lit up'. Look at the front panel. It looks less 'lit up'. They should all be the same 'lit', unless you want to use make them look a little out of whack (hey, this is an interesting idea).

Regarding the rest of the Tank, there doesn't seem to be Zimmerit, & I'd bet it's painted the same way, you just can't see it because of the b/w vs. real life stuff above.

This is definately a 'field applied' Camo, & if you can capture that aspect (maybe streaky, uneven 'colors') it would be Historical & Very Interesting.

That'smystoryandi'mstickntooit.

strt

Hmmm. I've got to agree with Tooz about the sixies. Wonder what they were smoking when they did that pattern? :D As far as the mod I would really really tone down the green and apply the camo to the entire vehicle. I don't know if the picture shows the rest of the tank that clearly to decide if the entire vehicle is done in that camo pattern or not but I would hope the mod would be. I personally think the mod would look weird unless it was or like it wasn't finished. Now that I think about it that pattern reminds me of one of those lamps. Not saying that's bad just reminds me of one. ;)

My suggestions:

1. All the panels should be camo'd, but not the tank itself.

2. Maybe make the pattern all green instead of green & red?? If it was a "field" job, who says they were lucky enough to have 2 colors of paint. Might help tone down the psycadelic look a little.

3. At first I thought it was a little bizarre, but now that you've shown what the original looks like, I think it's pretty cool!

Disclaimer: These are only MY opinions and since I have NO artistic capability, take them as such, only suggestions. Thanks!

Originally posted by MikeT:

Kev, I have saved a color drawing from a website that I will send you. This might help in some way.

MikeT

Thanks for that but i have used the colours from this website as a starting point.

I think i will tone down the colours slightly and leave the rest of the hull as it is.

And i may also do an all green version as well.

If i did do the whole tank then i can't see what other camo scheme would go with this.I think it would look wrong what ever i did.

So look out for a mod with a few differant choices of skirt camo.That way you can decide when you download them.

Check out this site for the notes on this camo

AFV news

Also flesh is going to have a tweek of it himself so watch this space.

This will also have to wait a couple of weeks as i'm of on my hols on sat.

I am aimimg to get to bovington tank museum again and also going to see HMS Victory

HMS Victory :cool:

[ August 01, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

i like the behind plate done differently like this.

It makes it alot more interesting.

And its already alot better now.

Are u going to give the rest of the tank some more of that gautrek look also?...Just go for the whole treatment, i would say :D

It could become a very nice mod indeed.

[ August 01, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Hmmm. I've got to agree with Tooz about the sixies. Wonder what they were smoking when they did that pattern?... ;)

An Afrika Korp vet (then a professor at U of MD),

told me they truly enjoyed "kif" in the desert, regularly trading for it witn the arabs. Doesn't Sven Hassel? - a questionable source - write of opium cigarette rations?

Re: the rear panel; I too think it a lighting-due-to-angle effect.

Originally posted by theike:

i like the behind plate done differently like this.

It makes it alot more interesting.

And its already alot better now.

Are u going to give the rest of the tank some more of that gautrek look also?...Just go for the whole treatment, i would say :D

It could become a very nice mod indeed.

Yes don't worry i will gautrek up the rest of the tank when i get back of my holidays in a couple of weeks.

I will have a think about the hull and see what i can come up with.because if you look at the website image he has added camo to the top of the hull

Also i will do a version with all the panels camo'ed. :cool:

Nice

But could you lose the camo off the wheels and lower hull.

In fact i still am not sure about the hull being camo'ed.

It would have been nice to have more than one photo.

It looks so much better when an expert does it.

But i will stick at my version as well as i need the practice on doing camo. :D

Beautiful job,I've always dug this paint job.The caption to this photo taken from the excellent Panzer Colors series says that "someone in the crew was obviously an admirer of Pablo Picasso".My opinion is that two colors applied over the base dunkelgelb is more accurate,just muted a little more would be perfect,and also I think the camo scheme should just be applied to the skirts.Just my opinion,again brilliant work!!

Now that is more what I felt the picture looked like. The lighting was so bad on the original picture that it was very hard to see that the entire vehicle was camo'ed or at least that's how it looked to me. Now that last panel is camo'ed too in the picture but for some reason it is more faded looking or the glare from the sun is making it look faded but it is camo'ed. I can plainly see that in the picture I'm looking at. As far as the wheels being camo'ed that I can't tell but neither way on that would work I'd think. Flesh while I like your mod the color that you are using is a lot or exactly like a couple of your other mods so what if you kept the scheme but used a somewhat different color green? Maybe somewhere between your color and gautrek's?

gautrek said:

It looks so much better when an expert does it.

gautrek while there is no doubt that Flesh is an expert and makes some fantastic mods and certainly not knocking him or his wonderful mods because he is one of my favorite modders and a damn nice guy to boot I have to say that you too are good and I have several of your mods that I prize and use in the game. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ummm i dont know why you guys are leaving the last shurtzen blank... look closely at the picture and you will see that the camo is there too... i just think that its angled towards the sun and therefore reflecting the rays and making the contrast fainter... but its there... promise :D

oh and G... the hull is actually camoed too... you can see it on the "fender"

ive saved the picture and will send it to you highligting the areas im talking about if you want me to...

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

ummm i dont know why you guys are leaving the last shurtzen blank... look closely at the picture and you will see that the camo is there too... i just think that its angled towards the sun and therefore reflecting the rays and making the contrast fainter... but its there... promise :D

oh and G... the hull is actually camoed too... you can see it on the "fender"

ive saved the picture and will send it to you highligting the areas im talking about if you want me to...

Dont worry i am going to do all the panels (just for you :D ) and i will also do a version as is.

I will have a closer look at the picture again but by all means send me the picture then i will see what you are talking about.

[ August 15, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

Here is my latest version.

I am more happy with this now.

I have redone the camo scheme again,changed the colour and added the rear panel.I have also left the red off as it seems to look better without it.

I have also made a start on dirtying up the rest.

mycamo2.jpg

So if people are happy with this is will finish up the rest.

[ August 16, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]