Mod Posted - Tricolour StuH42 late

To young modder -- keeping the Zimmerit texture under the camou.

A least in painting programs like Adobe Photoshop you're given the option to work in different layers and to set your layers to 'overlay', or 'darken' or 'multiply', or several other options. These options let you merge the camou layer with the base art layer instead of just applying one on top of the other. If you play with the top layer's brighness, opacity, density in combination with setting the layer to 'multiply' you can do some really subtle shading and coloring.

Others will have to tell you how similar other paint programs are to this.

[ June 25, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

If you want this scheme on the late StuG IIIG all you have to do is change the bmp numbers (except the different cannon bmps can't change). The late StuH and StuG are the same vehicle except for the gun.

Me, I'm so fond of the mid StuH42 mod (which I NEVER see in the game) I have half an urge to change-over the numbers to make it a mid Stug IIIG (whic is in practically every scenario!)

As long as you're VERY careful the Stug and StuH mods can mix-and-match a lot of art.

Oh... and while I'm at it... anybody feel up to doing the StuG III F...?

I'm thinking of doing a weathered version of the Flesh/Mikey StuG III G series but since I have the artistic talents of a rather unusually untalented earwig I would be delighted if anybody else felt up to doing this.

-Derfel

[ June 25, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Derfel ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

If you want this scheme on the late StuG IIIG all you have to do is change the bmp numbers (except the different cannon bmps can't change). The late StuH and StuG are the same vehicle except for the gun.

Me, I'm so fond of the mid StuH42 mod (which I NEVER see in the game) I have half an urge to change-over the numbers to make it a mid Stug IIIG (whic is in practically every scenario!)

As long as you're VERY careful the Stug and StuH mods can mix-and-match a lot of art.

MikeyD,

I would like to try this but I have one question. Which BMPs are for the cannon?

BMP for cannon on ALL: Fifth bmp down the column, the one ending with ---4.bmp

A word of caution on mixing & matching.

Some Stugs of course had the early gun mantlet and some have the late cast (easy to tell), but also some hulls have a raised box at the rear of the engine deck while others don't! As a matter of fact two of the default textures had forgot about the box and just overlayed the tow cables. The late StuGs/StuHs are both missing the boxes so it's safe to switch.

About a StuG IV mod, I had actually started this project hunting down the Stug IV art for modding, but after I had stumbled across 8 versions of the Stug IIIG I fugured I ought to switch priorities. Stug IV is going to be a bit toughter as there's no plain vehicle to do the base art on. Edging into the from-scratch territory.

[ June 25, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Did somebody say StugIV? ;)

Flesh_StugIV_WIP_Tricolour.jpg

I managed to produce this mod by using the textures from my PzIVH mod and some of the textures from Mike's StugIIIG pack. I hope he doesn't mind. I still have to clean up some rough edges, remove some pinkies etc. It should be ready in a day or two.

[ June 25, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Flesh ]

Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Flesh:

Did somebody say StugIV? ;)

Wow! very nice StugIV

I've seen pics of StuH42s with and without muzzle brakes. Was there a dominant version between the two? just curious... </font>

The StugIV is almost ready to go. I've touched up the small details, removed the pinkies etc.

Anyway, should I keep the current camo scheme? If not, what do you guys suggest? Stripes, spots, splotches?

Should it be bicolour or tricolour?

Should I use the one of the camo schemes I did for the StugIIIG mods?

Also, should I keep the current base colour. If not, what should it be? Dark tan, cream, green?

I humbly cast my vote in favor for a bi- or tri-colour scheme on the lines of your Stug III "Middle" rather than the "leopard" style camo of your latest offerings... just a personal preference, I know nothing of historical camo-schemes.

As for base colour.. the one in the pic above seems excellent to me.

And I do beseech thee... tactical markings, if included, as options!

As alway, my greatest appriciation to you and all other modders spending precious time bringing joy to us modsluts...

-Derfel

[ June 27, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Derfel ]

Very nice work Flesh. We do appreciate you modders and the time you devote to making this game even better and more fun to look at. As far as camo I personally prefer tri-color. The base color seems good to me as is. As far as pattern I like an assortment in my tanks meaning some stripes some spots etc. I don't want them to look all alike. Anyway, great job it looks very good and dying to get it in the game. You guys really are tops!

Derfel, your vote has been duly noted. smile.gif

You're currently winning the vote 1-0. If nobody else votes, it's gonna be bicolour stripes with the current base colour.

Also, don't worry, I'll add markings. Any preferences? Just crosses or crosses and numbers?

I'll make them optional too.

Sorry Lee, you must have posted while I was typing my last post.

So, it's one vote for tricolour spots and one vote for bicolour stripes, both with the current base colour. It looks like I may have to do two versions to keep you guys happy. No problem. smile.gif

Okay, I've done both versions - tricolour spots and bicolour stripes, both with the current base colour. I also darkened the brown component of the tricolour camo. I thought it could do with the extra contrast.

Anyway, here's Lee's requested tricolour version.

Flesh_StugIV_Tricolour.jpg

This is the bicolour version for Derfel.

Flesh_StugIV_Bicolour.jpg

Don't worry, I'll add the markings. Just want to make sure that the camo is right first. ;)